Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2018.39.7 (V9) on Belgian roads: it finally nails the dreaded S-curve!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had the opportunity to test the unofficial version of V9 (remember, us non-US folks do not seem to have the right to get the software update officially yet :-( )
Thanks to the new neural net that also take all 8 cameras into account, the improvement we're seeing is unlike any other. Even though it's not perfect and there are some serious glitches that still need to be fixed, the improvements we do get are amazing.
It now finally nails the S-curve I've been testing all along, as well as a much improved auto lane change behaviour, where it accelerates much faster to overtake a car. Bring it on, Tesla!

Thanks for the vid. I have noticed one sporadic behavior thats alarming. When approaching an intersection where the yellow lane divider disapears, AP has tried to cross into the oncoming lane. The first time it happened there was a car there it might have hit, had i not had hands on the wheel. Prior versions had been flawless on this road so it was unexpected. It seems like this is a brand new NN thats not as refined.

Thanks for the vid. I have noticed one sporadic behavior thats alarming. When approaching an intersection where the yellow lane divider disapears, AP has tried to cross into the oncoming lane. The first time it happened there was a car there it might have hit, had i not had hands on the wheel. Prior versions had been flawless on this road so it was unexpected. It seems like this is a brand new NN thats not as refined.

The neural net has been expanded with a lot more information and needs to continuously be trained to refine it further. This is to be expected when you rewrite stuff. One things improves a lot at the cost of other things. Keep in mind that AP is still only meant for highway driving. Everything else it can do is a bonus

The whole time I am watching that video all I am thinking is "Wow, look how well painted those roads are!!!". I come across an awful lot of roads with mediocre paint markings. Indeed, at night and/or in the rain the lack of markings can make it downright dangerous as drivers try to figure out where the heck their lane is!

Reactions: aikisteve