Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my custom Unplugged coilovers (2-way adjustable monotube's w/ external reservoir) installed this week and after driving ~100 miles I am super impressed. I originally purchased one of the early 2017 RWD cars with the very stiff/sporty suspension and after upgrading to my current P3D+ i was sad that i lost the fantastic handling.

I can gladly report that my P3D+ now handles just as tight and feels amazing with the new coilovers installed as my old RWD car used to feel (but its a heckuva lot quicker ;)). I was afraid that going stiff would mean a harsh ride, yet this is absolutely not the case and the car is still great for highway travel without being uncomfortable.

I took a horribly maintained side street at 15 mph and the ride is certainly more firm and bumpy at those low speeds and on such bad road conditions, but hitting a bump at 75 MPH on the highway feels almost the same for the initial impulse, but with more dampening and fewer oscillations in the body after the bump.

Currently sitting about 1" lower than stock and am planning to get the car aligned/corner balanced in the next week or so before Tesla Corsa. If anyone on here makes it up to Tesla Corsa, i'm planning to give some test drives to people who want to check it out for themselves.

Photo's coming soon :)

Last edited:
Sweet! I'd like to take you up on a drive at or before Tesla Corsa to see how it feels. We will be in the sponsored motel 6 the day before, not sure if you're coming up Saturday or Sunday.

I'll be at the Super 8/Buttonwillow Inn which is right next to the supercharger, but i'm probably going to get in late-ish at night (9-10PM).

Anyone going to TC with the MPP sport coilovers? Perhaps we can all have a coilover drive test/feel battle.

That would be cool to switch between cars to feel the difference, but i bet both brands will be fairly equivalent in feeling. Both companies chose to develop high quality coilovers instead of something that cost like $1200 and it's great that we have these options!

@SD_Engnr are you getting the MPP coilovers before Tesla Corsa?

Sadly, I won't get them in time. I'd love to check yours out though.

Darn - I definitely want to let people at least drive around the paddock with these coilovers as the difference is pretty apparent even at low speeds. They're not the regular Unplugged coilover as i wanted something a bit more race oriented and these are still just a prototype version, but it should still be pretty similar to the regular product they sell.

5tnhkfYeDlea0mEaLyRppae-fLbe_OpUd5CCtVF_dMQ2-xsHVCPI5ViQqh_fsTa-RPEVbIZCznILT_V43rsKUe4lssdhV7alGBQTMIU_oB7j6NY7j7i2LhzNROSpAUQV41Oa_3BomYhC_FI1-zpmDrB3rC8_RlNYfRI_WTPAt7yigZXSylK5l4_18tWLk-MlCxjSrS-xgeAUhewv_oJ9wOJAHTYrVpWHxGYs1jKA7-Si2vknmpmYGoIfWnlIbv-KA8e5cYYcuCTAWyDqBC43zkZLWpCizUTKeKO8A-ueeOSC47HN4Z8zIpMPtOGVQA11Osn5ayB5EshTmzhjqLHVhemZ2FMAGF640eydCTltp-PqElF7Zxy-Uy1UIp-VcL62jUlg1cGk8uqQEgHqBVDOI-LY-6qyHGDqmvvFDF4PjmWdPZ5JPBgAUmu_aFf0bF0BMCzoIVg6JDTz5r74JfDM5Fihjje13POy2NbEw5KmqwXucT9yySq8BAWN7LT5MpdOWEkQYnfmrvuimfefni8A3XS0gAJz0PWPGPij3AXi6Tw4zHveDVzy9g4s4HeF3qUSGGvAOr2tBVKodV68pY-rloIPdg3v5z1euPXua78q7DxYaNB4vZ55KJCwapa36v0BJryMMPqAFoLqkyb4vfdLWVzc=w1411-h1058-no

Just got my custom Unplugged coilovers (2-way adjustable monotube's w/ external reservoir) installed this week and after driving ~100 miles I am super impressed. I originally purchased one of the early 2017 RWD cars with the very stiff/sporty suspension and after upgrading to my current P3D+ i was sad that i lost the fantastic handling.
What is custom about the set that you got? Please elaborate. I'm interested in seeing the external reservoir setup.

What is custom about the set that you got? Please elaborate. I'm interested in seeing the external reservoir setup.

They are set-up to be stiffer than the regular sport coilovers and also are 2-way adjustable meaning you can adjust rebound and compression. The external reservoir is also unique and gives them additional stroke since you can move some of the valving outside of the main shock body, leaving more room for your piston to travel.

This is the first set they've made like this and it's still a prototype, but i wanted to share since i'm having great results so far.

IMG_20190111_110157.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190111_110211.jpg
    IMG_20190111_110211.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 312
They are set-up to be stiffer than the regular sport coilovers and also are 2-way adjustable meaning you can adjust rebound and compression. The external reservoir is also unique and gives them additional stroke since you can move some of the valving outside of the main shock body, leaving more room for your piston to travel.

This is the first set they've made like this and it's still a prototype, but i wanted to share since i'm having great results so far.

View attachment 368603
I'm curious if the dampers had to be re valved when increasing the spring rate?, can you share how much percentage wise of an increase was made for the spring rates you chose over what was originally planned?

I'm curious if the dampers had to be re valved when increasing the spring rate?, can you share how much percentage wise of an increase was made for the spring rates you chose over what was originally planned?

Yes they definitely re-valved the dampers to match the spring rates for this. I didn't really specify an exact percentage as I wanted to leave that up to their engineers, rather i specified my intended usage and the size/type of tires i will be running (wider/grippier tires can handle stiffer suspension). It's not a ton stiffer, probably 5-10% more than the regular spring rates they'd use (just a guess).

This took about a month or two from me initially asking "is this possible?" to them working with their engineers and getting everything spec'd out and designed, and again this is still a prototype product.

Last edited:
Alright guys, I thought I posted an update on my build. Here they are and might I say damn comfortable for a sport coilover system. They are not set all the way low as the car sits on the ground and the settings are 10 on stiffness and 8 on rebound all around. Definitely an upgrade from OEM. The control arms were extremely easy to install as they are plug n' play and seem to be set to account for a lowered car.

All pictures except the one taken from afar are labeled.

Installed by Winn Autosports in Santa Ana, CA. Parts supplied by Mountain Pass Performance.

........AND THE BUILD continues

Attachments

• Coilover Install Rear Left.jpg
    Coilover Install Rear Left.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 321
  • Coilover Install Rear Right.jpg
    Coilover Install Rear Right.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 320
  • Control Arm Install.jpg
    Control Arm Install.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Front Close-up.jpg
    Front Close-up.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Front Fitment.jpg
    Front Fitment.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Rear Fitment.jpg
    Rear Fitment.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Settled Suspension Front Left.jpg
    Settled Suspension Front Left.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Settled Suspension Front Right.jpg
    Settled Suspension Front Right.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 317
  • Settled Suspension Rear Left.jpg
    Settled Suspension Rear Left.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 313
This is the first set they've made like this and it's still a prototype...

View attachment 368603

So at this point, anyone running MPP or UP coilovers (or lowering springs for that matter) on a P3D are running prototypes on the since they're both still in preorder status, correct?

I preordered mine from UP in October and got an e-mail about 3 weeks ago that they were shipping soon, but pinged them last Friday and they are still MIA.

So at this point, anyone running MPP or UP coilovers (or lowering springs for that matter) on a P3D are running prototypes on the since they're both still in preorder status, correct?

I preordered mine from UP in October and got an e-mail about 3 weeks ago that they were shipping soon, but pinged them last Friday and they are still MIA.

I think UP is very, very close to having them ready for P3D (saw a few other kits when getting mine). I know Ben has also been in Japan for the Tokyo Auto Salon show recently, so give them another ping as they may have missed it.