Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual Questions from the Public

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He actually lost that bet in a big way. If you define engine has a motor that drives the wheels and a generator as a motor that charges the battery, he still would have lost.

For the Chevy Volt, at highway speeds, above 60mph I believe, the engine (generator) drives the wheels and not charges the battery. Its more efficient that way so that's how the Volt rolls. So the argument that its only serves as a generator is actually incorrect.

I talked to a guy who owned a Volt recently who swore up and down that his car DID NOT have a gasoline engine. Some of us standing there knew better and offered a small wager to settle the question. He was so confidant that he upped the small wager to a large bet! LOL lucky for him we didn't make him pay! When we asked about what happened to the stuff in the gas tank he said "well, yeah it has a gas tank but no engine, nothing with pistons or anything like that!" So we opened his hood and showed him his oil dip stick, and something else (plug wires? can't remember) that only piston powered engines have. Dumbfounded, he said "OK, it has a gas generator, but no engine!" He was a really nice guy so we were trying not to make him look stupid but it was all we could do not to start laughing out loud. He had 2 advanced degrees, both from Ivy League institutions.

My Boxster S, before my Roadster, was orange with black wheels and I got many comments on it with nearly all positive, but a work buddy did ask me if I got a discount on it because of the color (he was being serious); best/funniest comment I got about that car.
Mine is Brilliant Yellow with black wheels. I tell people the color is louder than the motor :tongue:

Do I Look Like a Tesla Owner?

I think this qualifies as "unusual". Twice now, I've been out at a restaurant or Starbucks and have had someone come in, walk right up to me and ask if the Tesla in the parking lot is mine. Based on the time I'd been there, I'm reasonably confident they didn't see me come in with it, and it's not like I was sitting by the window staring lovingly at the car. On one of the occasions it was a cop. Neither person knew who or what Tesla was and were very surprised that the car was electric. I guess I must just have that "Tesla glow" about me or something.

I must look the exact opposite of you. I have had a lot of people that sounded very surprised to find out I was the owner; in fact a few have even said something like "you don't look like a Tesla owner" or "you're not who I was expecting". I guess I haven't seen the group photo yet.

I did have somebody on a crowded ferry once ask me if I owned the Tesla down below; I was surprised at first, but soon remembered I was wearing a Tesla hat.

I must look the exact opposite of you. I have had a lot of people that sounded very surprised to find out I was the owner; in fact a few have even said something like "you don't look like a Tesla owner" or "you're not who I was expecting". I guess I haven't seen the group photo yet.

I did have somebody on a crowded ferry once ask me if I owned the Tesla down below; I was surprised at first, but soon remembered I was wearing a Tesla hat.

Chad... classic!!! ROFL! :)

I think this qualifies as "unusual". Twice now, I've been out at a restaurant or Starbucks and have had someone come in, walk right up to me and ask if the Tesla in the parking lot is mine. Based on the time I'd been there, I'm reasonably confident they didn't see me come in with it, and it's not like I was sitting by the window staring lovingly at the car. On one of the occasions it was a cop. Neither person knew who or what Tesla was and were very surprised that the car was electric. I guess I must just have that "Tesla glow" about me or something.

Do you wear a Rolex?

It's because you left your J1772 adapter on the table.

At yesterday's car show I had someone comment on how I didn't look like someone who would own a Tesla.

At yesterday's car show I had someone comment on how I didn't look like someone who would own a Tesla.

One thing I have noticed from meeting several Tesla owners is they are a diverse bunch, by age, gender, ethnicity, job, etc. there is no 'type'. I think people buy the S for lots of different reasons (environmental, cutting edge tech, speed, styling, new approach to an old model, etc), this makes them very diverse. Though you can't say anyone buying a S is economically downtrodden, there are owners who wouldn't blink at buying a 100k car and others who spent 2-3x on the S as they did for their car. But I can say everone I've met so far (at meetups and superchargers) have been Exceedingly nice, it would be great if this is what Tesla owners were known for. (ie,"You don't seem like a Tesla owner, 'cause you're a real A**).

When I park my Roadster at Santana Row, I usually stop and wait a second outside my car listening to people talk about it. I like to hear the different comments, some who know a lot about Tesla, whilst others not so much. I then proceed to unlock the car and open the door for my girlfriend. They all then go "whoa" that's yours?

It's a good feeling.

My favorite comment I have heard so far would be one today, "That must be the lower end Tesla, you know, the one for the average people."

I've had a similar occurrence... A few days after getting the car, I was having a late lunch at a local place. A guy at the table across from me got up, threw his food away and went outside. Then came right back in and walked straight over and asked if the Tesla was mine and we had a 5 min conversation about it. But I chalked it up to being ~3pm and the fact that there were only a few tables taken...

Do you wear a Rolex?

Hardly! I was likely wearing old jeans and a t-shirt.

- - - Updated - - -

It's because you left your J1772 adapter on the table.

LOL. I do have a Tesla jacket, but wasn't wearing it at the time. These guys didn't even know the car was electric, so they probably wouldn't have recognized the adapter in the first place. The cop that came up to me was interested in how I was able to "import" the car into Canada. We had quite a chat about Tesla, the car, Elon and stuff. I think he was pretty impressed in the end.