Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unusual outlet for EV charging, what do I need here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife's work has a bunch of dedicated EV spots and most of them just have a regular 110v.

One spot seems to have this 220 setup which would be great. It looks like a 6-20 adapter, but the middle comes out quite a bit. Is there some sort of custom adapter that is needed here?

I know Aerovironment makes chargers but I can't clearly see what would work.

Attachments

• 3692909644624614214.jpg
    3692909644624614214.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 175
Yes, I think someone just left it there by mistake. You should be able to just pull it off and my guess is that you'll find a normal NEMA 5-20 20A 120V receptacle behind it.

I am curious if what is behind there is a 5-15 or a 5-20. If it is a 5-20 then if you get the 5-20 adapter from Tesla then you can charge 33% (or more due to base charging overhead) than with just a 5-15. Though the challenge may be those outdoor plug covers not liking the 90 degree Tesla connector. One possible solution would be a 6" extension cord of sufficient ampacity. Not optimal, but I don't see a lot of other choices to not otherwise put a lot of stress on the charge cord/receptacle.

I am curious if what is behind there is a 5-15 or a 5-20. If it is a 5-20 then if you get the 5-20 adapter from Tesla then you can charge 33% (or more due to base charging overhead) than with just a 5-15. Though the challenge may be those outdoor plug covers not liking the 90 degree Tesla connector. One possible solution would be a 6" extension cord of sufficient ampacity. Not optimal, but I don't see a lot of other choices to not otherwise put a lot of stress on the charge cord/receptacle.

Oh hold on a sec, Derek above was I think correct. Looking at that helpful Amazon link from @CUBldr97 that adapter is to go from a 6-20 receptacle (240v) but then allow the Turbocord to plug into it with the default 5-15 plug on the end of the Turbocord. So yeah, if you pull that part out that someone else accidentally left there, then you are likely to find a 6-20 receptacle which with the right Tesla adapter should give you well more than double the charging rate of a 5-15! Score!

Oh hold on a sec, Derek above was I think correct. Looking at that helpful Amazon link from @CUBldr97 that adapter is to go from a 6-20 receptacle (240v) but then allow the Turbocord to plug into it with the default 5-15 plug on the end of the Turbocord. So yeah, if you pull that part out that someone else accidentally left there, then you are likely to find a 6-20 receptacle which with the right Tesla adapter should give you well more than double the charging rate of a 5-15! Score!

I think you will find this is the same outlet as all the others once you remove the adapter.