Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2021.24.10 does not fix USB Device Drive Malfunction error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NedH

Feb 27, 2019
GA
With drive that's been working for 3 years and with a brand new SB drive. This error just won't go away since past two updates.

Last service appointment said drive was corrupted. They said they re-formatted drive and it fixed problem but it came back next day. And now with a new update that I thought would fix the issue--didn't fix it.

Not sure if it’s all related but the drive used (for Sentry and Dashcam) hasn’t functioned since I bought my Refreshed S. I’ve been to the service center probably a month back and was told Tesla knows about it and is working on it. That’s last I’ve heard and it’s not been resolved through software update as of yet. I’ve a seen a couple other posts with people reporting similarly. Again, have no idea if it’s somehow related.

While I am not implying I don't believe you, I've personally had many issues with my USB drive since I purchased the vehicle. It used to constantly vanish, stop working, sometimes show "malfunctioned", etc.

I find that letting the car format it causes more problems for me. Instead, I plug it into the PC, delete everything, then manually create the TeslaCam folder. Has been working fine ever since.

I also got this one to replace the one provided by Tesla:

It doesn't stick out as much and doesn't get pushed around by things inside the glovebox.

Last edited: