Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2021.24.4 caused "USB Device Malfunction" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after a little more investigation and testing, here’s what I found and (at least for me) my solution (tested twice). I took my Samsung thumb drive and reformatted it in my desktop as exfat. I then took it out to the Tesla and installed it and went into the security screen and hit the format USB drive. As expected, it formatted the entire thumb drive. Back in the house, I installed it into my desktop. I opened it just to make sure it worked and then into properties to make sure it was exfat; both checked out it and also as expected, the Tesla assigned it the name “TESLADRIVE”. I then changed the name of the drive from TESLADRIVE to TESLACAM.

Next, I opened disk mgmt. and reduced the size of TESLACAM and created a new drive called MUSIC. Just for kicks, I reformatted both drives as exfat. I also dumped a few MP3’s in the music drive for later testing. Then out to the Tesla.

I reinserted the thumb drive and the camera lit up (yay!) and then opened the media player and bingo, there were the MP3’s I had copied over. Hit one and played the tune.

Next, I left the drive in, hit the camera to activate it, left it in the Tesla and exited the car. Back in the house I opened my Tesla app, locked the Tesla and turned on the sentry. Then, back out to the garage without my phone. I walked around the car to (hopefully) set off the sentry and another bingo, the lights flashed and the screen displayed the “recording” message. Back in the house and then back to the garage a few moments later to set off the sentry again. Once again, back in the house to get my phone and then back into the Tesla. Camera was still lit with the red dot and sentry was also lit with the red dot, and on the screen was the little sentry alert noting the there were two alerts. Hit the alert button/link (?) to open the viewer and voila, there were my two sentry clips. Hit the save button on the camera and turned it off and removed it from the port and back in the house just to check it on my desktop.

Everything was as it should be and expected. So, I copied all my music files from my old SanDick and dumped them into the MUSIC drive on the thumb drive. And, as guessed, back to the Tesla to see if the music files were all there, a little over 200 MP3’s……

Now, this worked for me, YMMV, but it worked. Perhaps 24.5 fixed the USB issue many of us were having, but in my case, mine would not work until I changed the drive name from TESLADRIVE to TESLACAM and created a subdirectory called TeslaCam. Again, YMMV..

So, after a little more investigation and testing, here’s what I found and (at least for me) my solution (tested twice). I took my Samsung thumb drive and reformatted it in my desktop as exfat. I then took it out to the Tesla and installed it and went into the security screen and hit the format USB drive. As expected, it formatted the entire thumb drive. Back in the house, I installed it into my desktop. I opened it just to make sure it worked and then into properties to make sure it was exfat; both checked out it and also as expected, the Tesla assigned it the name “TESLADRIVE”. I then changed the name of the drive from TESLADRIVE to TESLACAM.

Next, I opened disk mgmt. and reduced the size of TESLACAM and created a new drive called MUSIC. Just for kicks, I reformatted both drives as exfat. I also dumped a few MP3’s in the music drive for later testing. Then out to the Tesla.

I reinserted the thumb drive and the camera lit up (yay!) and then opened the media player and bingo, there were the MP3’s I had copied over. Hit one and played the tune.

Next, I left the drive in, hit the camera to activate it, left it in the Tesla and exited the car. Back in the house I opened my Tesla app, locked the Tesla and turned on the sentry. Then, back out to the garage without my phone. I walked around the car to (hopefully) set off the sentry and another bingo, the lights flashed and the screen displayed the “recording” message. Back in the house and then back to the garage a few moments later to set off the sentry again. Once again, back in the house to get my phone and then back into the Tesla. Camera was still lit with the red dot and sentry was also lit with the red dot, and on the screen was the little sentry alert noting the there were two alerts. Hit the alert button/link (?) to open the viewer and voila, there were my two sentry clips. Hit the save button on the camera and turned it off and removed it from the port and back in the house just to check it on my desktop.

Everything was as it should be and expected. So, I copied all my music files from my old SanDick and dumped them into the MUSIC drive on the thumb drive. And, as guessed, back to the Tesla to see if the music files were all there, a little over 200 MP3’s……

Now, this worked for me, YMMV, but it worked. Perhaps 24.5 fixed the USB issue many of us were having, but in my case, mine would not work until I changed the drive name from TESLADRIVE to TESLACAM and created a subdirectory called TeslaCam. Again, YMMV..
I tried this and it didnt work for me - I was on 2021.32.10. I updated to 2021.32.20 last night and the problem persists. I have a 2021 pre-refresh Model S.

Yesterday afternoon I received 2021.32.21 and as before, I disconnected the drive before the download began and was installed, I then rebooted and reinstalled the drive. I even left the car in my garage overnight with the sentry on and doors locked. Today, I have all teslacam clips, new and old, and all music (still no album art though).

Here also: since one of the latest updates (now at 2021.32, but problem started 1 or 2 updates before): usb errors. The SD card I have been using for last year without any problems stopped working and dashcam icon disappeared. When I format the drive in the Tesla, it does that, and afterwards sometimes the dashcan icon appears again. But when clicking one of the button, e.g. dashcam viewer, it immediately stops and camera icon is gone. Same usb drive in my pc works fine and flash checking apps also report drive is 100% fine. In Tesla also other drives stopped working reliably (some do it a bit longer, but they all get to errors after some time). All since this updates.....

Same problems still after three updates since original update caused the problem. Car has been serviced twice, new USB hub installed in last service. Drives sometimes work for a day then stop. Happening with 4 brand new "Tesla recommended" drives.

Same problems still after three updates since original update caused the problem. Car has been serviced twice, new USB hub installed in last service. Drives sometimes work for a day then stop. Happening with 4 brand new "Tesla recommended" drives.
Thanks for update.

Same problems still after three updates since original update caused the problem.-> me too.

I tried 5-6 kinds of USBs I have. I tried usb 2.0 drive, usb 3.0 drive, usb sd card reader+sd card, Sandisk extreme, usb type ssd drive. Happening with all of these drives.

I was using a USB hub that allows you to plug in up to 3 devices. When I tried connecting the two phone power cords and a thumb drive with music, I got the error message. I kept a separate thumb drive plugged in to the other port for using Sentry mode.
Tesla service said that even though some companies make things that allow multiple connections to one USB port, it can mess up or damage the USB port.
So I will just keep thumb drives for music and sentry plugged into separate ports and charge the phone from a connector in the back or from the cigarette lighter type plug thingies under the armrest.

I contacted Service and they recommended formatting the drive on a computer rather than allow the car to format the drive based on my car's logs. So far, dashcam has been working. Fingers crossed. I used this site to format the drive and allow for Boombox sounds on the same drive: Using the Tesla Boombox feature on same USB Drive as Tesla Cam using Windows 10

Tesla formats it in exfat and in the process names the drive "Tesladrive".

So, over this past week (I'm retired), I've tried various combinations and various thumb drives and even one SanDisk drive. A few of my attempts are noted below.

I was able to get the Tesla formatted thumb drives to work, but not entirely. For instance, when I format a drive in the Tesla it takes the whole drive for the teslacam. I then tried to create two folders on the tesla formatted drive. While I successfully created "Teslacam" and "Music" folders, the Teslacam folder was not recognized by the Tesla sentry and thus would not store any sentry vids. Also, when I went into the media player and then the USB option, I found two folders listed there, one was music and the other was a folder called Teslacam. The music was accessible but the teslacam folder was not, meaning when I opened the sentry (little camera on the touchscreen) there were no vids saved/stored. I then took another thumb drive and let Tesla format it. I took it into the house and plugged it into my desktop. There was one folder called “Tesladrive” and it took all the diskspace. So, using disk mgmt., I repartitioned the drive into two distinct drives, in my case F and G. I left the F drive as “Tesladrive” and I named the other “Music” and dumped a few mp3’s into it. As for the Tesladrive, I created three folders in it, one called RecentClips, another as SavedClips, and the last as Sentryclips, the same way Tesla sentry would name them. I then copied a few clips from a saved drive I had (discussed later) to see if I could view them via the touchscreen.

I then ejected the thumb drive and plugged it into the Tesla’s sentry port. It should be noted that at this point, I had only gotten into the Tesla and not started it. I then put my foot on the brake pedal and effectively started the Tesla. No camera on the screen, BUT, accessing the thumb drive via the media player, I was able to see and play mp3’s that I had saved to the thumb drive. I then left the Tesla, went back into the house and via the phone app, turned on the sentry and locked the doors. Leaving the phone in the house, I went into the garage and walked around the Tesla, the lights flashed and the display showed that it was recording. Thinking I had solved the issue, I went back into the house and grabbed my phone, entered the Tesla to see if there were any sentry clips… NOPE! There was still no camera lit up or even greyed out, it just wasn’t there.

My next dubious attempt was to take another virgin thumb drive and using windows format it to exfat, then using disk mgmt., I created two drives on the thumb drive, both exfat and named them just like Tesla would have. Again, for the music drive “G”, I saved a few mp3’s and this time, I left the teslacam alone to see if the Tesla would recognize the drive and create the sentry folders within it. Back to the Tesla and inserted the drive into the sentry port and hit the brake again. Now I had the sentry camera lit up, but no music. At this point, I removed the drive, went back in the house and grabbed a glass of merlot.

Finally, out of desperation, I took my old SanDisk drive and went back to the garage. This drive was created quite some time ago using windows to create two partitions, teslacam and music. I plugged it into the sentry port and hit the brake pedal. The camera lit up and I had music. So, for kicks, I exited the car, back into the house, and activated the sentry and locked the Tesla. Then back out to the garage without my phone. As before, I walked around the car, the lights flashed and the screen lit up with the “recording” message. So, back in the house and grabbed my phone. Sat in the Tesla and without putting my foot on the brake, I could see the camera was lit up and the red light was present. Touched it and then opened the sentryclip folder. There was a new clip of me walking around the car from a few moments earlier (and a bunch of clips from several months ago).

I can’t explain it, but I left the old SanDisk in the Tesla and tossed the 3 thumb drives (all Samsung) into a drawer in my home office. So, for now my sentry and music both work, though I still don’t have any album art, but I’m OK with that.

FWIW, I should note that during this process 2021.24.5 was installed.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what all these problems are that you folks are having. As noted above, over several days I tried numerous formattings on several drives and the solution in the first post above worked twice in a row and has been working ever since.

Since then, I have downloaded and installed 21.32.21, 21.36.5.1, and earlier today 21.36.8 (which was somewhat depressing since I don't have an iPhone). And each time I followed my instructions, i.e., unplugging the thumb drive (which has proven to work time after time after time), downloaded the update, installed the update, rebooted the car (pressing the two nipples with my foot on the brake, followed by turning it off in the security module - waiting the 3 minutes and then turning the car back on). I then inserted the thumb drive and rebooted again, nipples, brake, off and on, and in each case when the car came back on I had both TeslaCam and my Music folders (alas, still no album art) as in the past.