Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusually High Wh/Mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing super high numbers last few days. Temps been cooler (30s) but haven't gone faster than 45, no elevation changes, heaters not on blast etc..

IMG_0982.jpeg
IMG_0983.jpeg

It is hard to tell much from a wh/mi figure by itself. It's energy divided by distance, so we need to know a bit more about both of those.

Are you making many long stops during the day where the car sits and cools off? Startup heating is a big hit that can really knock down efficiency.

Or, similarly, do you do a lot of sitting in the car without moving? That also uses energy without moving the car any distance, so your energy/mile ratio will go way up. (Which sometimes makes people think that shop employees have been abusing their cars when they see high wh/mi figures; it is usually just the car sitting in the shop with the door open and the heater on).

As an example, try backing the car to the end of your driveway, sit in the car with the heater on for 30 minutes (maybe you can watch Netflix), then go inside the house for an hour while the car cools off. Then come back out and drive the car back in to your garage; and sit in the car there with the heater on for another 30 minutes. The wh/mi ratio for that 50-foot trip will be breathtakingly awful.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Parked in an, albeit detached, garage. Temp stays between 40-50 in there in Winter months. Regen is set to normal and no crazy driving. Literally just like running errands around town, don't think I've ever gone above 50mph in any stretches. I was around the 280-320 mark. We were on vacation January 13-31 and I noticed it after we returned. Car was parked and plugged in at home. Did just get the latest update (though I have no text message support still)

Next time you drive it consider feeling the wheels each near the hub. If a brake is stuck one should feel obviously warmer than the others.
Brake disassembly and lubrication is often neglected maintenance but more often presents a problem with soft brake pedal rather than dragging.
Check all 4 tire pressures manually too not that I think them being low would cause this level of consumption.

I live near Green Bay so colder and if I fail to preheat I can see this level of consumption on my 7 mile typical trips when cold but to me 30 isn't cold.

On my 2015 P85D I average about 460WH/mile, but I have extensive soundproofing throughout. Added a good bit of weight.

Sound proofing weight isn't affecting WH/M much. If you added 3% to weight 144lbs with sound proofing that would be pretty nuts and if it added 3% to consumption that is 12wh/m if you would have been at 400, and 400 would already be high. Point being the sound deadening is a complete non-factor.

Guessing you have performance tires, a heavy foot, and uneven terrain.

During the cold weather when I was stuck on 2019.40.2.1, I was seeing the same thing with wh/mi readings over 1000 for short trips. The firmware was upgraded to 2020.4.1 a couple weeks ago and since then I have not seen any readings like that. I'm not sure that the firmware upgrade had anything to do with it, however.

I will check out the brakes tomorrow and see if a brake seems locked up. if not, is this potentially a battery issue? im under warranty so no concern, just want to get an idea

Not a battery issue. That's an excessive energy expending issue. I have no idea if there is anything to it, but there may be different battery heater stages, and it's possible that the lower stage(s) are not working, so it has to kick it into high heat mode for the battery to warm up. I'm completely guessing here - I know nothing about this. But it's excessive energy output, nothing to do with battery specifically.

Not a battery issue. That's an excessive energy expending issue. I have no idea if there is anything to it, but there may be different battery heater stages, and it's possible that the lower stage(s) are not working, so it has to kick it into high heat mode for the battery to warm up. I'm completely guessing here - I know nothing about this. But it's excessive energy output, nothing to do with battery specifically.

Thanks. Good news is my local Service Center is fantastic and only a few minutes from my house now that they opened their new service center.. plus a neighbor is a service advisor there so whatever it is im confident they will get it squared away.

Reactions: ahkahn
I have a 2014 P85 and only time I average anywhere near 400 is winter near Green Bay and at that I can have stretches that go over 500 in cold weather.

460 seems wildly high for an S.
You know, a while back I had an incomplete redeploy of the firmware. (long story) Since then every so often the front fans go on and, even when plugged in, the 12v battery goes dead. Obviously the DC-DC is not kicking on to charge it and other things have gone nuts.

My 12v is a LiFePO4 so is very resilient and it's not possible for it to catch fire like LiIon can sometimes, although its charge drops all the way to 30mV, lol. My charger thinks its leads are not connected so I have to take the battery to Interstate for a recharge. Then the car is fine for a while. This has happened about 3 times. The pack's charge is not affected.

But this may mean that charge and drive handling is also affected due to the bad redeploy. Car's sitting out there dead now and I'll get the 12v recharged tonight.