Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual energy graph after I left my car at Discount Tire overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hasn't it happened before that people thought Tesla was doing the same thing when servicing their cars, but it turned out that the gauge will show such spikes when there is big electrical load during sitting while messing with the A/C, Radio, etc.?

^
this exactly. In fact, the vertical line and usage would suggest the opposite. The car sat while "on" but the energy usage wasn't spread out over any distance.

So, for my own peace of mind (not to mention being able to explain it around here), even if they put the car on a lift to change the tires, they would have to put the car into jack mode correct? I imagine if the lift was not level, the car may have the potential to struggle with the technician trying to work on it. So, do you need to leave the car on once it's in jack mode? And would that have an impact on the power usage as indicated above?

Living in New England where the potholes can be large enough to hide large farm animals, I will be spending some time in the tire store and I want to insure I educate them properly if needed.

Does writing down the odometer reading not work for the Tesla? I always make it a point to write down the odometer reading in front of whoever is servicing my vehicles so they know I'm keeping track. That doesn't prevent them from gunning the car for a short distance, but it does deter them from taking any extended joy rides. Plus they would know that I'm more likely to check on them via the app & hopefully deter them further from even thinking about a joy ride.

Does writing down the odometer reading not work for the Tesla? I always make it a point to write down the odometer reading in front of whoever is servicing my vehicles so they know I'm keeping track. That doesn't prevent them from gunning the car for a short distance, but it does deter them from taking any extended joy rides. Plus they would know that I'm more likely to check on them via the app & hopefully deter them further from even thinking about a joy ride.

Easier way if you have a smartphone with a camera -- snap a quick shot of odometer when you drop off car. Then snap one when you get the car back.
I do this all the time, also with rentals.

Hasn't it happened before that people thought Tesla was doing the same thing when servicing their cars, but it turned out that the gauge will show such spikes when there is big electrical load during sitting while messing with the A/C, Radio, etc.?

I guess in my fury I never stopped to think about how I probably couldn't emulate that kind of spike even if I tried. I'm not sure what they would have done to create it. As far as I know all they did was tow and then swap out the tires which would have involved putting the car in the highest suspension setting and then putting it in "jack" mode for when they had to take the wheels off...I don't suppose either of those could have created a spike? Plus it lasts on the chart for at least two miles. I'll give the Tesla service guys (who have been great to deal with) a call first thing in the morning to see if they can shed some light on what may have happened. Until then, I'm open to entertaining any and all theories.

^
this exactly. In fact, the vertical line and usage would suggest the opposite. The car sat while "on" but the energy usage wasn't spread out over any distance.

actually that graph is indicative of it being pegged FOR A SOLID 2-3 MILES. If it were just sitting in the garage with electronics on for a long time, then the second it goes .1 mile it would look like an immediate NARROW spike up really high up then straight back down. Given that this spike is WIDE over a 2-3 mile range on the x-axis, the car was definitely being driven over that distance. So the only remaining question is whether or not that distance was carried out on the roads with them flooring it illegally or if it was on a dyno being floored to test wheel balance.

actually that graph is indicative of it being pegged FOR A SOLID 2-3 MILES. If it were just sitting in the garage with electronics on for a long time, then the second it goes .1 mile it would look like an immediate NARROW spike up really high up then straight back down. Given that this spike is WIDE over a 2-3 mile range on the x-axis, the car was definitely being driven over that distance. So the only remaining question is whether or not that distance was carried out on the roads with them flooring it illegally or if it was on a dyno being floored to test wheel balance.
To test the balance of wheels, it's not necessary to put a significant load on the drivetrain.

I'm also skeptical a tire shop would have the type of dyno that would be equipped to put such a heavy load on a vehicle's drivetrain and properly restrain the vehicle to keep the vehicle from lurching out of the dyno under those conditions.

I don't think it would be possible to use 900KW continuously for 2-3 miles, let alone instantly begin and then instantly stop and be right back where you started. At least not in a retail area where a tire shop would be. I think the more logical explanation is a the consumption is not spread over enough miles.

The energy usage graph averages the power consumption over a few miles. This is why you don't see sky high spikes when accelerating, or when stopped at a red light.

The nature of this averaging means that driving (no matter how hard) you wont be able to get a leading vertical energy spike. And there is NO way you can get a vertical trailing spike while driving. Try for yourself. It just isn't possible.

This is indicative of a considerable power consumption while not moving at all. Then the distance over which that power is used is averaged.

maybe someone can do a test: say if you were detailing the inside of your car or just chillin' enjoying a beautiful day, open all your doors, have the heat / ac pumping, & music flowing for 1-2 hours, then see what the energy graph looks like. I wish I had time to do it, but I work too much =P

This is not a joyride. Notice there's no regen at the end. Try starting at 130 mph, then reducing energy usage that quickly without the graph going into the green. (Then again, don't). It may be possible, but probably quite difficult. Even if you slam on the brakes and hold, I think you'll still get a green section on the graph.

It's stationary energy usage, as others have stated.

I updated the maps and firmware in my Roadster. A process that takes several hours with the key on all that time. I too had a similar spike and I KNOW no one took the car for a joy ride. Why not go straight to Discount Tire? Tesla does not know.

Last edited:
To test the balance of wheels, it's not necessary to put a significant load on the drivetrain.

I'm also skeptical a tire shop would have the type of dyno that would be equipped to put such a heavy load on a vehicle's drivetrain and properly restrain the vehicle to keep the vehicle from lurching out of the dyno under those conditions.

If they ran it on a dyno for that long, you'll need a new set of tires.

Thanks mod, I was actually just sitting here trying to figure out how to change the title of this thread to something a little less accusatory. So after reading everyone's posts I also went ahead and had a conversation with Tesla. They were able to tell me how many miles were put on the car between certain hours of the day yesterday and some generalized information about how much energy was consumed but that was about it. Nothing to prove what happened either good or bad. However, I'm now on the side of most of the posters on this thread that the car was more than likely left on while being worked on over some extended period of time which caused the "tower effect" to appear on the energy graph. Hopefully everyone can understand why I would have initially thought otherwise...I really try to baby this car and I think with this being the first time it was in the hands of anyone but Tesla themselves for service I was a little bit oversensitive.

My apologies to Discount Tire and for the record I've had nothing but positive experiences with them in the past. I'll go ahead and write and update on my initial post as well. Thanks to everyone for helping clear things up.