Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Unverified] Defective Design- A Disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey whttiger25, guess you were the guy Elon referred to in his shareholder's meeting yesterday (going down cliff/slope)? Your car got totaled too so imagine you know what it's like to have a total loss like that...albeit totally different circumstance and his was a new car so probably more emotional for him. As I recall people didn't initially believe your account of what happened either.

Let me add that when a few questioned the account of what happened to me, I immediately continued the discussion by providing evidence, including pictures and more details.

SMA, this isn't about sympathy. It's just about the nature of the post. We have a new poster (only one total post) who hasn't followed up with any details or continued discussing the incident in this thread. Instead, he made a single somewhat inflamatory post and then disappeared.

I of course empathize with anyone who has had an accident, obviously. In my case however I stayed engaged with the community on my forum thread.

And...why tell us he he is in a rock band and made a video about this "to show the public the truth", and not link to the video?

Get what you are saying. He did only post a few hours ago. I'm not supportive of his tirade about Tesla and feel it's completely undeserved but assuming he was going 20mph as described and it happened and now he has his new car totaled, I can see being pissed about the situation. He can be angry at himself but if he was going 20mph he doesn't feel at fault, he can be mad at the people maintaining the roads, fat chance that will get your anywhere, and then of course there's Tesla. Sounds like he might have tried to get them to cover some repairs and they wouldn't so we get this thread.

I've only been on here for a few months but have already seen a number of angry threads from people, all with the same type of titles. Something went wrong and they come to vent. Looking for sympathy, sometimes? Looking to make Tesla look bad, yes that too. Some threads sound fantastical and immediately draw ire. Some listen to comments from others and realize maybe they did something unintended. Maybe he'll realize It's not Tesla's fault and could have happened in any other car that's not an armored vehicle, just an unlucky event. Many of those owners do stay on and post further despite the criticism from others. Guess we'll see in this case. He did post a photo of his damaged wheel area when about to be towed. May be the only photo he has but does speak to the car being damaged.

Don't think I'm gullible but maybe I am. Hey at first I thought Tesla has had another record stock day and maybe someone was on the wrong side of a trade. I do think what he said could have happened with the car though. There was someone who slid on ice into a curb and broke his wheel arm and probably had other damage and his car if I'm not mistaken was totaled. Seems like a small thing to do but with expensive consequences.

Last edited:
I removed the poll because it was pretty useless (you can guess how many Yes votes there were).

Please avoid questioning the integrity of the poster. It's okay to question the information as presented.

I'd suggest that the OP produce some photographic evidence to back up his claims.

Reactions: oktane
Some of you are so easily sucked in it's a bit scary... In any case... I sense another fake "Keef" account... Notice how the emphasis is on the suspension and the only picture is of a wheel that looks a bit off...

Nothing to see here... Move along.

Jeff

Tesla stock hit a new high this morning. Whenever that happens shorters flood to the forums to relate their 'problems' and 'horror stories'.

Don't even waste time responding to them.

Obvious troll is obvious.

The OP said he heard a clunk, all was fine, and he drove home. He went out of his way to say he put it in autopilot. Why? To explain how you could get home with out feeling that your control arm was wrecked.

Although he forgets we all have autopilot here, and we all know it doesn't get you home. It just gets you straight for a while. As soon as you take over to turn, park etc you would feel through the steering wheel the damage to the control arm.

Unless you're drunk/high there's no way you wouldn't feel the problems he described. We can debate the safety of the battery all day, but reality is his point about the steering control arm being broken by the impact shows this is BS. So if someone were drunk/high (just a theory) and drove over a significant obstacle on (or off) the road and wreck your car, who is really at fault? Might be a case of insurance fraud brewing for Marty if he's not careful.

p.s. Marty Frasu is 'in a rock band' and 'has a platform'? I think he meant to say he was in a pay to play indie group that bombed out 30 years ago and he's trying his own viral marketing campaign here. Problem is, he's failing. Badly. His real job? Plays synthesizer on soundtracks. Barely credited.

photo.jpg

Teslas dirty Secret is that the battery is completely unprotected. ANYTHING on the road, pothole or random garbage on the road will ruin the battery.
That sentence is such an extreme exaggeration and so removed from reality that it discredits the entire post. I cannot take the post at face value without corroborating evidence.

I love the part where they say they play in rock band. What does that have to do with anything about your story? Trying to make you sound more credible? Not sure if member of "rock band" would be the best there. Besides if you can't see something in the road when driving at 20mph and drove over it, how is that Tesla's problem.

Where is this video you claimed to make and info on this "grassroots" campaign? I'm sure we will all be waiting...

"brand new P90D" stuck to me. How is 8+ months "brand new" ????

Also the battery reinforced by a very very thick titanium sheet. At 20mph, you'd have to be running over armor piercing metal rods or something. Massive damage like this and yet no warning from the car's computer? right...

All the other points have been brought to attention by others here. This is nothing more than a troll looking to incite people. 20mph and somehow massive battery damage. Right.

The lack of grammar as well, nobody types $100k as "$100.000.00" Ever heard of commas? Nobody who has ever owned any P90D has called it a "P-90D" shows how little you know of Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The lack of grammar as well, nobody types $100k as "$100.000.00" Ever heard of commas.
To be fair, in many (most?) European countries except the UK, their usage of commas and periods are reversed from our usage in the US. (e.g. 1,00 would be our 1.00 and 1.000 would be our 1,000.)

But the OP didn't get it right for either. And, there's the Indian system pointed out at https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-c...-others-use-a-comma-to-separate-large-numbers, which I'd seen awhile ago on some Indian web sites that really confused me, until I read that.

The thread originally had a poll, but I see the poll is gone now.

For what it's worth, I don't think the OP is a troll per se. First off he might have bought one of the last inventory P90Ds, so it was brand new to him, but was built late last year.

I think what actually happened was he had a freak accident that somehow caused significant damage. Though I'm still at a loss how the car was drive-able. Maybe something was damaged by the accident, but then let go sitting in the garage. I strongly doubt the battery was initially damaged, the damage was probably the wheel and suspension and the battery was damaged when the damaged portion let go in the garage and as he said the passenger side of the car was almost on the floor. If the wheel well collapsed in just the right way I can see how maybe the front modules of the battery were damaged by the wheel well collapsing back over the top of the battery. The titanium armor protects the bottom of the battery, but I believe Tesla relies on the structure of the car to protect the top and front. If the structure of the car collapses the wrong way, it could damage the battery pack.

There have been many front end collisions with Model Ss and only a few have had damaged battery packs, so this is a rare event. Additionally it's pretty clear the damage to the battery was damage to the pack, not the cells themselves. If li-ion cells get crushed, they catch on fire. If the cells had been damaged in any significant way, his garage would have burned down.

So he had an unfortunate accident that caused enough damage to his car that the insurance company decided to total out the car rather than pay to repair it. That is a terrible story and I can be sympathetic to anyone who loses a new car, especially a nice one he appears to have really enjoyed. However, instead of telling his story and getting sympathetic responses, which he would have gotten from many of us, he decided to get angry instead and project his experience onto the entire Model S fleet claiming his misfortune was due to some kind of severe defect in the car's design.

If he had told his story and got others telling similar stories of woe, then maybe he could make a case that there is a design flaw. But his story is a one off. I've been here for 2 years and have done at least some reading related to most if not all odd Tesla accident over that time plus many accidents that happened before I started my journey. As far as I can tell nobody has had any kind of accident even remotely like this one. I'm not doubting that something happened to his car and he's angry about it. I wouldn't be happy if my car got totaled either. But IMO where he really jumps the shark is when he tries to make the case that every Model S out there is risking the same fate.

I prefer not to attribute nefarious motives when other, lesser motives fit the same evidence. Sometimes I'm wrong, but usually that plays out over time. If someone does have nefarious motives, they usually come out if you play neutral and listen to their story. If they don't that will usually become clear too.

Reactions: democappy
Status
Not open for further replies.