Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP sway bar install - end link snapped following torque spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday everything was going good until I followed the recommended UP sway bar end link nut torque spec of 93 lb-ft, which caused the rear end link to snap. That torque value did seem high to me in the first place, should have acted on my instincts.

The install guide is here: model 3 sway bar installation guide - Unplugged Performance
Curious thing is that looking around, the UP coilover guide shows 73 ft-lb, which is more reasonable, but possible still high. Is there any consensus on what it should actually be?

This morning I went to the Tesla service center to order replacement parts (will order two since the right side is possibly compromised). No confirmed delivery date, but the frustrating part is that they cannot divulge the actual torque specs.
I also sent a message to Unplugged Performance, hopefully they can update their instructions to prevent failures on other installs.

Attachments

• Too_much_torque.jpeg
    Too_much_torque.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 230
No confirmed delivery date, but the frustrating part is that they cannot divulge the actual torque specs.

So the front should be about 73, but the rear should be about 41 ft-lbs.

This morning I went to the Tesla service center to order replacement parts (will order two since the right side is possibly compromised

How much did everything cost?

Thanks @kbecks13 for the values, those sound realistic. I cannot remember the verbal quote for the replacement links, between $40 to $60 each (I'll post it once I get them). Price was not a problem, worry is.. when will they arrive?
I did use both of my torque wrenches from CDI, which is a brand by made by Snap-On without the Snap-on on-site calibration premium. Super nice, they come with a traceable certificate of calibration, and one of them was just two weeks old. So it was not a calibration problem, just an immense amount of torque for such a narrow bolt. 93 lb-ft is higher than my S2000 wheel nuts setting!

Just to document the experience - the Tesla replacement end links were $42 each. It took 10 days to get them, including two holidays (Christmas and New Year's). So not horrible, but it could be better (I can normally get Honda parts within 2 days from the dealer).

I ended-up going with 60 lb-ft for the fronts and 40 lb-ft for the rears. I was cautious with the fronts, did a 'wrench feel' before and after installing the sway bar, and 60 lb-ft appeared to be quite reasonable. There was a mention that 72 lb-ft is the magic number for the fronts, but unless I see some official documentation I'll stay put. It's easy to tighten them more.

On the disappointing side, Unplugged Performance never got back to me. Not going to bother with them anymore, will do the rest of my performance parts shopping with MPP which has excellent customer service.

Just to document the experience - the Tesla replacement end links were $42 each. It took 10 days to get them, including two holidays (Christmas and New Year's). So not horrible, but it could be better (I can normally get Honda parts within 2 days from the dealer).

I ended-up going with 60 lb-ft for the fronts and 40 lb-ft for the rears. I was cautious with the fronts, did a 'wrench feel' before and after installing the sway bar, and 60 lb-ft appeared to be quite reasonable. There was a mention that 72 lb-ft is the magic number for the fronts, but unless I see some official documentation I'll stay put. It's easy to tighten them more.

On the disappointing side, Unplugged Performance never got back to me. Not going to bother with them anymore, will do the rest of my performance parts shopping with MPP which has excellent customer service.
Sorry you had this experience. I’ve also had frustrating issues with UP. Be careful and check the front sways. I had the fronts set at soft and the rears at medium. Using the soft setting in the front caused them to bump into the control arms so I had to move them to the medium setting. I also emailed UP about this issue and they never responded. Here is a photo of the damage:
072553F2-D79D-4FC2-B7BC-2F0764274D22.jpeg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dolemite and bcpm3p
Sorry you had this experience. I’ve also had frustrating issues with UP. Be careful and check the front sways. I had the fronts set at soft and the rears at medium. Using the soft setting in the front caused them to bump into the control arms so I had to move them to the medium setting. I also emailed UP about this issue and they never responded. Here is a photo of the damage:View attachment 510357

I had the same issue with my front UP with Whiteline endlinks.

• Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p
I apologize. I should have clarified that I meant I've had poorly fitting parts from UP and lack of email response (or extremely delayed responses) from UP.

MPP has been fantastic! Email responses within the hour even on a Sunday!
Great! I'd like to say that we won't always respond in 1 hour on a Sunday, just to set realistic expectations :D