Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 17.18.25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on AP1 so I may be getting this sooner than AP2 cars?

some improvements that I've noticed are:

1. It locks on to cars much further down the road now, (looks like a small blue dot on the screen), I noticed this yesterday when I was driving down a road damaged by winter weather and most of the lines were gone...It was tracking a car that was at least 200' in front of me! :)

2. It seems to be "looking" further down the road in general as I drive in AP with my distance set to 1 car length and it seems to start slowing down much sooner now rather than racing up on stopped cars when at a stoplight or traffic.

3. It does much better on badly marked roads or roads with no lane markings even when there's no car for it to lock on to, doing better noticing curbs and seems to be using GPS/Maps/Camera combined to take me down the road. (I will have to post a video tomorrow when I go back down this road, which isn't all the way straight!)

You can see below that there are no road lines shown and it's not locked on the car in front of me, (the car would be blue if it was locked in), but doing a fantastic job keeping me going down the road.
View attachment 227181
It's actually been doing this for a bit longer, because I am still on 17.14.23 and I have noticed the same behavior. I suspect this has more to do with the quantity and quality of data it has on the given road segment and less the version of the AP software. But it's pretty awesome in any case.

[Pet peeve: the AP "distance" is not in units of car lengths. It is a closely related to the time between you and the car you are following. At greater speeds, the following distance increases. It would not do this if it were car lengths (plus, 1 car length at 70mpt would be extremely reckless).]

Here are some images from this morning with terrible road lines to the point that the camera couldn't pick them up. there was no lead car, and it was taking me around this corner with no issues whatsoever. unfortunately i was in a rush trying to include both the road and the dash in the picture so it's kind of hard to tell that i'm actually in AP...

apm1.jpg apm2.jpg apm3.jpg

...[Pet peeve: the AP "distance" is not in units of car lengths. It is a closely related to the time between you and the car you are following. At greater speeds, the following distance increases. It would not do this if it were car lengths (plus, 1 car length at 70mpt would be extremely reckless).]...

true, when i'm following at 1 car length at 40mph for example the car is closer than if i'm doing 50mph, for this reason i've really had no issue following at 70mph.

So, how does that 'work'? I thought it had to tell you it was either using 'road lines/sides' or following the car ahead... 'Making it up as it goes along' isn't supposed to be an AP 'method'. :)

This is the final tier of Autopilot - what the various tech talks referred to as holistic path prediction.

Ideally it stays between two lines it can see.

Failing that, it stays to one side of a single line and guesses a lane width.

Failing that, it follows the car in front, staying centered on them.

If the car can't find lines and can't follow a car, it uses some algorithms to guess at where the lane is.

It won't allow AP to be engaged in this condition, but it won't give up when this arrives, either.

In my past experience, it usually hasn't been very good at this, often making big corrections and generally losing the lane within ten or fifteen seconds. It sounds like 17.18.25 is much better at it.

Last edited:
This is the final tier of Autopilot - what they various tech talks referred to as holistic path prediction.

Ideally it stays between two lines it can see.

Failing that, it stays to one side of a single line and guesses a lane width.

Failing that, it follows the car in front, staying centered on them.

If the car can't find lines and can't follow a car, it uses some algorithms to guess at where the lane is.

It won't allow AP to be engaged in this condition, but it won't give up when this arrives, either.

In my past experience, it usually hasn't been very good at this, often making big corrections and generally losing the lane within ten or fifteen seconds. It sounds like 17.18.25 is much better at it.
So, even when it is 'making it up', if it can, I would hope it tells you somehow. If AP isn't 'engaged', it has control somehow, as you say, as it 'isn't giving up. It either has control or it doesn't!

So, even when it is 'making it up', if it can, I would hope it tells you somehow. If AP isn't 'engaged', it has control somehow, as you say, as it 'isn't giving up. It either has control or it doesn't!

I'm not sure what you mean??

The blue steering wheel and speed tell you is engaged.

It looks to me like the car is telling him exactly what it sees - the lighter gray is where it's guessing the lane is, and it doesn't see lane lines or cars except the one in the distance, so it hasn't drawn any of those.

Seen blue car with AP2

One of the recent Erik and David youtube posts had them showing a very short blue car lock (like above) only for a few seconds. Edit: looks like this one below 17.17.4 at about 3:30, But those locks on cars *way* out are fantastic, as it trails a car around the corner.

On AP2, literally all I've seen is what Erik shows in the above video. For literally a split second it decides to lock onto a car, but then it suddenly decides something else it saw is a lane line and the person in front of you is an idiot driving on top of the lane line, and starts swerving in that direction instead.

AP1 had much smoother transitions between following the car in front versus lane lines. And it even seemed to have memory of where the person in front of you traveled 10 seconds ago and replays that in blue car following mode, so it's not just strictly "copy what the other person is doing at the moment" following.

we have some roadkill on the road, but I've never had AP actually run over anything, is this coincidence or is it possible that it moves out the of the way?

it never jerked the wheel last minute or anything, it just seems that it noticed it and slightly altered my trajectory and I've never actually hit any roadkill...

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
As for the part about following, I often pull into my neighborhood behind another car. The road is old (lighter-colored) asphalt, has no outlet, no lane markings, and smooth rolled curbs. I can engage AP behind the lead car and it will take me a mile down the curvy road just following the car in front. It's done this for about a year--maybe more (I'm on AP1, 2014 Model S).

Looks like OP's SW version seems to be tracking cars further out though.

May 2016 P85D-L firmware update loaded around June 26, version 8.1.17.24.28 (AP1) does have Easter egg basket but several familiar Easter eggs don't appear. Submarine and Mars are shown but won't activate. Other fun stuff does work, so I'm happy for the time being.

Last edited: