Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP MODEL 3 PIKES PEAK RACE CAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ID.R did it in 7:57.148, that was a one off purpose built race car. I wonder if they can get close to that, be really cool if they could break the record.
The ID.R has 671hp, massive downforce, and only weighs 2400lbs (with driver). There is zero chance of that. The Unplugged car is competing the in the Time Attack 1 class.
Unlimited

• The Unlimited Division features some of the most exotic vehicles in the world, many purpose-built for the PPIHC. These racecars hold the best chance of setting a new overall course record.
Record: 2018 Romain Dumas, 2018 Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak – 7:57.148

Time Attack 1

• The Time Attack 1 Division includes modified and specialized production-based two and four-wheel drive vehicles. Eligibility is restricted to close-bodied four-wheeled vehicles and must maintain their original OVM configuration as delivered pertaining to air/fuel delivery, number of cylinders, number of drive wheels and drive wheel location.
Record: 2020 David Donner, 2019 Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport – 9:36.559

Today the Model S Plaid radiator seems to be a better thing…Or run a Model S Plaid to the race?
Radiator technology is pretty mature, looks like they’re already using a high end cross flow radiator.
Plaid Model S looks like it should be faster than the Model 3 though. Sounds like they’ve fixed the heat soak issue and the power is insane. Torque vectoring should help too.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Radiator technology is pretty mature, looks like they’re already using a high end cross flow radiator.
Plaid Model S looks like it should be faster than the Model 3 though. Sounds like they’ve fixed the heat soak issue and the power is insane. Torque vectoring should help too.
Yes they are!!

B017AB9E-EC0A-4E3C-8561-7A8C1BB4FBBC.jpeg
50944371-BBBD-4DAD-B311-A69CCD8829B1.jpeg
377BF32E-29B2-4D27-A1E4-D3FA78051242.jpeg
4EE1FC0A-E59E-404D-9859-C4C2A1BA4539.jpeg
E0493964-D4D8-47C8-ADF7-E4A987C0183F.jpeg
94575F10-035E-452A-95F5-35E48A0D50C1.jpeg

I don't think that those cars all were running the same level drivers and all were on a hot lap.

But even theoretically - Plaid is comparable to GT2RS in power to weight ratio ~0.44hp/kg.
Senna - 0.58, Hennesy Venom - 1.17, F1 - 1.44.

Senna and GT2RS are both RWD, so they can't really exit that fast from the corner.

But if you turn - suspension and weight matter a lot.
MR package for GT2RS changes only aero and suspension and cuts 20 seconds at Nurburgring.
And those cars are built for the track.

As you know, Randy made 1:27.62 on street-legal Senna and 2.3 seconds slower on preproduction Plaid.
Is it going to be enough to add aero, suspension, and street-legal tires to beat those 2.3 seconds is yet to be seen.

I don't think that those cars all were running the same level drivers and all were on a hot lap.

But even theoretically - Plaid is comparable to GT2RS in power to weight ratio ~0.44hp/kg.
Senna - 0.58, Hennesy Venom - 1.17, F1 - 1.44.

Senna and GT2RS are both RWD, so they can't really exit that fast from the corner.

But if you turn - suspension and weight matter a lot.
MR package for GT2RS changes only aero and suspension and cuts 20 seconds at Nurburgring.
And those cars are built for the track.

As you know, Randy made 1:27.62 on street-legal Senna and 2.3 seconds slower on preproduction Plaid.
Is it going to be enough to add aero, suspension, and street-legal tires to beat those 2.3 seconds is yet to be seen.
This does not look like a hot lap at all from the on board camera. Either way a family sedan beating a P1….bonkers

Reactions: android04
This does not look like a hot lap at all from the on board camera. Either way a family sedan beating a P1….bonkers

I think it's more important how it feels. With brutal power per weight and extremely low CG you can do good lap times, but it can be still mediocre experience. Miata is stupidly slow, but a lot of fun.

Model S was faster than Model 3 already, but it was not fun to drive. I don't know how much they fixed that on Plaid. Model 3 suspension geometry is built to be fun, track mode, weight distribution, acceleration pedal reaction time.

Model S targets GT segment - rare highway fun and bragging rights. Even if it will be able to accidentally beat all ICE sport cars on track, it might still be not that fun to do it. And then it's not far from sofa and watching F1 on a TV - can't beat that in speed, comfort and value for money.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
This is getting crazy. Am I the only one flashing back to Group B and the Delta S4??

Yikes. Stay safe Randy.
There's a couple of Model 3's and one Plaid in the Pike's Peak event.

Info:

Times:

The Plaid isn't the fastest car, and it is a well-designed production model. The UP modifications don't seem too extreme. Some of the other cars are much more experimental and modified. They have still continued the motorbike ban on Pike's Peak for another year.