Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I have read through and couldn't find an answer or anyone’s experience on this:

For the people who purchased coilover from MPP or UP, how did you choose?

I am debating between the two and can not decide at all. I haven’t been able to find many people’s reviews on these two products or people’s experiences.

I called both companies and they were both very professional and did not say any bad thing bad about the other.

Here are my thoughts:

MPP comfort coilovers sound great to me. They are what I am looking for. I don’t plan to take my car to the track, just need it lowered 1.5 inches and have a super smooth ride. My reservation with them is: they are a new company. They only started in 2017 from what I see on their website. Not so confident about their strength as a company because they’re so new and have much less cash for R&D.

UP - their product looks good also. Just the salesperson was not that great at selling them. I am just considering them because UP is a way larger company than MPP and probably have more resources and more money for R&D.

Would love if you guys can chime in and give me your opinion and experience. Thanks again for taking the time to read my post.

They're both pretty pricey. I was leaning towards MPP because I know KW coilovers are great. Not sure who UP got to make theirs. I think UP still shows on their site as pre order and not actually avail for purchase. Maybe thats why no one really has it. I'd like to just use lowering springs but a matched set of coilovers usually performs better than lowering the car on factory struts. I still haven't decided yet though. The price of the car out the door is still hurting the wallet atm. Maybe sometime in 2020 lol.

I have had 2 cars that I put aftermarket coilovers on, one car I put on Tein's, can't remember which model but they rode very rough, I then purchased some lighter and longer Swift springs to put on the coilovers and it helped but still a rough ride

Next car I bought ST coilovers (made by KW) and they are WAY more comfortable!

Absolutely if you want to lower with comfort then go with the MPP comfort coilover option for sure, will be night and day ride and handling compared to lowering springs as the shocks will be designed and valved for the springs and ride height

I was briefly in the same boat deciding between UP and MPP coilovers as both use components from very reputable suspension companies (Ohlins/Hyperco and KW Suspension respectively), but easily went to MPP because they have shown and documented their R&D process (on YouTube) and have track tested their coilovers which they have also shown on YouTube.

The reviews of the UP springs also pushed me away from considering their coilovers. Some reviews state that the UP springs lowered their M3 too much and required replacement springs to be sent over and replaced.

The UP coilovers are also compromised in that they are described to be adjustable for street comfort and dedicated track use. While MPP offers both a street comfort coilover and a performance track oriented coilover.

UP does have a lot of money since they are part of Bulletproof Automotive which has been around for a long time slinging aftermarket car parts, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have the background to produce suspension components.

Look into MPP's background and you will find their extensive racing background.

Last edited:
I was briefly in the same boat deciding between UP and MPP coilovers as both use components from very reputable suspension companies (Ohlins/Hyperco and KW Suspension respectively), but easily went to MPP because they have shown and documented their R&D process (on YouTube) and have track tested their coilovers which they have also shown on YouTube.

The reviews of the UP springs also pushed me away from considering their coilovers. Some reviews state that the UP springs lowered their M3 too much and required replacement springs to be sent over and replaced.

The UP coilovers are also compromised in that they are described to be adjustable for street comfort and dedicated track use. While MPP offers both a street comfort coilover and a performance track oriented coilover.

UP does have a lot of money since they are part of Bulletproof Automotive which has been around for a long time slinging aftermarket car parts, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have the background to produce suspension components.

Look into MPP's background and you will find their extensive racing background.

My big concern with UP was also that they had issues with their duel rate springs and the 1.5” was actually lowering 2” in the back. I was baffled at how they could let that pass without instantly realizing it.

I've been debating is question myself which is hard to ultimately answer without reviews. I'm leaning toward MPP.
MPP has been much better at getting themselves out there. KW is definitely a quality company, I'm guessing their product corresponds to the V3 coilovers. Most of all I like that they offer spring rates for your intended purpose.

The only thing UP has going for me is that they use Ohlins which IMHO builds a better product to KW at the same price point. In the BMW/Porsche world a lot of people have been migrating over from KW to Ohlins because of their DFV technology that yields a compliant ride despite stiff springs. Not sure if the UP coilovers include DFV or not.

Having said all this turning matters more than who manufactures the coilovers and MPP seems to have done their homework more so than UP. Or at least is getting out there for us to see.

Here are the MPP Sport Coilovers. I chose them because KW is the best manufacturer of coilovers. They can be set to feel just like factory.

The only note I have is that the front Isolator needs to be removed per MPP as it doesn't fit the MPP strut assembly.

Shoutout to WinnAutosports in Santa Ana, CA for this build and more future builds.

Attachments

• Final Fitment.jpg
    Final Fitment.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 1,531
  • Front Close-up.jpg
    Front Close-up.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 1,374
  • Front Fitment.jpg
    Front Fitment.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 1,402
  • Rear Fitment.jpg
    Rear Fitment.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Rear Height.jpg
    Rear Height.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 1,358
Here are the MPP Sport Coilovers. I chose them because KW is the best manufacturer of coilovers. They can be set to feel just like factory.

The only note I have is that the front Isolator needs to be removed per MPP as it doesn't fit the MPP strut assembly.

Shoutout to WinnAutosports in Santa Ana, CA for this build and more future builds.

Wow you set those pretty low. I'd be afraid of scrapping at that height. How does it ride? Does it ever bottom out at that level? How is it loaded with passengers? I have the comfort coilovers delivered but still waiting on the arms to arrive so they aren't installed yet.

Reactions: Tethlaaaa

How much did you lower it?

Reactions: Tethlaaaa
Wow you set those pretty low. I'd be afraid of scrapping at that height. How does it ride? Does it ever bottom out at that level? How is it loaded with passengers? I have the comfort coilovers delivered but still waiting on the arms to arrive so they aren't installed yet.

They haven't settled and the adjustment is not final, BUT the ride is amazing just like OEM. I am set 10 clicks on rebound and 8 clicks on dampening. More info in a few weeks once the build is done.

I have had 2 cars that I put aftermarket coilovers on, one car I put on Tein's, can't remember which model but they rode very rough, I then purchased some lighter and longer Swift springs to put on the coilovers and it helped but still a rough ride

Depending on which Tein's they can be pretty rough. The comfort sport setup by Tein is pretty civilized for street use. I doubt we'd ever see them make a set for the Model 3 though. I was debating between the CS and KW V2s for my IS300 though. With the incoming Model 3 to my garage though, I might just get some Flex Zs or Street Advances just because I won't be dailying the IS300 anymore.

The only thing UP has going for me is that they use Ohlins which IMHO builds a better product to KW at the same price point. In the BMW/Porsche world a lot of people have been migrating over from KW to Ohlins because of their DFV technology that yields a compliant ride despite stiff springs. Not sure if the UP coilovers include DFV or not.

Having said all this turning matters more than who manufactures the coilovers and MPP seems to have done their homework more so than UP. Or at least is getting out there for us to see.

If it is indeed Ohlins, I'd probably go for the UP as long as they're the DFV setup. I was planning on getting Ohlins for my RX7 and was going to get stasis/ohlin coilovers for the RS4 I used to have. However either one would be a solid setup either way.

I think its funny it says it rivals the M3 because alot of people on the forum say "M3" when they mean Model 3. So in essence its rivaling itself... Sorry bad joke.

• Funny
Reactions: mcbarnet007
The UP coilovers use Ohlins internal components and Hyperco springs (good stuff for sure) but they are a monotube design which are considered by some as better for track but rougher for every day use
model-3-coilover-kit

The MPP coilovers developed with KW based on the variant 3 use a twin tube design which tends to be a more comfortable ride while still being one of the more respected designs on the market https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/coilovers/variant3/

TEIN.co.jp/e: Mono-Tube vs Twin-Tube - SPECIAL
Circle Track Twin Tube vs Monotube Shocks | Racing Shock Design | QA1 Suspension
Monotube Vs Twin-Tube - What is the Difference? What is Better? - ISC Suspension

I would place a greater emphasis on ride quality unless it was a dedicated track car, thats just me.

Owner! Finally!

Last edited:
I chose them because KW is the best manufacturer of coilovers

Ehh that's definitely debatable. I personally think Ohlins has a better reputation compared to KW and many in other communities agree (BMW/Porsche).

I'm going with Unplugged because they have an extensive network in the industry and are not afraid to spend time/money on R&D to get a great product. They are currently working with one of the best aerodynamics consultants in the industry on developing new aero parts for the Model 3, for instance.

In the end i think you will get a great product from either company and time will tell if one is substantially better than the other. I'll report back in a few weeks when i get mine installed :)

Here's a shot of some laser scanning for CFD that Unplugged is working on as an example of commitment to doing things right:
46510595_10156988741358324_2241344853969469440_o.jpg

UP doesn't state which components of the coilover come from Ohlins. It could be a totally irrelevent part.

Sure, but i really doubt they would cheap out. What would the benefit be in doing that? Make slightly more money for the first few sales and then get a bad name? That is the opposite of what Unplugged/Bulletproof stands for. They typically deliver very high quality components and i expect no less from the coilovers.

Now i'm obviously biased because I decided to purchase their product, but i did so for a reason :)

Sasha definitely knows his stuff, but Ben from Unplugged has been in the game for literally decades and isn't too shabby either. Like i said before, i really don't think you'd go wrong with either one!

Reactions: mcbarnet007
Would be great for both UP and MPP to post more technical information like spring rate, compression, rebound etc about their products. Great to see 8x10 glossy of the coilovers, but it does not tell me much about how it would handle. MPP has one graph, UP none.