Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about if it rides a carrier to the nearest metropolis and then drives 300 miles or less to you?

As in if you live in Manhattan, they ship it from California to New York and it drives to the parking garage of your choice or picks you up on the side of the road as you are leaving work.

As in if you live in Crossville, TN they ship it to Nashville and let it drive the 80 miles or so to your house.

Most people live less than 300 miles from some sort of metro area.

This would be acceptable to me. I live <15 miles from a service center.

L5 means if it is legal in your country, state, city there doesn't even have to be a human in the car.

Won't happen for years, but if the hardware, software, and laws all agree that L5 is allowed it would mean the car would be a better driver than almost everyone you know.

I listened to the entire press call this morning and I'm a little skeptical. From what I could gather from the blog post and call it appears Tesla has said the suite of hardware in the car SHOULD be good enough for L5 but it has not been confirmed as of yet. Until that is proven its hard to say they've achieved L5 today.

I wonder how much more advanced this new system is than say what google self driving cars are capable of today.

The base model price is still 35k at this moment and I trust it will be around the same value when it launches.
The base price won't probably increase due to the new hardware, because if they are buying more sensors than before the price for each sensor drops, and technology tends to lower it's price as time goes by.
What will probably cost more is to add Autopilot Software, instead of about 2k that was estimated before to have AP enabled in Model 3, it may cost 4 or 5k to do so. Time will tell.

Apparently the hardware is already going into cars, and I guess the first deliveries are imminent.

If they could have offered feature parity then there probably wouldn't have been an announcement.

Since Sunday the 16th, TeslaInventory.com has loaded at least 27 inventory vehicles with the new autopilot hardware. 23 of those were bound for Europe, 3 for Hong Kong and 1 for the US. I mentioned the X in Fremont here (Autopilot invoice code for new cars) on Monday but I guess nobody was able to check it out before the unveiling.

I guess they got tired of people asking about those vehicles as I checked a few of those vehicles this morning but they weren't available on Tesla's site anymore. They'll probably disappear from the listings shortly.

FYI, they'll show up as "Enhanced Autopilot with Full Self-Driving Capability" or just "Enhanced Autopilot" in the filters. Here's how Great Britain looks currently:
Autopilot.png

Since they are on their way (or maybe already there), hopefully you won't have to wait too long before seeing one in person!

Reactions: J1mbo
Me too surprised. I thought LIDAR is a MUST for Level 5 because it can see in snow and rain. Camera can get reduced capability from rain and dust. But guessing .. because LIDAR needs to protrude from the body to scan it makes them ugly on the car and also increases drag. And that is why they must have avoided it. Will be interesting to see how they tackle this situation.

I thought that LIDAR had problems in rain/snow/fog but that radar could see through it... That is one of the reasons Elon didn't want to use LIDAR. If course I really hoped that Tesla would have at least a rear facing radar...

I thought that LIDAR had problems in rain/snow/fog but that radar could see through it... That is one of the reasons Elon didn't want to use LIDAR. If course I really hoped that Tesla would have at least a rear facing radar...

Rear looking may just need to see a fast approaching car, not necessarily see well. The improvement in the ultrasonics and cameras should be substantial, as hardware 1.0 is old.

I doubt any autonomous vehicle will be "all weather" for a long time. Humans often take a lot of chances driving in heavy rain, snow and fog. I expect it will be unacceptable for autonomous vehicles to take those same risks.

Is it just me or does the song selected for the video give anyone else the heeby jeebies? The entire thing is surreal, cool, and scary at the same time. I am really looking forward to having this on my Model 3. I am going to have a teen driver around a year after I get my model 3 and this really has my brain spinning. I don't even know if she'll need to drive or not at this point. I am still going to teach her but she might not even need her own car. She can ride in the Model 3 where she needs to go while I am at work as long as the car comes and gets me when I am done working.

Is it just me or does the song selected for the video give anyone else the heeby jeebies? The entire thing is surreal, cool, and scary at the same time. I am really looking forward to having this on my Model 3. I am going to have a teen driver around a year after I get my model 3 and this really has my brain spinning. I don't even know if she'll need to drive or not at this point. I am still going to teach her but she might not even need her own car. She can ride in the Model 3 where she needs to go while I am at work as long as the car comes and gets me when I am done working.
I have a 15 year old with a driver's permit and she is driving (with me in the car) everywhere to learn. Let me tell you, I think I am wearing a hole in the passenger side floor where the brake is on the drivers side. ;)

I was thinking of my new Model 3 on the way to school this morning. People will still need to learn how to drive in order to obtain a driver's license, which will still be needed for quite some time. Maybe not for my grandchildren, but for the next 20 years or so.

Details and pictures of the new hardware now online at electrek.

The rear facing cameras are built into the side indicators, the side cams are built into the B pillars.

How the external cams will stay clean is anyone's guess. Clearly not in Tesla's interest to have empty "Summoned" cars blocking roads with hazards on just because the weather is bad!

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
"Because of the complexity of the equipment, it won't be possible for owners of older cars to have their vehicles upgraded with all the new cameras and sensors. Full self-driving will only be available to owners of new Model S, Model X and, eventually, Model 3 cars.

"Upgrading cars is not realistic," Musk said. "It's like giving cars a spinal cord transplant."
Translation:
I just royally f'ed over every loyal tesla owner who purchased their vehicles prior to October 19th misleading them that their 150K car with every option available would be upgradeable.