Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This raises a lot of questions...

1. what about the just introduced radar-focused AP? Sounds like the new HW will be relying on cameras much more again
2. the fact that apparently all of the current AP features won't work hints to a complete re-haul of the AP architecture (related to point 1)
3. what about sensor redundancy?
4. How will charging work in the L5 world?

All feels "unfinished" and rushed somehow...
Doesn't seem rushed to me at all.

So... not to rain on any parades... but straw poll: if you are taking delivery of an S or X with the new hardware, how do you feel about the fact that when you get it, you might not be able to use:
  • automatic emergency breaking
  • collision warning
  • lane holding
  • active cruise control
All features that, last time I checked, were pretty much among the reasons why anyone would want to pay for autopilot.

What are your thoughts?
It all depends on how long it takes them to tally up the required amount of miles. I'm right in this boat as my Model X order will be confirmed on Friday. I really didn't want to upgrade from my Model S (pre-AP) until the new AP suite was introduced. So it looks like I'm timing it reasonably well.

I was considering buying an inventory car that I test drove last weekend but that's obviously out the window now. I can wait for better AP performance knowing that I'll benefit from it for the majority of my ownership even if it's inconvenient for a couple months (or so).

$5000 for Enhanced Autopilot + $3000 for Full self driving

Sounds like Enhanced Autopilot is the trifocal camera plus the rear camera. Full self driving enables 4 other cameras and can be enabled at a later date.

Some Superchargers will have automatic charging connection capabilities.

Last edited:
So... not to rain on any parades... but straw poll: if you are taking delivery of an S or X with the new hardware, how do you feel about the fact that when you get it, you might not be able to use:
  • automatic emergency breaking
  • collision warning
  • lane holding
  • active cruise control
All features that, last time I checked, were pretty much among the reasons why anyone would want to pay for autopilot.

What are your thoughts?
You are raining on a lot of parades. You have no reference that you will not be able to use anything.

Incremental improvements has be Tesla's practice and this is not an exception.

Incremental - sure. But it has been something like what - 6 weeks? - when the switch away from cameras and focusing on radar was made (saying that that would improve AP a lot), and now things will go back to mainly cameras (my interpretation)?

Oh, and let me add another question:

4. by when does Tesla expect to have current level of AP features available again on the new platform?

From new Model X page. 4 cameras for $5k, add $3 for full autonomy.
Wasn't that promised along with the folding middle seats?
IMG_0311.PNG

You are raining on a lot of parades. You have no reference that you will not be able to use anything.

Yeah, I do... because their blog states exactly that:

"Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."