Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming "fix all" firmware 2018.20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped off my MS at the SvC this morning to have a couple small issues looked at. When I went back this afternoon, I was talking to the tech about the car and got on the subject of firmware. I asked him if my car had the latest version (I knew it didn't). While he was looking at my logs, I mentioned that I thought I was on 12 and that 16 was the latest or maybe even 18. He said that 18 was due out soon but that they were all waiting on 20. He said that 20 is supposed to be a big update to "fix all" the issues that have been cropping up lately. I guess we have something to look forward to now!

While I appreciate all the premature excitement, I don't think any of the techs have any idea whatsoever about when an update is coming, or what will be included in it. All of the techs I've talked to are always optimistic about software update fixes, because they are dealing with folks complaining about software issues all day / every day. Of course they will tell you the next one is the "big one", and that it will fix everything. They mean well, and customer relations is a large part of their job. However, based on my experience receiving updates over the course of 2-1/2 years in 2 different vehicles, that "big one that fixes everything" update has never happened - not even once.

I'll be happy if my steering wheel heats, my premium sound system quality returns, and AP2 doesn't regress with the next update...

I'll be happy if my steering wheel heats, my premium sound system quality returns, and AP2 doesn't regress with the next update...

Would you consider a blue pony instead?

Aka *.20.1

If my expectations were any lower at this point, they’d need a shovel and a source of breathable air.

Some say the P85+ with AP1 was the best unicorn Tesla ever made. May be some truth to that, and that vintage of firmware.

The new cars have many more cameras and sensors and MCU2. And it’s mid-2018. Still missing - the “E” in EAP, any vestige of FSD, and the techs, bless their hearts, are looking forward to a bug fix release.

Upon second thought, perhaps a herd of blue ponies would be in order.

After all, it would be impolite to not bring enough for everybody.