Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP MODEL 3 PIKES PEAK RACE CAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 585672 So one thing I saw that caught my eye but never paid attention to is that they removed the fog lights and covered the air curtain. I assume to direct more air into the cooling system they we all are wondering about. Also if you look closely inside you’ll see some type of radiator.
Yes, they put 2 additional coolers inside, so that's an air intake for them. People doing the same on Evo platform and many others.

Since that is their own bumper, I think that they just didn't have time to redesign it properly.

Yes, they put 2 additional coolers inside, so that's an air intake for them. People doing the same on Evo platform and many others.

Since that is their own bumper, I think that they just didn't have time to redesign it properly.
This is a pretty good video on the entire POV of the team from Pikes Peak. In regards to the cooling you can hear / see it from their head technician on what it is at the 46:53 mark. UP did not swap out the battery as mentioned later on in the video so I think that’s what ultimately gave in to them not having power through the run.

Wow oh wow. UPP really going all in this year. Center seat and carbon front clip. Photos taken from FB
2D075787-2021-414C-BDB9-F16CD1FDAE6A.jpeg
FA8A6562-3986-4E03-9C88-4CF51F095A67.jpeg

Can you get so info about this added driver side display?
I’m not sure if they’ll disclose it but what I’m personally thinking is that there will be 2 displays (1 on each side of the driver) showing an exterior view/camera of the corner of the car. Since UPP announced they are now officially with Tesla in terms of servicing that’s the only thing I can think of. Pic of center seat semi below. They’re slowly leaking out pics and they’re not commenting on questions.
8118A8C0-C513-420A-868B-CAFD821B3133.jpeg

The size of the tires are quite impressing, I wonder how much offset those wheels have?

On the picture, at the bottom of the large radiator there is a small radiator.
Those small radiators in an ICE are used to cool the engine oil.
But what could be the use for an EV? May be to cool the rotor and bearing of the motor?

It looks like they moved the seat to the center of the car.
The rules do say no tube frame vehicles are allowed in Time Attack 1 division. This looks somewhat borderline to me but I have no idea.
The record in Time Attack 1 is 9:36.559 in a 2019 Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport and Pobst did 11:04 is a crippled Model 3 last year. Was there an estimate of what he would have gotten last year if the car was working?

with my experience in the drag world, I consider it no longer what it started off as when it has a tube chassis. A full tube chassis car with a fiberglass shell of a Corvette, is not a Corvette just because someone airbrushed that on the outside.
This car has a tubular front integrated into the mandatory roll cage. The “chassis” is not tubular. Everything from the A pillar and back is still a model 3. The front clip is the same shape as a 3. You’re thinking of when a fiberglass shell is placed on the car.

Abel Ibarra “RX8”.
4E08532D-5AED-441E-9981-827C4C0C50A0.jpeg

This car has a tubular front integrated into the mandatory roll cage. The “chassis” is not tubular. Everything from the A pillar and back is still a model 3. The front clip is the same shape as a 3. You’re thinking of when a fiberglass shell is placed on the car.
So, only a third of the frame is tubular? If I were on another team I would challenge it. :p
Doesn't mean it's not awesome. I wonder how much weight they've been able to drop?
Other stuff from Instagram. Carbon doors:
1623276341119.png

Centered driver seat:
1623276441943.png

So, only a third of the frame is tubular? If I were on another team I would challenge it. :p
Doesn't mean it's not awesome. I wonder how much weight they've been able to drop?
Other stuff from Instagram. Carbon doors:
View attachment 671400
Centered driver seat:
View attachment 671401
Kilowatts just dropped a behind the scene documentary on what happened. He shows a lot of unknowns of what was in the car and how it was put back together.

The size of the tires are quite impressing, I wonder how much offset those wheels have?

On the picture, at the bottom of the large radiator there is a small radiator.
Those small radiators in an ICE are used to cool the engine oil.
But what could be the use for an EV? May be to cool the rotor and bearing of the motor?
There is oil in each of the drive units, and both UP and MPP make coolers for them. The radiator in the picture is different than what UP sells on their website, but it might be a one-off that has even better cooling for a car that has been modified as much as this one.