Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming Announcements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The supercharger announcement may be a Google partnership for more rapid deployment both here and overseas to help speed up adoption of EV tech and monopolize EV infrastructure. This allows Google to put cash to work overseas, Elon to use war chest for Gen III development, closes out ICE automakers, and sends stock through the roof. Shorts run, convertible notes become stock at 125 in September. Everybody wins but the shorts, John Peterson & WSJ.

Of the 100, 90 would be in Southern California I presume?

No, no, that would be unfair - it should be 50 (in all of CA), based on half the cars being sold here. Seriously though, I expect Superchargers to be placed less than 100 miles apart on the 101, based on a conversation with a worker who pointed out to me specific cities where they will be working.

I have a feeling the super charger announcement is going to be bigger than we think and possibly contain more information...
Wanna bet? Based on past performance, I'm thinking they announce with great fanfare two new Superchargers in Normal, IL and Centralia, OR. And that they will be having another announcement scheduled in a "couple of weeks.":rolleyes:

Don't know if anyone has suggested this before (and apologies if so; I haven't read the whole thread), but I think the announcment will be additional Supercharger locations as well as reducing the charging time / increasing the power output of the chargers. My bet is that Tesla has been operating the Superchargers on lower than rated capacity in order to test out the network at scale (i.e. towards real car owners). The completely novel approach of fast charging as well as Tesla's software-inspired development strategy leads me to believe that they want to implement and test the system gradually.

It doesn't make sense for Tesla to size their long-term (decades-lasting) charging network just for 2013 battery technology. Batteries are improving fast and Tesla is in this for the long haul - so it seems obvious that the chargers can handle more power than what is currently available. The question is whether the batteries of current Model S cars are also dimensioned for greater power throughput than what is currently public knowledge.

120 kW for sure, that much has been said already. But an increase from 90 to 120 kW doesn't qualify for a major announcement.

That's probably major enough. I think 90 to 120 (i.e. 30 to 22 mins for 150 miles) would be at the same level as the service and lease announcements.

Elon also said: "Most folks don't realize how far we've come with the SuperCharger technology". Which implies that some folks know already. And if some folks know, TMC knows. So it's something we all already know. 120 would fit the bill for that.

My bet is it's probably a combo announcement, consisting of the following:

a) 120 kWh availability "at select locations".
b) 4.5 software for 60's and 85's to show SuperCharger locations
c) Between 5 and 10 new U.S. supercharger locations by the end of summer
d) A plan to start putting SuperChargers in place for Europe. (Like the map with the dots on it like we had in the U.S. last year).

Of course the announcement gets postponed first till the second week of June, due to Elon having a nosejob... uhh... corrective septum surgery :). j/k.

Looks like Better Place is gone. Battery swap may work with Tesla, I don't know. But the idea never took hold with me, wonder if announcement 5 is related?

Electric Car Tech Company Better Place Hits The Deadpool, As The Greentech Shakeout Continues | TechCrunch

Even more interesting, Tesla announced recently they would be selling cars in Israel, and, there has been some loose speculation that Tesla might try to make a move for Better Place:
Will Tesla High Priced Electric Cars be Selling in Israel? | Green Prophet

I just published a speculation on a new thread:

Expect Surprises In Tesla's Upcoming Supercharger Announcement

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShortSlaver viewpost-right.png
I have a feeling the super charger announcement is going to be bigger than we think and possibly contain more information...

kinda think that to, the fact that Tesla wants to deploy lots of superchargers around county wouldn't be anything new, definitely not worth the hype that Elon is creating.

lets do an over under game.

Tesla partners with several restaurant chains across country, and the timeframe to have 50 working superchargers across US is under 18Months.

Rampant speculation, but does EM's "under our noses" statement pertain to induction charging for EVs? I did a simple google search for induction charging for EVs and most articles are from 2011. On the other hand, I don't know if the state of the art for induction charging supports the fastest charging method available right now (80A, I believe?)