Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think "significantly impact" and "valet mode" goes together... ;)

I'm going to toss a random guess out there.

So they worked on torque sleep for the D trim cars (still Model S so I'll call it a trim). It was something they did recently and still haven't fully fine tuned.

How about if they have worked on how to apply torque sleep to the single motor cars for more efficient coasting or better power modulation accelerating or decelerating? Maybe they announce a range increase for all cars in the new firmware? Maybe an inproved or newly labeled ECO mode of some kind or maybe they just roll this into the existing normal driving mode.

Maybe the R&D costs spent to make the D, created code that can make all Model S cars more efficient?

It might include a new broswer (Chrome-based), Waze integration, or perhaps better integration with Superchargers (live status, reservations, etc).

I think these are all fairly likely.

1. Elon promised Chrome integration.

2. Many users have asked for Waze. Others find it abhorrent so it would be an option.

3. Live status is really key for areas that have multiple SpC. This is especially true in Asia and Europe. But it even works in CA: Gilroy or Fremont? Hawthorne or Redondo Beach?

Having said that, I would take this over all of the above as I've been asking for it:

- Faster charging by tapering later, on some conditions met. They must have expected various conditions while charging and have built the safety margins. However if the climate and status of the battery is appropriate it might be possible to taper a bit later to shove 5 minutes off from charging.

Require a password to take it OUT of Valet Mode, sure, obviously.
But why should there be a PW to put it IN Valet, slowing the process? Is this how it works on the Roadster?
I can't think of a reason.

You can't unlock with a password until you have first set a password. That is computing 101 concept right there. After a password is set you can lock it over and over again with the same password. You also have to ability to change a password at will. Still computing 101 concepts.

Upcoming FW upgrade to "significantly impact" essentially the entire fleet

You can't unlock with a password until you have first set a password. That is computing 101 concept right there. After a password is set you can lock it over and over again with the same password. You also have to ability to change a password at will. Still computing 101 concepts.

Okay, thanks!
I was assuming it would be the owner account/PW as used in the Remote Start feature. Didn't think of the simpler, sensible "hotel safe" scheme but it makes sense.
(hopefully Owner Account would over-ride the valet PW!)

OK, I'm going to hope that a guy who wants to populate mars, and had the gall to start SpaceX and scale Tesla would really mean "significant impact" and "entire fleet" when he says it.

A bunch of items suggested on this thread are important, and some of them quite overdue (e.g., valet mode, waypoints/multiple destinations, media player enhancements, better taper), but that doesn't make them "significant impact".

Until I read this thread, I would have said it is going to be API set and initial bunch of apps, plus a few of the aforementioned overdue items.

But I think the broader "eco mode" concept is a great dark horse. Clearly Tesla learned A LOT while tinkering to establish torque sleep. It would not surprise me if the stumbled on a few drivetrain programming improvements that could yield, say, 5% further range.

Maybe a cool visual display lit up inside the nose cone to display an image of our front license plate to avoid getting those annoying fix-it tickets. Scan and save! (Tongue in cheek of course but a cool way to comply with the law and not "uglify" the lines.)

Sorry, IMHO passwords are just lame. Maybe a valet fob - owner's fob has access to settings app to set/reset parameters for valet mode (speed, distance able to travel, yadda yadda), and valet fob can only enable the car inside those restrictions.

Having said that, I don't believe that's what's coming or even in discussion. I'm just uncomfortable with protecting my S with passwords.

How about the ability to input the time you're leaving and have car car automatically figure out what time to start charging?

Not significant, but I would really, really, like to see this feature added to the S. The Volt , Spark, Leaf, etc. had this from day one.

GSP

Definitely would like the tell the car when I am leaving and it can figure out when to start charging.

This is the thread where I posted the letter I recently sent to Tesla, asking for this feature:

Suggestion for battery pre-heating and charge-end scheduling sent to Tesla

Since you also want this feature, why not drop Tesla a quick note, letting them know that?

There's also a poll you can vote in too, but why not do both?

Would you use battery heating if it were available?

My hopes:
- Public API: I hope that they've been working on something to allow apps. I would expect that they'd either vet them heavily or have a limited API.
A public API would really allow geekdom the freedom to create useful apps for drivers, and that would only help Tesla.
- Continuing vampire reduction: they need to match other manufacturers and eliminate drain befire they get to high volume
- Efficiency tweaks. As others have suggested, maybe they learned something from their D work they can apply to single motor operation: this would help with Tesla's Model 3 plans where squeezing out efficiency will matter more.
- Supercharger usage: the number 1 challenge is charging, the more information available, the better.

Maybe a cool visual display lit up inside the nose cone to display an image of our front license plate to avoid getting those annoying fix-it tickets. Scan and save! (Tongue in cheek of course but a cool way to comply with the law and not "uglify" the lines.)

You laugh, but California and New Jersey are looking seriously at having digital license plates that can not only display your license plate number, but can also be remotely programmed to show if the plate is expired, the owner has a warrant issued on him, Amber alerts, even ads. There is no reason automakers couldn't build in display screens right at the factory to be programmed later.

http://www.electronicproducts.com/Optoelectronics/Displays/California_on_the_road_to_being_the_first_state_to_use_digital_license_plates.aspx

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/11/electronic-license-plates_n_3424050.html

[/URL]

You laugh, but California and New Jersey are looking seriously at having digital license plates that can not only display your license plate number, but can also be remotely programmed to show if the plate is expired, the owner has a warrant issued on him, Amber alerts, even ads.

If they have ads, the car owner should get a fee. If they don't, I suspect they could sue the state.

But I think the broader "eco mode" concept is a great dark horse. Clearly Tesla learned A LOT while tinkering to establish torque sleep. It would not surprise me if the stumbled on a few drivetrain programming improvements that could yield, say, 5% further range.

That could be part of it, but it can't be the feature that impacts the "entire fleet" as it would not impact the P85Ds (since they already have it.)

SDK, APIs, and an App store are something that would affect the entire fleet and be a major change. Prediction: The first App will be one that shows the actual tire pressures, with a saver on adding Plugshare HPWCs to the Nav.