Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incremental - sure. But it has been something like what - 6 weeks? - when the switch away from cameras and focusing on radar was made (saying that that would improve AP a lot), and now things will go back to mainly cameras (my interpretation)?

Oh, and let me add another question:

4. by when does Tesla expect to have current level of AP features available again on the new platform?

It will cost you $8,000 ($5,000 for new Autopilot and additional $3,000 for Self-Driving).

New Autopilot is NOT activated and will be expected to work at the end of this year.

Self-Driving activation is up in the air due to regulatory process. It is unknown. It could be weeks, months or years....

So... not to rain on any parades... but straw poll: if you are taking delivery of an S or X with the new hardware, how do you feel about the fact that when you get it, you might not be able to use:
  • automatic emergency braking
  • collision warning
  • lane holding
  • active cruise control
If it was me, I'd be very pleased that I'll have an even better system... even if it's annoying not to have it right away.

That said... I wonder if the new hardware has been supplied to people who DID NOT buy Autopilot for the last month, because they wouldn't know what they were missing and Tesla might have started generating data.

The announcement says that all Teslas in production have the capability for full autonomy, but the website says that the hardware is an extra $8,000. It sounds like standard AP is still included, but you can upgrade to 4 cameras or 8 to get the full capability. So if you already ordered and are expecting the full suite, might want to call and make sure you get exactly what you want.
All the cars have all the hardware, you pay to turn them on.

Found in updated Order Page:

Enhanced Autopilot $5000 ($6000 upgrade after delivery)
Full Self Driving Capability $3000 ($4000 upgrade after delivery)

So the affordable $35,000 Model 3 is now potentially $43,000 before adding any additional features. I wonder what percentage of Model 3 buyers will opt out of this extra $8,000 when configure their vehicles.

It will cost you $8,000 ($5,000 for new Autopilot and additional $3,000 for Self-Driving).

New Autopilot is NOT activated and will be expected to work at the end of this year.

Self-Driving activation is up in the air due to regulatory process. It is unknown. It could be weeks, months or years....

Thanks! So basically an $8000 bet on a feature set that might or might not materialize, at some point in the future, with a lot of "if's". A typical Tesla product :D

• Disagree
Reactions: Owner and Pdub2015