Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"And everything shown today is already being installed in Model S and Model X coming off the line today!"
At least, that's what I hope Elon says... :D

I wonder.... I did a factory tour a couple of weeks ago and (oddly I thought) we never went anywhere near final assembly. We stayed strictly in the "body in white" and stamping area. I was a little puzzled by that but it would make sense in the context of some fairly significant modifications to the S/X interior.

Reactions: PaulJB
Model 3, part 2 does not automatically mean the interior reveal or AP 2.0. I think the Model Y, assuming that is the CUV variant of the Model 3, starts to make more sense. If "pencils are down", then they probably have both designs done. A while ago, when people were cranky about the trunk opening, Elon tweeted something about addressing it, which a CUV would do.

A CUV will probably drive another wave of reservations, help the conversion rate of current reservations and mess with GM a bit on their launch of the Bolt.

Reactions: Pluto
With all this, I find it somewhat gratifying that anything 'gee-whiz' regarding the Model 3 just happens to be rolled out about the same time GM starts to roll out their mass market Bolt. Strategically, a way to keep many from defecting to the new GM product and keeps the geek in all of us salivating for our very own Model 3.

Model 3 Part 2 is supposed to explain why the dashboard and controls are so simplistic looking. The most logical reason is due to increased autonomy and thus less input being required from the driver.

The car is going to read the driver's mind.

upload_2016-10-19_15-58-55.png

I think Elon is going to announce "Tesla Vision", the new name for Autopilot and a new interface between the driver and the car, and reveal some details about how it works and what it looks like.

I'm on board with this guess. If so, that would make it a hybrid announcement of what's to come in the Model 3 -- plus what we will now be seeing on all Model S/X's rolling off the line. That way, it draws in more reservations for the Model 3 (hence yesterday's update on delivery time frame for new orders), and Teals also immediately sees more orders for the Model S/X (new and people upgrading to the latest) since what we are about to see a whole new level of AP -- tied into Tesla Vision -- making it an entirely new product.

A new line may be drawn once again when it comes to Tesla models:

PreAP / AP
Single / Dual
Pre Refresh / Refresh
AP / Tesla Vision

Or maybe not.

On one hand, I'd think a Tesla eBike would be awesome. On the other hand, as a shareholder, I'd think why are they spending time on this? Tesla needs to focusing on getting the Model 3 in production and working on advanced technologies that will keep them ahead of everyone else, everything else is a distraction.

Lol, I was totally kidding. Today's announcement has to do with Part 2 of the reveal of Model 3.

Someone earlier in the thread pointed out the choice of "product unveiling" (vs. "product announcement") in the phrasing of the tweet. Props to that person, sorry I didn't dig up your post and flag it as informative.

• unveiling not announcement (i.e. something already announced or at least teased, but thus far not revealed/unveiled)
  • Tesla/SolarCity later, thus it's unlikely to be merger related, or consumer/business energy/power related
  • it's not a capital raise or other financial move
  • it's not hiring/firing unless they're revealing Tesla Employee 1.0 robots

Long before this tweet I had assumed the Model 3 unveil/reveal #2 would be in 2016 and ideally well before the Thanksgiving holidays so as not collide directly with the holiday activity and the flooded product announcement market for consumer eyeballs. Have it in October, at least a couple weeks before Halloween and the shopping march to Christmas and New Year's. Also, ideally you want all the fanatics to have everything memorized in time to have effective "socializing" of Tesla to friends and family over the holidays.

As such, I think it aligns with my previous expectations, phrasing of the tweet, and some current/popular predictions for it to be the following:
1. 2nd reveal/unveil of Model 3 including: (maybe) slightly updated nose, interior including instrument cluster + center screen
2. show off the new autopilot+autonomous capabilities are currently planned (but hopefully, please Elon!, not promising a date for autonomous yet... just AP improvements)
3. give us a taste of that cockpit/spaceship experience previously teased, probably including HUD

^ Rational guess

V Irrational guess
"Model 3 generation" seats that fold completely flat for napping while in autonomous mode, with adjustable pillow and alarm clock app for the main display.
Did I just hear Elon confirm it's "Model 3 reveal duex" tonite? Interesting. :)