Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Distance charging would be awesome for everything, image using any device in your house such as pc/laptop or even the fridge without the need for cables! Ahah
That could be a first step towards charging our vehicles at distance.

But in a more serious note, when do you think this will be announced and how?

Hopefully, never. I don't want my brain fried or the cells in my body disrupted. :)
(Aside from the fact that it's totally impractical and won't work on any meaningful scale)
When I said "when do you think this will be announced and how" I mean the actual "17th" announcement that should be made today.
I was asking at what hour are you betting and if this announcements are usually made via twitter, a post in the website, a video or a presentation like the M3 part1 reveal?

Tesla posted a mini announcement in their blog today ... :cool:
Tesla and Panasonic to Collaborate on Photovoltaic Cell and Module Production in Buffalo, New York

Tesla and Panasonic to Collaborate on Photovoltaic Cell and Module Production in Buffalo, New York
The Tesla Team October 16, 2016
Tesla and Panasonic have entered into a non-binding letter of intent under which they will begin collaborating on the manufacturing and production of photovoltaic (PV) cells and modules in Buffalo, New York. Under this agreement, which is contingent upon shareholders' approval of Tesla’s acquisition of SolarCity, Tesla will use the cells and modules in a solar energy system that will work seamlessly with Powerwall and Powerpack, Tesla’s energy storage products. With the aid of installation, sales and financing capabilities from SolarCity, Tesla will bring an integrated sustainable energy solution to residential, commercial, and grid-scale customers.

The parties intend for Panasonic to begin PV cell and module production at the Buffalo facility in 2017. Tesla intends to provide a long-term purchase commitment for those cells from Panasonic. The collaboration extends the established relationship between Tesla and Panasonic, which includes the production of electric vehicle and grid storage battery cells at Tesla’s Gigafactory.

JB Straubel, Chief Technical Officer and Co-founder of Tesla, said “We are excited to expand our partnership with Panasonic as we move towards a combined Tesla and SolarCity. By working together on solar, we will be able to accelerate production of high-efficiency, extremely reliable solar cells and modules at the best cost.”

Shuuji Okayama, Vice-president, Eco Solutions Company of Panasonic, added, “Panasonic PV cells and modules boast industry-leading power generation performance, and achieve high quality and reliability. We expect that the collaboration talks will lead to growth of the Tesla and Panasonic relationship.” The continued partnership between Tesla and Panasonic is an important step in creating fully-integrated energy products for businesses, home owners and utilities, and furthers Tesla’s mission toward a sustainable energy future.

Yes.... this is what I think it is. Tesla is now making a solar panel with Panasonic. They don't even need Solar City to do this. The problem that I have is that Tesla is changing from a car company to a high end Walmart for Green Energy products.
Obviously they don't need SCTY for this because the merger isn't complete.

I wonder if when Tesla starts making wind turbines and other things....that their EV division would suffer.

Below is the full article.

Panasonic Joins Tesla For U.S. Solar Plant -- WSJ
BY Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
— 2:48 AM ET 10/18/2016

Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA) plans to join with Panasonic Corp. (PCRFF) to make solar panels at a factory in Buffalo, N.Y., that originally was to be a SolarCity Corp. (SCTY) manufacturing plant.

Tesla's management team said in a blog post Sunday night that the company has entered into a nonbinding agreement with Panasonic (PCRFF) to "begin collaborating on the manufacturing and production of photovoltaic cells and modules in Buffalo, New York."

Tesla said it plans to sell electric batteries, along with Panasonic's (PCRFF) panels, to residential, commercial and utility customers. SolarCity (SCTY) will sell, finance and install the panels.

The agreement is contingent on approval of Tesla's proposed acquisition of SolarCity (SCTY) in an all-stock deal currently worth about $2.2 billion. Shareholders of the companies, both chaired by entrepreneur Elon Musk, are scheduled to vote on the merger Nov. 17.

Panasonic (PCRFF) is a partner at Tesla's Gigafactory battery plant near Reno, Nev. SolarCity (SCTY) has said it plans to make a new product -- a roof that generates solar power -- at the Buffalo factory. Mr. Musk earlier this month said that both Tesla and SolarCity (SCTY) are involved in the new product, which is set to be unveiled on Oct. 28.

"We are excited to expand our partnership with Panasonic (PCRFF) as we move toward a combined Tesla and SolarCity (SCTY)," said Tesla Chief Technical Officer J.B. Straubel in the blog post. He declined further comment through a spokeswoman.

Shuuji Okayama, vice president, Eco Solutions Company of Panasonic (PCRFF), added, "We expect that the collaboration talks will lead to growth of the Tesla and Panasonic (PCRFF) relationship."

Tesla shares slipped 1.3% to $193.96 while SolarCity (SCTY) lost 1.8% to $19.65, both in 4 p.m. trading on Monday.

Cash-strapped SolarCity (SCTY) faces a series of financial commitments as part of its deal with New York for the Buffalo factory, which is being partially financed by state taxpayers, who are set to cover $750 million in construction and equipment costs.

Among other requirements, SolarCity (SCTY) is supposed to spend $130 million the year after the factory is completed and the manufacturing equipment has been delivered, according to a 2014 agreement between the company and state representatives.

The company promised to create 500 factory jobs and 960 additional jobs in Buffalo, and 2,000 other jobs in the state within five years of the factory's opening.

In response to questions, SolarCity (SCTY) recently said it was committed to the factory project but declined to disclose how it planned to fund it.

The factory is part of a New York economic revitalization project known as the Buffalo Billion that is now the subject of a federal corruption case. SolarCity (SCTY), a tenant in the factory building, hasn't been named in the probe.

Construction of the building is set to be completed next month, and the plant is expected to start churning out products by the end of June, according to Empire State Development, the state agency overseeing the project.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo praised Tesla's plans Monday, saying: "Tesla's partnership with Panasonic (PCRFF) will bring world-class manufacturing expertise to the table, strengthen the company's competitiveness and position the entire region for future economic revitalization."

SolarCity (SCTY) has more than $3 billion in debt and hasn't turned a profit since it went public in 2012. The company spent $438 million this year through June, 42% more than its revenue of $308 million. It had $146 million of cash on June 30, from $421 million a year earlier.

Low on cash, the company has raised $405 million in the last few months to help shore up its finances, including selling $100 million in bonds to Mr. Musk, SolarCity (SCTY) Chief Executive Lyndon Rive, and his brother Peter Rive, the company's chief technology officer. Mr. Musk and the Rive brothers are cousins.

While SolarCity (SCTY) is the largest installer of home solar panels in the U.S., it doesn't currently make the panels it sells. Its move into manufacturing comes at a time when existing makers are struggling due to a global glut of solar panels.

Wholesale panel prices have fallen by about 15% this year, to about 61 cents a watt, on average, said Paula Mints, chief analyst at SPV Market Research in San Jose, Calif., adding that some panels made in China are going for as low as 40 cents a watt.

"As we go down this long road to unprofitability, entering this market is insane," Ms. Mints said.

Kady Cooper, a SolarCity (SCTY) spokeswoman, said the company "can produce high-efficiency panels with superior aesthetics at costs similar to commodity panels."

"Our products require customization that can only be scaled if we control the manufacturing," she added.

Colin Rusch, an analyst at Oppenheimer & Co., questioned the wisdom of Tesla's decision to expand further into the solar industry, but said that adding Panasonic (PCRFF) seemed to make sense.

A partnership with Panasonic (PCRFF) "could materially mitigate the capital needs for SolarCity (SCTY)," he said. He opposes Tesla's proposed SolarCity (SCTY) deal, saying that it isn't "the best and highest use of capital for Tesla shareholders."

SolarCity (SCTY) said Monday that it has created a $300 million fund with Credit Suisse Group to finance home solar-panel installations. The company announced a similar type of fund last month with Citigroup Inc. for $347 million.

Write to Cassandra Sweet at [email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: JOEV1
Yes.... this is what I think it is. Tesla is now making a solar panel with Panasonic. They don't even need Solar City to do this. The problem that I have is that Tesla is changing from a car company to a high end Walmart for Green Energy products.

I wonder if when Tesla starts making wind turbines and other things....that their EV division would suffer.

Below is the full article.

Panasonic Joins Tesla For U.S. Solar Plant -- WSJ
BY Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
— 2:48 AM ET 10/18/2016

Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA) plans to join with Panasonic Corp. (PCRFF) to make solar panels at a factory in Buffalo, N.Y., that originally was to be a SolarCity Corp. (SCTY) manufacturing plant.

Tesla's management team said in a blog post Sunday night that the company has entered into a nonbinding agreement with Panasonic (PCRFF) to "begin collaborating on the manufacturing and production of photovoltaic cells and modules in Buffalo, New York."

Tesla said it plans to sell electric batteries, along with Panasonic's (PCRFF) panels, to residential, commercial and utility customers. SolarCity (SCTY) will sell, finance and install the panels.

The agreement is contingent on approval of Tesla's proposed acquisition of SolarCity (SCTY) in an all-stock deal currently worth about $2.2 billion. Shareholders of the companies, both chaired by entrepreneur Elon Musk, are scheduled to vote on the merger Nov. 17.

Panasonic (PCRFF) is a partner at Tesla's Gigafactory battery plant near Reno, Nev. SolarCity (SCTY) has said it plans to make a new product -- a roof that generates solar power -- at the Buffalo factory. Mr. Musk earlier this month said that both Tesla and SolarCity (SCTY) are involved in the new product, which is set to be unveiled on Oct. 28.

"We are excited to expand our partnership with Panasonic (PCRFF) as we move toward a combined Tesla and SolarCity (SCTY)," said Tesla Chief Technical Officer J.B. Straubel in the blog post. He declined further comment through a spokeswoman.

Shuuji Okayama, vice president, Eco Solutions Company of Panasonic (PCRFF), added, "We expect that the collaboration talks will lead to growth of the Tesla and Panasonic (PCRFF) relationship."

Tesla shares slipped 1.3% to $193.96 while SolarCity (SCTY) lost 1.8% to $19.65, both in 4 p.m. trading on Monday.

Cash-strapped SolarCity (SCTY) faces a series of financial commitments as part of its deal with New York for the Buffalo factory, which is being partially financed by state taxpayers, who are set to cover $750 million in construction and equipment costs.

Among other requirements, SolarCity (SCTY) is supposed to spend $130 million the year after the factory is completed and the manufacturing equipment has been delivered, according to a 2014 agreement between the company and state representatives.

The company promised to create 500 factory jobs and 960 additional jobs in Buffalo, and 2,000 other jobs in the state within five years of the factory's opening.

In response to questions, SolarCity (SCTY) recently said it was committed to the factory project but declined to disclose how it planned to fund it.

The factory is part of a New York economic revitalization project known as the Buffalo Billion that is now the subject of a federal corruption case. SolarCity (SCTY), a tenant in the factory building, hasn't been named in the probe.

Construction of the building is set to be completed next month, and the plant is expected to start churning out products by the end of June, according to Empire State Development, the state agency overseeing the project.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo praised Tesla's plans Monday, saying: "Tesla's partnership with Panasonic (PCRFF) will bring world-class manufacturing expertise to the table, strengthen the company's competitiveness and position the entire region for future economic revitalization."

SolarCity (SCTY) has more than $3 billion in debt and hasn't turned a profit since it went public in 2012. The company spent $438 million this year through June, 42% more than its revenue of $308 million. It had $146 million of cash on June 30, from $421 million a year earlier.

Low on cash, the company has raised $405 million in the last few months to help shore up its finances, including selling $100 million in bonds to Mr. Musk, SolarCity (SCTY) Chief Executive Lyndon Rive, and his brother Peter Rive, the company's chief technology officer. Mr. Musk and the Rive brothers are cousins.

While SolarCity (SCTY) is the largest installer of home solar panels in the U.S., it doesn't currently make the panels it sells. Its move into manufacturing comes at a time when existing makers are struggling due to a global glut of solar panels.

Wholesale panel prices have fallen by about 15% this year, to about 61 cents a watt, on average, said Paula Mints, chief analyst at SPV Market Research in San Jose, Calif., adding that some panels made in China are going for as low as 40 cents a watt.

"As we go down this long road to unprofitability, entering this market is insane," Ms. Mints said.

Kady Cooper, a SolarCity (SCTY) spokeswoman, said the company "can produce high-efficiency panels with superior aesthetics at costs similar to commodity panels."

"Our products require customization that can only be scaled if we control the manufacturing," she added.

Colin Rusch, an analyst at Oppenheimer & Co., questioned the wisdom of Tesla's decision to expand further into the solar industry, but said that adding Panasonic (PCRFF) seemed to make sense.

A partnership with Panasonic (PCRFF) "could materially mitigate the capital needs for SolarCity (SCTY)," he said. He opposes Tesla's proposed SolarCity (SCTY) deal, saying that it isn't "the best and highest use of capital for Tesla shareholders."

SolarCity (SCTY) said Monday that it has created a $300 million fund with Credit Suisse Group to finance home solar-panel installations. The company announced a similar type of fund last month with Citigroup Inc. for $347 million.

Write to Cassandra Sweet at [email protected]

Yes they need.

Solar City sells home solar solutions. They don't sell solar panels.

Read the article. Tesla won't need SCTY to build and make solar panels. Tesla-Panasonic will make solar panels.
I hope today's reveal won't be having millions of people sitting there looking at a solar panel.

Solarcity don't build solar panels. They merely sell and install. That being said, it doesn't mean that Tesla-Panasonic don't need them. They have the expertise and infrastructure. And the article clearly states that the Tesla-Panasonic solar panel build is contingent on Tesla-Solarcity merge.

Solarcity don't build solar panels. They merely sell and install. That being said, it doesn't mean that Tesla-Panasonic don't need them. They have the expertise and infrastructure. And the article clearly states that the Tesla-Panasonic solar panel build is contingent on Tesla-Solarcity merge.
Yes, it definitely means that Tesla does not need Solar City to "produce" solar panels. I have solar panels on my house. I didn't need the manufacturer of my solar panels to install them. I installed them myself.
I wouldn't mind buying Tesla solar panels, however I wouldn't buy them if it was mandated that SolarCIty install them because Solar City solutions are far to expensive.
I've been doing the solar dance for a long time now.... I'm well versed in what Tesla is doing.

If a Tesla-Panasonic solar panel is indeed contingent upon the merger....then Tesla solar panels (roof modules) are going to be far to expensive to sell or use on roofs.

Let me put it this way. I priced out Solar City being my solar solution and after crunching the numbers the only thing they could provide me is a "reduction" in my electric bill - because I would have to "rent" the system from them (52 panels...etc) . I purchased 52 panels "myself" and installed them "myself" and I haven't had an electric bill in 4 years. As a matter of fact I have received an average of $2300 back from ComEd every April 1'st because of overproduction (my interconnection agreement). That check would have gone to Solar City every year if I hadn't been prudent in doing my homework and self install.

I don't have anything against Solar City.....as many folks use the colloquialism ( "Do You !! ").
I just know for sure that Tesla does not need Solar City to make a solar module. Solar City might become more profitable by belonging to a company that makes their own panels...but the two efforts are exclusive from one another.

Last edited:
Yes, it definitely means that Tesla does not need Solar City to "produce" solar panels. I have solar panels on my house. I didn't need the manufacturer of my solar panels to install them. I installed them myself.
I wouldn't mind buying Tesla solar panels, however I wouldn't buy them if it was mandated that SolarCIty install them because Solar City solutions are far to expensive.
I've been doing the solar dance for a long time now.... I'm well versed in what Tesla is doing.

If a Tesla-Panasonic solar panel is indeed contingents upon the merger....then Tesla solar panels (roof modules) are going to be far to expensive to sell or use on roofs.

Maybe when all things are under the same roof (pun intended), the prices will drop.
I have absolutely no experience with solar panels, but I heard somewhere (I think in a podcast) that Solarcity was (is) more expensive because the solar panels they buy are of higher quality compared with their competitors. I don't know if that is true and I don't have any way to tell it. Maybe you know better about this.

Keep in mind then when the merger is concluded, there won't be any Solarcity brand. It is all Tesla, and unless Tesla allows another company to install their solar roofs (maybe because they are legally obliged or in a city where Tesla don't have installers), if you want a Tesla solar panel, then you have to use their service. Will it be cheaper this way? The theory says it will but...

Maybe when all things are under the same roof (pun intended), the prices will drop.
I have absolutely no experience with solar panels, but I heard somewhere (I think in a podcast) that Solarcity was (is) more expensive because the solar panels they buy are of higher quality compared with their competitors. I don't know if that is true and I don't have any way to tell it. Maybe you know better about this.

Keep in mind then when the merger is concluded, there won't be any Solarcity brand. It is all Tesla, and unless Tesla allows another company to install their solar roofs (maybe because they are legally obliged or in a city where Tesla don't have installers), if you want a Tesla solar panel, then you have to use their service. Will it be cheaper this way? The theory says it will but...
I hope they keep the name separate - just like SpaceX just in case SolarCity tanks.

I wouldn't want Tesla Automotive to tank because their parent company can't sell solar solutions.

Actually it is SCTY that has/is building that factory in Buffalo, N.Y.

So yes, the do need SCTY to go on with this plan.
The agreement is contingent on approval of Tesla's proposed acquisition of SolarCity (SCTY) in an all-stock deal currently worth about $2.2 billion.

I'd ask everyone who says "product" rules out Tesla Vision/AP2 to consider the following:
  • Autonomy is a product if you sell it to other vehicle manufacturers.
    (That includes fleet learning, which could become an ongoing revenue stream.)
  • Autonomy enables the mobility service, which is also a product.