Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP MODEL 3 PIKES PEAK RACE CAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a gut feeling the easiest thing to do was to buy another car and donor it over. You have a guide on how parts fits and what’s missing. I mean getting parts from Tesla let alone a service appointment is horrendous. Can you imagine going into your app and scheduling an appoint for this? Lmao.

It’s alive!
FD9EE6EC-8287-4C8A-B44C-8ACE7B377793.jpeg

I had a gut feeling the easiest thing to do was to buy another car and donor it over. You have a guide on how parts fits and what’s missing. I mean getting parts from Tesla let alone a service appointment is horrendous. Can you imagine going into your app and scheduling an appoint for this? Lmao.

But it isn't that easy without support from Tesla. They need to replace the rear drive unit, but it is cryptographically linked to the rest of the cars computer systems. So they either have to swap both drive units and all the electronics between cars, or they have to get Tesla to reprogram the car to accept the new rear drive unit.

The other option might be to transfer the inverter from the the drive unit with physical damage to the drive unit from the donor car...

But it isn't that easy without support from Tesla. They need to replace the rear drive unit, but it is cryptographically linked to the rest of the cars computer systems. So they either have to swap both drive units and all the electronics between cars, or they have to get Tesla to reprogram the car to accept the new rear drive unit.

The other option might be to transfer the inverter from the the drive unit with physical damage to the drive unit from the donor car...
So you’re saying the drive units are software linked to each car? I thought they were straight up swappable like batteries. Interesting. So how does electrified garage swap stuff around then?

That is nuts - hopefully they will prevail. *sugar* happens, just glad nobody got hurt.

So is it the battery and DU that are linked? or DU and car MCU? Sorry for the noob questions.
Would be great to get a concrete answer to this - I'd love to attempt a DIY battery swap someday. As I've said before, if Tesla turns these cars into a DIY nightmare for owners, it'll be my last one.

That is nuts - hopefully they will prevail. *sugar* happens, just glad nobody got hurt.

Would be great to get a concrete answer to this - I'd love to attempt a DIY battery swap someday. As I've said before, if Tesla turns these cars into a DIY nightmare for owners, it'll be my last one.
@Knightshade might be right. It looks like UP got some real big friends / pulled some major strings and Tesla is helping getting the car back In the game. Not sure how they did it but they have Tesla technicians working on the car based on this post by klwtts
https://instagram.com/stories/klwtts/2385852681657638006?igshid=hwjtuv65flwl
Watch this story by The Kilowatts ⚡️ on Instagram before it disappears.

Also on twitter Tesla responded:
D5CF7CEA-2663-48F5-9B09-D5BDCF272BE9.jpeg

Reactions: kbecks13
@Knightshade might be right. It looks like UP got some real big friends / pulled some major strings and Tesla is helping getting the car back In the game. Not sure how they did it but they have Tesla technicians working on the car based on this post by klwtts
Watch this story by The Kilowatts ⚡️ on Instagram before it disappears.

Also on twitter Tesla responded:View attachment 581781
I was going to link to the Kilowatts insta story. Been following there and they had Tesla engineers "running software updates, making sure everything is running ok" after the DU swap. Seems like there's some shadow support from Tesla which is pretty cool

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Blake Fuller, 11:02, beat Pobst by 1.3 seconds and his own fastest production car based EV record (11:48 in Model S). Also drove the car home afterward. Congrats!
Interesting that Randy dominated the first section and then fell way behind. I wonder if there were some issues with the car? Maybe overheating?
Fastest time ever, EV or otherwise, is 7:57 (Volkwagen I.D. R EV)
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.47.44 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako