Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual homelink issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked the forums to see if anybody else has this issue, but I didn't find anything. I'm hoping somebody else knows what to do?

I have a Marantec garage door, and it works normally when I use the manufacturer's remote, and it works fine when triggered by our other car (Lexus).

I have programmed it to the Tesla, and it kind of works, but it seems to trigger twice.

So when you press the button on the Tesla to open the garage, it starts to open, then after 2-3 seconds (and the garage has moved 12 inches) it stops as if the button was pressed again.

Then when you press the button again, it closes. then you try again to open it, but it stops again 12 inches.

It takes 5 - 6 tries to get it to trigger exactly once when opening.

I thought it might be a problem with the springs on the garage, but this problem doesn't exist when opening from my lexus, when pressing the wall button, or when using the normal remote control

I have learned how to drive up to my driveway so that the FIRST time it fails to trigger, and the SECOND trigger actually opens the garage, but it means I have to make sure my car is pointed AWAY from the garage as I am approaching my house, and then turn to face the garage after the homelink has started to activate.

I seems like the Model X is transmitting the signal twice? Any ideas?

Maybe a stupid question, but is your garage on a rolling code? If so, did you set it to learn in the 2nd step while programming the Tesla? If so, could you forget the remote and just try it again? I swear I have seen this issue before when it screwed up the rolling code learning and starting emitting the signal more than once.

Thanks for the reply.

I _think_ it is on a rolling code. I have a marantec q7900. The model is old enough that the specs aren't on the marantec website, but I know that today's marantecs seem to use rolling code? I was able to problem the homelink in my other cars without doing anything special.

When setting it up, it really doesn't give the option to set the opener into the learn mode.
If I change the transmit mode in the car to "default reciever", then I have the instructions to turn on "learn mode". I have tried that, but it didn't seem to work.

If it did work though, I'm not sure I want to do that? If I understand it correctly, then what will happen is that the garage door will now learn the code that the car selects, and you ditch the old remote? The challenge here is that I need to program more than one car to the same door, so I would have to transmit the code from my car to the other cars? . For example, my parents visit frequently and they use the garage door code that is programmed in their car (which works fine).

As a final note, the remote that the manufacturer supplies comes with 4 buttons so you can program the garage door to any of the 4 codes on the remote. I have tried multiple codes from that remote, but it gives the same problem.

Thanks again for any help