Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling Official Invite in LA on 3/31 in Evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or have a curtain open to reveal a giant photo of the M3 and have him start talking about it. Then, all of a sudden, have the prototype come bursting through the photo. That would be great!

I hope this is what happens, maybe minus the bursting. Walk in, show an image on the screen and say "There she is!" [Elon awkward laugh] and then have the prototype drive in from the side.

Not to be a party pooper but.... How many invitations have gone out? So far is it just to referral program winners? That's like 20 people?

How far in advance did MX Event invitations go out? Is this going to be a small event or a big party with hundreds of invitations?

Let me put it this way - we don't know what % of 3 owners will be environmentally conscious vs economics vs buying for status/performance (ofcourse there is overall between the groups). Tesla talks as if they are targeting only the second group.

I don't know if there has been a poll here - it would be interesting (though highly unrepresentative).

Well there are more criteria:
environmentally conscious
economics
status
performance
aesthetics / design
luxury (not badging - but construction precision, quality materials such as headliners and carpet, soft interior surfaces. All doable in a $30k ICE)
ergonomics
UI
technology (Autopilot, Summon)
convenience (refueling, service)
etc.

I would fall into "other", rather than one of those three bins.

On the chance that I might get a (guest) invite, I booked tickets to fly to LA for the reveal event on the 31st.
But my flight is in the morning as the stores are opening... So if the stores really do start taking orders when they first open, I will have missed the chance to be one of the early ones to make a deposit.

I wonder if they might do a separate list for orders taken at the reveal event so that they get priority over people who ordered at the stores in the morning before the event?

I think some people who "won an invite by way of enough S referrals" are flying in from East Coast or even Europe to go to the reveal event. They would probably be even more disappointed if they get in the order queue sequence after 10s of thousands of people who were at the store openings instead of in transit to the reveal event.

I'm sure reservations on the 31'st will just be that exactly. Called my local store and they said that you wont have to wait for the unveiling/announcement to reserve it. They plan on fully staffing the showroom that day and will take reservations. Information on the car wont be available until the announcement in LA.

As to the order in which reservations will be counted, I'm guessing they will do it based on region and reach out to everyone at the same time when more information is available.

As they start manufacturing, I'm sure they will reach out to people that have reservations and start asking them to either build the cars online or come back into the showroom and customize it there. The more expensive builds might get built and delivered first.

Except Elon has already told us that "well spec'd" cars will come off the line first.

If you camp out for hours and have #1, and get on the Configurator and order a $35,000 base model....

and I get online the next day, with #15,000 and I order a fully loaded Model 3.....I'm getting mine first.

And yea, i'll probably smile.

Except the majority of the 15k might also be getting the fully loaded car. So you would be behind 10k or so other orders.

- - - Updated - - -

This statement has been thrown around quite a few threads so I have to ask, is there a reason a more expensive build will be rolled out first? Is this something Tesla did with the S and/or X? I'm new to the Tesla world so I'm trying to get an understanding of everything.

Profits.

This statement has been thrown around quite a few threads so I have to ask, is there a reason a more expensive build will be rolled out first? Is this something Tesla did with the S and/or X? I'm new to the Tesla world so I'm trying to get an understanding of everything.

It happened with both the S and the X, and Elon has tweeted that the "highly-optioned" ones would be first for the 3. And it's to make money to pay off investments in tooling, etc since the options make more profit for Tesla

selling the highest price model also helps prevent scalping. Limits the upside from people trying to resell the car.

Based on the Model X, it will make very little difference what your reservation number will be. It all depends on the options you order, your location and somewhat how fast you confirm your order. For the Model X, there are people getting Vin numbers with reservation numbers in to 10k range ahead of numbers in the hundreds. Don't sweat getting an early number. You will all get your car in some "special" Tesla order. Not complaining, just history about to repeat itself for the third time.

Elon stated on the Earnings Report call that "highly optioned" cars would deliver first. Yes, it's because it's more profits - and those profits i'm guessing are needed to get the ramp up.

Past cars had "signature" versions - 1000 cars that were maxed out. Those went first. Sigs aren't being offered this time however, which is probably why they are doing highly optioned cars first for the 3.

I believe for the X, after sigs were done they are doing the P90D version first. But with the issues they've had with the X ramp, it might be what is easiest now - and no guarantee they will do it the same way for the 3. But I think that's what many are expecting - whatever the biggest battery is first. (since that would also fit in with "highly optioned.")

Well something is up with this March 31 event. As I just posted on the Model S forum - I got denied entry today after asking my sales rep for tickets - and I have two Model S's ordered. Had no problem getting into the D event in 2014 and hadn't bought a Tesla yet! Something big is going down March 31 - either that or Elon hasn't much to show and doesn't want to risk getting booed?