Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual kwh consumption past week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I have a 2020, Aug 2020 LR AWD + Accel Boost car that seems to be eating more power the past week. I’d been having city trips <260 kwh and an extended 1000 mile trip that averaged 290kwh last month. Now, it seems my car is eating 330kwh on short <50mph trips. It is hot, ~90 degrees, but I haven’t noticed this kind of hit on previous hot days. The car is using 20% of the battery for 25-30 miles.

It has version 2021.4.18.2.

Are my expectations for hot summer driving too high? It changed so drastically that I think it might be a bug in the software.

Thanks!

Hello - I have a 2020, Aug 2020 LR AWD + Accel Boost car that seems to be eating more power the past week. I’d been having city trips <260 kwh and an extended 1000 mile trip that averaged 290kwh last month. Now, it seems my car is eating 330kwh on short <50mph trips. It is hot, ~90 degrees, but I haven’t noticed this kind of hit on previous hot days. The car is using 20% of the battery for 25-30 miles.

Are my expectations for hot summer driving too high? It changed so drastically that I think it might be a bug in the software.

Thanks!

Short trips are usually less efficient than longer trips as the Tesla vehicle will use additional energy to warm or cool the passenger cabin at the beginning of the trip, less over time to maintain the temperature of the passenger cabin. Expect to use more energy to run the AC to cool the Model Y in summer. It helps if you can park in a covered location. If you turn on the AC about 5 to 7 minutes before you leave using the Tesla app then the energy used will not be factored into your driving efficiency, it does however consume some power from the battery but relative to warming up the Tesla vehicle in winter the energy used to cool down the Tesla vehicle is much less.

When driving you can reduce the work load on the AC system if you set Cabin Air Recirculate to ON in the Climate Control settings. The AC works less when warm outside air is not continuously being pulled into the cabin.

Consider installing a sun shade for the glass roof of the Model Y. Also, you may be able to add tinting material to the front and rear windows, rear hatch glass. In many jurisdictions there are limits to what you can do to adding any tint to the windshield.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Last weekend driving I8 into Arizona (temperatures around 115F) energy consumption was at least 30% higher than normal. And relatively short trips might be worse than long distance driving as the A/C needs to cool down the interior every time you start a trip. Was the car parked outside in the sun?

BTW: I always feel like consumption is high if it's over 300-320, but really it's in the realm of 10-15% more than normal.

NVM: seems like a double post. Unusual kwh consumption past week

Last edited:
Several Short trips in HOT or COLD temps will eat a lot of electrons. I learned years ago wit( my Volts that I precondition cabin at home on “shore power” then run my errands but I never shut the car off and waste all the cabin temps. So now when I get out of m6 car and I’m only going to be gone for 45 minutes or less I put the car in DOG MODE. You’d be amazed how efficient that is over shutting the car off only to re cool/heat the cabin.

Reactions: tstolze
See the other post here.

Several Short trips in HOT or COLD temps will eat a lot of electrons. I learned years ago wit( my Volts that I precondition cabin at home on “shore power” then run my errands but I never shut the car off and waste all the cabin temps. So now when I get out of m6 car and I’m only going to be gone for 45 minutes or less I put the car in DOG MODE. You’d be amazed how efficient that is over shutting the car off only to re cool/heat the cabin.

I don't understand how this is remotely possible given thermodynamics...

Reactions: MolecBiologist

Thanks!

Your consumption of 330 Wh/mi (watt hours per mile) doesn’t seem unreasonable considering the hot weather we’ve been having. The power required for the air conditioner to cool the cabin after being parked in the sun is substantial.

As an experiment, you might try turning off the climate control for a day or two and see if your consumption returns to normal. Seeking out shady parking spaces can also make a big difference, particularly if you rely on public charging instead of home charging.

I don't understand how this is remotely possible given thermodynamics...

I was thinking that the car heats the battery pack to operating temp and cools the cabin, then would turn both off after a drive, letting temps drift towards ambient.

However, if the car actively chills the battery for "storage mode" after driving then I guess energy consumption could be higher.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the errant double post..

Today it drive 50mi with 15kw of energy used, averaging 300kwh after a round trip 2x 10mi interstate hop. Sorry for the rough numbers above, I was just rounding from my gut after I’d gotten out of the car.

Fortunately I do use a Wall Charger at home, so not a big deal, but I don’t have the benefit of shade. I do typically pre-condition the cabin a few minutes before I leave.

I think what this really makes obvious to me is how poorly the EPA rating sets expectations on available range. If I didn’t constantly see 300+ mile range everywhere, a 250+ actual range wouldn’t be so annoying..

My car is liking warmer temps and getting good efficiency as usual. AC is working well set to 70 deg and fan=2.

~68 miles at 232 Wh/mi average

MY_efficiency_jun27.jpg