Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that Jesse at MPP has some of the best customer service I've ever dealt with and has gone out of his way to help myself and other customers, often responding to emails within minutes even at odd hours of the day. Competition is great for the consumer and for raising EV awareness in the motorsport arena. We should be grateful there are multiple options to choose from and more are coming every day.

I chose MPP because they focus strictly on performance parts, while many other Tesla aftermarket businesses offer too many silly cosmetic-only modifications and unproven aero bits etc., which I personally find disappointing and cheapen the brand (a result of the tech enthusiast crowd that Tesla's attract I presume). I also like to support smaller businesses who I believe are doing great work.

It doesn't hurt that Sasha (MPP's founder) is a talented race car driver, tuner, and multi-time Canadian touring car champion with years of actual motorsport experience under his belt, in addition to being a genius (watch his Lotus Evora conversion with the Speed Academy guys on youtube).

Overall, I think it's an exciting time to be both a car and/or EV enthusiast and there's a lot of good stuff to come.

Wonderful. I got my first disagree vote for asking a legit question to a perplexing proposition. The vote is none the less from @Lucy903 Hey. I just want to know how it works? Perhaps I will get another disagree vote on this post. :):D:)

I think Lucy903 accidentally hit the thumbs down when he/she wanted to press the happy face rating to the right.

Reactions: Lucy903
Wonderful. I got my first disagree vote for asking a legit question to a perplexing proposition. The vote is none the less from @Lucy903 Hey. I just want to know how it works? Perhaps I will get another disagree vote on this post. :):D:)

I remember my first "disagree" vote... It hurts at first, but then you get over it. ;)

I’m currently having some creaking noises with the springs on my front UP coilovers. WD40 helped for about 12 hours. Gonna try some marine grease.
Seems like common coilover problems, but some help would sure be nice :). Are you all using anti-seize or any lubrication with your coilover installs. Has anyone looked into radial bearings? Thanks! Here’s where I think the problem area is:
60946B79-83EA-40BD-AEAA-FD6ED594AB8C.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m currently having some creaking noises with the springs on my front UP coilovers. WD40 helped for about 12 hours. Gonna try some marine grease.
Seems like common coilover problems, but some help would sure be nice :). Are you all using anti-seize or any lubrication with your coilover installs. Has anyone looked into radial bearings? Thanks! Here’s where I think the problem area is:
View attachment 470078
Try some lithium grease on the spring contact points. Also it doesn't hurt to contact UP. They have some good service folks.

• Informative
Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
View attachment 470078
I had the same on my UP Coilovers and increasing the spring load by 5mm in the front resolved the issue for me. Also make sure that the Delrin rings are in place that came with the kit.

• Informative
Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
Try some lithium grease on the spring contact points. Also it doesn't hurt to contact UP. They have some good service folks.

I had the same on my UP Coilovers and increasing the spring load by 5mm in the front resolved the issue for me. Also make sure that the Delrin rings are in place that came with the kit.

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried both, except I reduced the preload a little bit because with some ride height changes I was hearing spring skips. Anywho, after 24 hours everything is silent now. And I'm really enjoying the ride again! Thanks!!!

Also, while I was in there, I anti-seized liberally and wrapped the shock bodies up with a garbage bag for the winter. There are prettier ways to protect coilovers from the elements, but it'll just be our secret ;).
IMG_3219.jpeg IMG_3220.jpeg IMG_3223.jpeg

Now I'm back to that super low life. I might need to raise things up a bit later on...
IMG_3226.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! I tried both, except I reduced the preload a little bit because with some ride height changes I was hearing spring skips. Anywho, after 24 hours everything is silent now. And I'm really enjoying the ride again! Thanks!!!

Also, while I was in there, I anti-seized liberally and wrapped the shock bodies up with a garbage bag for the winter. There are prettier ways to protect coilovers from the elements, but it'll just be our secret ;).
View attachment 473603 View attachment 473604 View attachment 473605

Now I'm back to that super low life. I might need to raise things up a bit later on...
View attachment 473606
adjusting spring preload does not change ride height. Glad it worked all the same! Not so sure about the garbage bag thing though.

adjusting spring preload does not change ride height. Glad it worked all the same! Not so sure about the garbage bag thing though.
Yep! I was in there adjusting height and preload. Height was a secondary goal. I should have not mentioned it. In troubleshooting the noise, I took the car to the service center and asked them to look around the coilovers at stock components. My appointment was primarily for other things. Not the noise though. So I adjusted the car almost all the way back up in height because I needed to get 4” of clearance for Tesla’s two-post lift. I didn’t touch preload at that point. But the noise started sounding like spring skips, which can be a symptom of too much preload. So when I lowered it back down by unlocking lock collar at the bottom and rotating the coilover body, I decided to then adjust preload afterwords to be a little bit less than what UP preconfigured — just 2MM less — rather than adding more like you suggested.

No worries on garbage bag! Just keeping debris out for the winter. Some people use Velcro covers. I decided to just use what I had. I googled how to prepare coilovers for the winter and found suggestions like the garbage bag. Just google around if you’re interested in learning more about the coilover covers. Thanks!

Last edited:

View attachment 473603 View attachment 473604 View attachment 473605

View attachment 473606

The wrap around the damper body is not a good idea. It will end up trapping moisture in there and cause more issues from the constant moisture trapped in.

The wrap around the damper body is not a good idea. It will end up trapping moisture in there and cause more issues from the constant moisture trapped in.
Thanks! I’ll read more into it. I’ve seen other folks debate this point on BMW forums: some moisture versus salt and mud.
Anyone ever try using a coilover cover?

Some people sell breathable, removable covers that I’ll take a look at. When it gets wet around here, I can just scissor off these bags. For now, it’s not hurting anything sitting dry in the parking lot. Thanks for the feedback!

Let me start by saying I like both companies and respect both of their huge gains in the EV world. My model 3p has upgrades from both companies
MPP upgrades
Front upper camber arms
Rear upper camber arms
Rear trailing arms
Rear traction arms
Rear toe arms
Master cylinder brake booster support

UP upgrades
F/R sway bars w/ race bushings
Nitro injected coil over system

Other upgrades
SPL F/R endlinks
advan GT 19x9.5
Advan V601 275/35

so ... after all that I have been driving the shot out of the car . Lots of canyon driving hard . The coil over system is sick as fu k. Before j j stalled them j had the UP duel rate springs which were ok but I understand all the bad reviews . Which made me very hesitant to pull trigger on the coils but , being in LA and having UP local did help the decision. They are super supportive . That being said so are the MPP guys they totally helped answer and Inform me . Now the UP coil k we it self is a holiness based nitrogen injected damper system which I have similar system in my ‘74 Porsche race car which I am very happy with, also influenced decision. I had a f85 M3 before my MP3 it had KW v3 on which I liked a lot but it had a bit more bounce to it and the adjustments didn’t seam to make as much of a difference from top to bottom compared to the UP. My wife is pregnant and has zero complaints about tthe comfort of the ride . The car is very responsive and will push anything jnfront of it up the mountain .

Attachments

• FC97F614-1470-499A-9130-7D204352CE75.jpeg
    FC97F614-1470-499A-9130-7D204352CE75.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 195
  • EAE2C10A-71C9-468C-A49D-7F54C92D6911.jpeg
    EAE2C10A-71C9-468C-A49D-7F54C92D6911.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 183