TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unusual collision warning

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by lomli, Oct 30, 2015.

1. lomli

lomli Member

I was driving to work today, slowing down to stop at a stoplight on a 4 lane road, no one in front of me, and the collision warning alerted suggesting that there was a car there. There were some cars executing a left turn crossing in front of me, but they were quite far away. The only thing I could think of is that the 2 red stoplights made the car think there were brake lights illuminated in front of me. Very strange...

2. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Probably the cars turning in front of you.

3. ionking

ionking New Member

I just took delivery of my P90DL a few day ago and I have experienced a similar issue essentially from the beginning. Basically the warning for an object (non-existent) just to the left/front of the driver's side headlight shows up. Usually it happens when I am at a red light with a slight curb (maybe 8" tall) to my left and as I begin to drive it gives me the "STOP" warning. After i go above about 7MPH, still driving along the same curb/median the warning goes away. It will also do it on occasion when I am at a stop-sign or light with nothing at all to my front left. Maybe just an overly sensitive sensor?

4. Max*

Max* Charging

Tesla has a TSB for using too much paint on the parking sensors. It's like a ghost object randomly shows up. Your car is fairly new, I would've assumed they fixed that by now on new cars, but you may want to call service and see if your car qualifies for the TSB.

5. lomli

lomli Member

I don't think so - they were turning VERY far away - at least 2 lanes' distance....