Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"We are excited to announce that, as of today, all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory – including Model 3 – will have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. Eight surround cameras provide 360 degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength, capable of seeing through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead."

Get ready for the cancellations for people picking up cars without it.
Yep, my car is due for pick up next Tuesday, I see a cancellation happening

I don't think people who recently bought should feel being left off the boat. The fact is full hardware exists on many existing cars, like many many MB or Audi. The thing is that the necessary hardware is FAR from autonomous driving. Elon frequently exaggerates, for example his Mars plans, and this is one of those exaggerations. He thinks that this is the needed hardware. However the software that will bring about auto driving is probably years away. I will see how long it takes for this new system to even marginally exceed AP 1.0.

Basically significant improvement in real function are probably several years away.

The announcement says that all Teslas in production have the capability for full autonomy, but the website says that the hardware is an extra $8,000. It sounds like standard AP is still included, but you can upgrade to 4 cameras or 8 to get the full capability. So if you already ordered and are expecting the full suite, might want to call and make sure you get exactly what you want.