Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP MODEL 3 PIKES PEAK RACE CAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that’s actually oxygen. Randy said in an interview going up that high you need oxygen.
The driver has oxygen. The UP car has CO2 to help cool the battery.
20200829_142754.jpg

I think you're right, that would be an insane amount of oxygen for a ~15 minute span.
And of course you'd like to have the least amount of compressed oxygen possible in something you might crash!
I've climbed a few 14ers and no one would use oxygen to do it. I guess climbing 4,720ft that quickly without acclimatization and the intensity of that driving is a bit different. I wouldn't want to be lightheaded driving that road at 100+ mph.

Reactions: Sam1 and kbecks13
Yeah even climbing Fuji which isn’t bad at all still felt like the worst hangover of my life.

Check out 2 things; some style of tummo breathing, Wim Hof has a good one that's basic and popular. Then a book by James Nestor called "breath". Even with a genetic form of COPD, I have zero issues heading up 13k on a semi-regular basis thanks to those types of breathing exercises and practices.

And of course you'd like to have the least amount of compressed oxygen possible in something you might crash!
I've climbed a few 14ers and no one would use oxygen to do it. I guess climbing 4,720ft that quickly without acclimatization and the intensity of that driving is a bit different. I wouldn't want to be lightheaded driving that road at 100+ mph.

I wouldn't want to be going up that road at 100 mph with any o2 saturation level :D

Reactions: kbecks13
I assume that the display of the batt and brakes temps are part of Track Mode, but isn't that info that would be useful to anyone going up and down a mountain? Shouldn't those of us with just a rear motor have that display available?

I assume that the display of the batt and brakes temps are part of Track Mode, but isn't that info that would be useful to anyone going up and down a mountain? Shouldn't those of us with just a rear motor have that display available?
Waste heat goes up with the square of power. It seems unlikely that the RWD would ever hit thermal limits on the street.
RWD should have track mode to dial back the nannies!

Reactions: Dave EV
Waste heat goes up with the square of power. It seems unlikely that the RWD would ever hit thermal limits on the street.
RWD should have track mode to dial back the nannies!
I really wish Tesla would release track mode on all cars, even if it was an extra add-on and not as capable as the version in the Performance 3. Many people would pay for it, just like how a lot of AWD owners pay for the power boost.

I've summit-ed Uncompahgre (southwest of Pikes Peak). You may not need oxygen, but you can easily get altitude sickness if you don't acclimate. Most experienced hikers know this and you spend atleast an overnight at the base to acclimate before you go up esp if your body is not used to high altitudes. Much better to be safe and have oxygen than risk the possibility of even the faintest amount of dizziness or loss of focus.

I really wish Tesla would release track mode on all cars, even if it was an extra add-on and not as capable as the version in the Performance 3. Many people would pay for it, just like how a lot of AWD owners pay for the power boost.

With how close the performance is between the base cars with boost and the performance, I don't think they'll be adding any features like that because it would close the gap too much. Same reason they won't close the gap between M3 and MS.

The faintest amount of dizziness or loss of focus.
Nice turn of phrase. So is it like in non-pressurized aircraft where they say to check your nails to see if they are blueish? I have tried to take my Cessna 150 to 14,000' ASL which is where o2 is mandatory to see my nails turn, but I ended up just doing circles at 12-13,000 feet. Just didn't have the power to get it any higher.

Nice turn of phrase. So is it like in non-pressurized aircraft where they say to check your nails to see if they are blueish? I have tried to take my Cessna 150 to 14,000' ASL which is where o2 is mandatory to see my nails turn, but I ended up just doing circles at 12-13,000 feet. Just didn't have the power to get it any higher.

If you’re just sitting there flying an aircraft at 14k’ you’re most likely going to feel fine as you should be relaxed with no excursion. I’ve been on a fair few test flights at Boeing Field and Moses Lake (picking up new B737 for UK airline) and one of the tests was to stay unpressurised at 16k’ to check emergency o2 system deployment and also check galley flooring for delamination bubbles (trapped air still at ground pressure) and so up and down the cabin, on hands and knees checking floor, back up on feet again etc. We had oxygen in hatbin to use if needed, but never did, and always felt fine. Genetics also come into play, how you feel at that altitude.

Supposedly, the more fit you are, the worst altitude sickness hits you. Can confirm, because I approached Fuji w/ my usual stubborn "power through it" mentality, and paid the price. And I'm fukken ripped. Same seems to apply to professional shooting competitions. You have to be 300+ lbs to win. Basically a human tripod

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1
2A2106B2-5BF3-40CF-A68A-9A6DE8B52528.jpeg
So one thing I saw that caught my eye but never paid attention to is that they removed the fog lights and covered the air curtain. I assume to direct more air into the cooling system they we all are wondering about. Also if you look closely inside you’ll see some type of radiator.

Reactions: JT_M3P
View attachment 585672 So one thing I saw that caught my eye but never paid attention to is that they removed the fog lights and covered the air curtain. I assume to direct more air into the cooling system they we all are wondering about. Also if you look closely inside you’ll see some type of radiator.

lights were removed for PP, they were left in for the last track day. They appear to have removed the lights when they drilled the holes in the front bumper cover. guessing that exchanger is part of the upgraded cooling system they installed. There were also some photos of them having taped up the corners of the bumper cover a few weeks ago on the track, but I can't seem to find them. Not sure if they were taped up again for PP