TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

unusual outlet for EV charging, what do I need here?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ezevphl, Aug 3, 2018.

1. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

So my wife's work has a bunch of dedicated EV spots and most of them just have a regular 110v.

One spot seems to have this 220 setup which would be great. It looks like a 6-20 adapter, but the middle comes out quite a bit. Is there some sort of custom adapter that is needed here?

I know Aerovironment makes chargers but I can't clearly see what would work.

Attached Files:

2. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

3. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

you might be able to "unplug the grey part... if thats the case then a normal 6-20 adapter,

• Like x 1
  4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

#4 Derek Kessler, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    That is a nonstandard outlet designed to work exclusively with Aerovironment's portable charge connector. Behind there should be a NEMA 6-20 — 240V at 20A. Thankfully, Tesla sells an adapter for that plug.

• Like x 1
  5. sjokomelk

sjokomelk Member

That is an adapter from 5-15 plug to a 6-20 socket only for the Aeroviroment TurboCord. Behind it there is only a normal 15A 120V outlet.

The TurboCord can run on both 120 and 240V.

6. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

That is exactly it. Its a Turbocord adapter.
    It didn't seem to move very easily, but maybe it was just left in there for a long time.
    Will have to try again later.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yes, I think someone just left it there by mistake. You should be able to just pull it off and my guess is that you'll find a normal NEMA 5-20 20A 120V receptacle behind it.

• Like x 1
  8. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

I am curious if what is behind there is a 5-15 or a 5-20. If it is a 5-20 then if you get the 5-20 adapter from Tesla then you can charge 33% (or more due to base charging overhead) than with just a 5-15. Though the challenge may be those outdoor plug covers not liking the 90 degree Tesla connector. One possible solution would be a 6" extension cord of sufficient ampacity. Not optimal, but I don't see a lot of other choices to not otherwise put a lot of stress on the charge cord/receptacle.

9. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Oh hold on a sec, Derek above was I think correct. Looking at that helpful Amazon link from @CUBldr97 that adapter is to go from a 6-20 receptacle (240v) but then allow the Turbocord to plug into it with the default 5-15 plug on the end of the Turbocord. So yeah, if you pull that part out that someone else accidentally left there, then you are likely to find a 6-20 receptacle which with the right Tesla adapter should give you well more than double the charging rate of a 5-15! Score!

10. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

I think you will find this is the same outlet as all the others once you remove the adapter.

11. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Or keep the weird adaptor there, and that way, you know you've always got an unused charger when you need one :p

• Funny x 1
  12. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

That was part of the confusion. All the others are 110.. this is the one that was labeled 220.
    Anyway, I'm sure its just stuck in there a bit...