Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP of Michigan to receive its first fast DC charger but..

specialgreen

Jan 21, 2020
Minneapolis MN
They would need more grant money to fund additional changers.
I can't tell if you're talking about additional chargers in Norway, or across the U.P. Either way, the EGLE grants are still open... plenty of money left.

Current charger is not located where bathrooms or food service is. One has to walk 1-1.5 blocks to gas station for this. McDonalds is like 4 blocks away on US2. The location is not well lighted for night time use.

For us, US-2 would be preferred (McDonalds, DQ, Subway & BP). But the charger was 1/3 bought by the Downtown Development Fund to draw people away from US-2.

I think the best bet for bathroom + food nearby is Blackstone Pizza/brewpub (1.7 blocks north). It's open just as late as BP/Krist gas stations (10pm), with a cleaner bathroom. If you just want snacks, Pat's Foods (1 block south) is cheaper than BP and open 'til 9. But if you really want that McD-L-T (with the hot side hot and the cool side cool), you'll have to walk the extra 6 blocks!

Last edited:
Reactions: sdoorex

specialgreen

Jan 21, 2020
Minneapolis MN
Yes, but with a single charger, you kind of need a backup plan, in case it happens to be in use (or broken). Too bad there's no co-located J1772. Still, a step in the right direction!

Yeah, that's my concern. I think the best bet is to get a room in Florence WI, 22 miles NW on US-2. They have a J1772. Or 46 miles to Quality Inn Escanaba.

Last edited:

sdoorex

Feb 25, 2015
Front Range, CO
First charge check-in on PlugShare by Kimmo Lampela!

672757.jpg

StanMI

Jun 21, 2019
Michigan
Sad...... traveling th e U.P. of even the East side of the lower peninsula takes planning. Alpena or Oscoda could use a charger of some kind.... ( added Bad Axe or Port Austin)

Reactions: mrau

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC