Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling Official Invite in LA on 3/31 in Evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is legit, it means that basically everyone putting a deposit down at the store (whether you lined up the day before and slept on the street) or rolled in during your lunch break will all be reserving sight unseen.

Not from what I heard. According to the staff in the Dallas store, they don't expect to be allowed to accept reservations until after the CA reveal event has occurred.

Here in Calgary at the Tesla store in Canada, they are fully expecting line-ups on March 31st based on the sheer number of inquiries they've had on a daily basis. Knowing how Tesla does things though, no matter how fast a Canadian is in reserving a new Tesla car, the USA buyers get it first (as they should, it's made in America for goodness sake!).

As for the rumours of about photographs vs. actual prototype, just look at the 10K SEC filing: Tesla Motors - Annual Report

"As of December 31, 2015 the following two performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:

·
Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype; and

·
Successful completion of the Model 3 Beta Prototype"

Plus, why in the world would they send out invites and get people to pay for flights and accommodations just so they can get them into a room show them photographs? Doesn't make any sense, and the only people that keep spreading this nonsense are short-sellers of the stock and maybe General Motors sympathizers.

Not from what I heard. According to the staff in the Dallas store, they don't expect to be allowed to accept reservations until after the CA reveal event has occurred.

I expect there will be details to follow soon. Because it doesn't make sense to say in-store reservations will open on 3/31, but have the reveal so late no one can actually do it. There are still a lot of questions about how this will work. Stay tuned.

I expect there will be details to follow soon. Because it doesn't make sense to say in-store reservations will open on 3/31, but have the reveal so late no one can actually do it. There are still a lot of questions about how this will work. Stay tuned.

Exactly. IF, the event starts at 7 pm Cal time, that's 9pm here in TX.

Exactly. IF, the event starts at 7 pm Cal time, that's 9pm here in TX.
Yeah, and 10 pm on the east coast. I can't see that happening when stores are going to be taking customer reservations. Many stores are inside of shopping malls and they will be forced to close their doors within an hour of the mall closing on a weeknight. The unveiling has got to be early afternoon, maybe around 3 - 4 pm California time, so east coast stores can take the next 3 to 4 hours to take people's money.

Yeah, and 10 pm on the east coast. I can't see that happening when stores are going to be taking customer reservations. Many stores are inside of shopping malls and they will be forced to close their doors within an hour of the mall closing on a weeknight. The unveiling has got to be early afternoon, maybe around 3 - 4 pm California time, so east coast stores can take the next 3 to 4 hours to take people's money.

I'll be laughing at all the people who camped out the night before only to realize they need to wait inline until 7pm to place an order.

I'll be laughing at all the people who camped out the night before only to realize they need to wait inline until 7pm to place an order.
To be somewhat assured of the $7500 tax credit, people WILL camp overnight even if they know they can't put a deposit down until later in the day. At least that's what I'm hoping to see in the news. I'll be smiling if I see that, not laughing.

To be somewhat assured of the $7500 tax credit, people WILL camp overnight even if they know they can't put a deposit down until later in the day. At least that's what I'm hoping to see in the news. I'll be smiling if I see that, not laughing.

Except Elon has already told us that "well spec'd" cars will come off the line first.

If you camp out for hours and have #1, and get on the Configurator and order a $35,000 base model....

and I get online the next day, with #15,000 and I order a fully loaded Model 3.....I'm getting mine first.

And yea, i'll probably smile.

Except Elon has already told us that "well spec'd" cars will come off the line first.

If you camp out for hours and have #1, and get on the Configurator and order a $35,000 base model....

and I get online the next day, with #15,000 and I order a fully loaded Model 3.....I'm getting mine first.

And yea, i'll probably smile.
But if I get online the next day with #15000 and I order a $35000 base model, woo boy you can bet the other guy is going to be smiling when I get my delivery date!

Ding ding ding! You've stumbled upon the reason for camping out for a base model!

No. You've misunderstood.

You might be the FIRST base model delivered if you've ended up with a low number....

But you're still going to be behind the "well spec'd" models. I guess if you want to be the 1st base model, then yes, camping out works for you. But the more realistic way to get a low VIN (not low-reservation number) Model 3 is to spend, spend, spend. check some boxes. spec it out.