Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's common on modern vehicles from the factory. Sometimes you'll find a car that is resting on the "bump stops", stock. Your typical OEM bump stop is fairly long and highly progressive, so the first inch or so of engagement doesn't do that much, but the rate of the stop goes up quickly from there. You should think of your typical OEM bump stop as less of a "let's stick a bit of rubber in there to keep things from bottoming out too hard" but instead of a secondary spring that adds to the spring rate progressively.

More reading on bump stops here:
The Bump Stops Here - Tech Talk - Modified Magazine

It would be interesting to see what MPP and UP does with the bump stops on their coilovers, but your typical coilover will typically use a bump stop that is more of a bump stop and less of a secondary spring.

Yup that's right, the OEM bump stops are an integral part of the OEM suspension and not just a backup.

That being said, real suspension travel with proper spring rate and good dampers is a better solution for sporty driving. When leaned over in a corner the OEM bump stops are going to be into the hard rubber zone of their range.

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Thanks for posting pictures and a review.

Here are the MPP Sport Coilovers. I chose them because KW is the best manufacturer of coilovers. They can be set to feel just like factory.

The only note I have is that the front Isolator needs to be removed per MPP as it doesn't fit the MPP strut assembly.

Shoutout to WinnAutosports in Santa Ana, CA for this build and more future builds.

@MountainPass @Odiemac Are the MPP coilovers 1-way or 2-way adjustable? The website says they are adjustable in compression and rebound but i'm not positive if that's 1 adjustment that does both or if it's two independent ones.
From their website, it appears to be separate adjustments:

"Track Damper settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)
Front Compression: 9
Front Rebound: 8
Rear Compression: 6
Rear Rebound: 7

Street Damper Settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)
Front Compression: 14
Front Rebound: 13
Rear Compression: 14
Rear Rebound: 13

There are 2 versions, sports version allow rebound and compression adjustment and comfort which only allow compression.

True, but i think they used the sport ones based on IG
Mountain Pass Performance on Instagram: “MPP AWD Tesla Model 3 Sports Coilover sneak peak. These prototypes will be getting tested at Global Time Attack Super Lap next week! More…”

One company just sells parts, the other is an actual enthusiast with a decade of track expierience, and owns the car.

I think you could say the same thing about both companies.

Really? Who at UPP hooked up potentiometers to their car, logged it with a motec, and did extensive real world and track testing on their product?

If they did great, but I haven’t read about that, so my money is on MPP and Sasha.

Really? Who at UPP hooked up potentiometers to their car, logged it with a motec, and did extensive real world and track testing on their product?

If they did great, but I haven’t read about that, so my money is on MPP and Sasha.

Agreed Sasha is amazing. He has a level of commitment to the car and its development that's simply can't be beat. And I also think he has elite-level technical Talent. And he's a nice guy too. That's a tough combination to compete with

Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Engnr
One company builds racey looking cars that go to SEMA while the other builds racecars that go to racetracks.

See this is the major problem/myth that i am trying to dispel. It's simply not true. Unplugged originates from Bulletproof Automotive who has design/built numerous real race cars in addition to SEMA show cars.

Bulletproof and Unplugged definitely cater to a higher-end client list, but that absolutely doesn't mean that they don't have track heritage or know what they are doing. Sasha and MPP have just been very good about documenting their development process with the YouTube videos, for all we know UP has done the exact same thing (and i bet they have).

Here's one of many cars that Bulletproof have run in Global Time Attack:
Photo_Nov_08_9_17_17_AM_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I think the difference between the two coilovers are going to be so small at the end of the day that you will not notice any difference if you did a blind test. Except for the fact that one is two-way adjustable and the other is one-way adjustable (adjusting compression and rebound the same time). Two way adjustable is probably not going to be very useful for most people since it's tailored for someone really interested in dialing in their car for a particular track for a particular day. And if adjusted improperly can easily screw up the balance of the car. Obviously in capable hands, two way adjustment allows you to fine tune how you want the suspension to react so it's appreciated in motorsports.

Another thing I realized as I gain more seat time at the track is that there is still a lot of room left in the stock suspension setup that I have yet to utilized and explore. First time at Buttonwillow track I thought the suspension was too soft and that's why I couldn't go faster than 2:15 (also no track mode). However, the next time I was there with exact same setup I was able to go 2:11 in the morning and 2:06.9 in the afternoon. I think the stock suspension is very capable, so instead of debating which coilover is better, just go out and have some fun. Once you've reached the limit of stock suspension on the track, you'll probably have a better understanding of what you actually want. If all you want is a nice ride for daily, height adjustment, and ability to firm up for occasional track day, either coilovers will make you more than happy.

Randy Pobst didn't express concern that the stock suspension was holding him back when he beat the Gulia Quadrifoglio's time at Willow Springs Streets. And I've read that Gulia Quadrifoglio is one of the best driver's car with amazing suspension and balance from all the reviews.

last but not least, if you're in California, sign up for Tesla Corsa and come out and have some fun. You'll discover what you actually want from your car and just how capable the stock setup is.

I think the difference between the two coilovers are going to be so small at the end of the day that you will not notice any difference if you did a blind test
Although they are based off of different designs, the UP being a mono tube design and the MPP of the twin tube variety, there are pros and cons to each design, I would base my choice on the comfort level achieved from a daily driving perspective and it seems that in that case the twin tube design is a more forgiving ride.

Although they are based off of different designs, the UP being a mono tube design and the MPP of the twin tube variety, there are pros and cons to each design, I would base my choice on the comfort level achieved from a daily driving perspective and it seems that in that case the twin tube design is a more forgiving ride.

Yep monotube vs twintube is the main differentiating factor. Twin tube can be softer because of the lighter gas charge, but that doesn't mean they will always ride softer as it also depends on the tuning. Monotube is nice because you have a larger diameter piston and more adjustability, so you can actually have something that is softer for daily driving - just depends on how its valved.

Monotube also has a host of other advantages like less fade/aeration in the oil which are great for track use.

Personally i want something more track oriented and think that the monotube is going to give me what i want, i should hopefully have my set-up installed in the next 2 weeks (fingers crossed) and will report some findings. Need to find a way to measure vibration for a comparison...

Yep monotube vs twintube is the main differentiating factor. Twin tube can be softer because of the lighter gas charge, but that doesn't mean they will always ride softer as it also depends on the tuning. Monotube is nice because you have a larger diameter piston and more adjustability, so you can actually have something that is softer for daily driving - just depends on how its valved.

Monotube also has a host of other advantages like less fade/aeration in the oil which are great for track use.

Personally i want something more track oriented and think that the monotube is going to give me what i want, i should hopefully have my set-up installed in the next 2 weeks (fingers crossed) and will report some findings. Need to find a way to measure vibration for a comparison...
looking forward to your review