Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2021.24.4 caused "USB Device Malfunction" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been having USB issues too, getting the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. We have a 2016 Model S with HW3 & MCU2. We use a 500 GB Samsung T7 SSD. We only use 1 of the 2 USB ports. The passenger side one that we've used historically for the Sentry Mode drive has stopped working completely, any time we plug the drive in there it says we need to format it to use it. Plugging in to the driver side USB port usually works but occasionally gives the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. Unplugging the drive & plugging it back in usually works, but sometimes it takes a few times of unplugging & plugging it back in before it will start working again. Sometimes upon plugging in we immediately again get the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message, and other times we'll get the message that we need to format the drive first. I have reformatted the drive both with the quick formatting & the full formatting. I've formatted it both on Windows 10 & MacOS. Nothing seems to resolve it permanently. Any ideas?

Similar issue. I have FSD Beta 2021.44.30.21. It wont format anything bigger than 128GB. I have been running a 1TB Samsung SSD for a couple of years and more recently wont format. If I take the drive and format in a model Y with 2022.3.101.1 all drives (126, 256 and 1TB) format OK and read OK in my 3. I'm convinced it is software related. No error messages on the USB itself but after failed format I'll get a file corrupted message in notifications. Sent a not to the FSD Beta team.