Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CameronB

Nov 19, 2016
Los Altos, CA
You guys may have seen this already (did a quick search but didn't see another thread on it - mods feel free to merge threads if I am wrong), but Elon has said that they will be implementing a new feature to allow owners to request new software updates.

So for those of us who don't want to wait around for whatever inscrutable algorithm Tesla uses to move updates through to the fleet, sounds like in the (hopefully) not so distant future we will be able to "pull" the updates rather than always waiting for them to be "pushed" to us.

Tesla will allow owners to request the latest software update, Elon Musk says

Last edited by a moderator:

CameronB

Nov 19, 2016
Los Altos, CA
It’s in both 2018.12 threads, which is why you didn’t see it.

Should be interesting to have a self-selected QA pool (on top of whatever else they do).

Ah. I had been reading some of those threads a few days ago but wasn't fully caught up with the latest there.

I wonder if perhaps this has already been in development and so Elon talking about it might be because it was already scheduled/on the near-term roadmap and he just saw that guy's Twitter post as an opportunity to 'leak' that already-planned for feature.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
Ah. I had been reading some of those threads a few days ago but wasn't fully caught up with the latest there.

I wonder if perhaps this has already been in development and so Elon talking about it might be because it was already scheduled/on the near-term roadmap and he just saw that guy's Twitter post as an opportunity to 'leak' that already-planned for feature.
Yeah. DJ touched on this in Tesla Tidbits today and because of the age of his tweet and Elon’s response today and this (requesting software) was mentioned in a thread here on TMC as having been worked on a few months ago, we think sometimes Elon looks for a tweet to ‘answer’ when he has a feature to enable/rollout.

Makes the company look responsive and doesn’t cost them anything! (That’s the theory, anyway!)

jgs

Oct 28, 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Oh, you've always been able to request an update.

GLENDOWER. I can call software updates from the vasty deep.
HOTSPUR. Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you do call for them?

Pentium2004

Former Vendor
Nov 6, 2017
Lakeland, FL
I spoke with Tesla on Monday and I asked them why they don't make it so we can just request our own update when we want it. Their reply was that they have been discussing/working on it and it could possibly happen soon. Their software engineers are getting so many requests for software updates that they can't keep up. Hope to see this happen and then you won't see a thread like this again.

I was told this back in Feb by Corporate so hopefully it happens soon.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Mine has it!

3F97015A-A448-4B9B-8D8C-576346E0C922.jpeg

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
It'll be like the CLOSE DOOR button on elevators - just for show and to make people feel like they're accomplishing something.

Exactly! There will be a button on the MCU: "New Firmware Available! Press to request an update."

You press it, and it changes to "Firmware Update requested!"

Then you wait for an update just like we all do now.

But you feel like you did something to get it.

sevenout

Aug 8, 2017
Orangevale, CA
Exactly! There will be a button on the MCU: "New Firmware Available! Press to request an update."

You press it, and it changes to "Firmware Update requested!"

Then you wait for an update just like we all do now.

But you feel like you did something to get it.
PLEASE delete this post!!!! If Tesla reads it that is exactly what they are going to do. Ahhhhhh!!!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC