Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual problems - Mobile service fixed them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two unusual problems with my 2016 X. The first dealt with a glitchy driver's side mirror, and the second was focused on the charge port lights. Here is the story - about two weeks ago I noticed that when I opened the driver's side door to get into the car, the driver's side mirror started to try to move into a different position, but was unable to. It "clicked" (that was my description of the sound) but stayed in place, and continued to click for about ten seconds. This happened every time I got in the car, and every time I put the car in park to exit the car. I tried various fixes like folding the mirror casing in and out, moving the mirror manually or with the mirror buttons, but nothing seemed to stop the clicking.
The second problem related to the LED lighting around the charge port which seemed to point out that a bulb was burnt out. Yesterday, when the Tesla ranger was here, the light around the charge port seemed to be strobing.
We called Tesla last Thursday, and they scheduled a mobile technician to come out on Monday. (We live about 300 miles from the nearest service center.)
The technician showed up on time, replaced the mirror assembly with another (he said it was plug and play), and then addressed the charge port. He worked from inside the rear trunk, pulled out the charge port, and we noted that the compartment underneath the port was full of water! We both understood there must be something wrong with the drainage system. It was gunked up, and he cleaned it out, (our car lives outside and is always being bombarded with pine and spruce needles). He suggested covering the charge port when charging in the rain (which I did today.) One thing I did not realize is that a firmware update was needed after he put in a new charge port, because the charge port needs to be registered to the car in order for charging to take place. This must be the way Tesla tracks Supercharger status (like our free supercharging for the life of the vehicle.)
I was quite happy as is usual in my interactions with the Tesla rangers. They perform "yeoman's service". I also got confirmation that our three year service can be done here at home (except for tire alignment). I'm a happy camper (and soon to be down in Napa with our Airstream and the X being exactly that!)