Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2021.24.4 caused "USB Device Malfunction" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the problems are real. I have tried 4 brand new USB drives including the Tesla USB drive, I have all the latest software updates, I have done all the re-booting things that you have done, and have had a new USB hub installed by Tesla service. They now are installing a new MCU.

So for some of us your solutions don't work. But ALL the people who have posted that a new MCU was installed, have had the problem fixed.

Perhaps your issue was caused by something else.

I contacted Service and they recommended formatting the drive on a computer rather than allow the car to format the drive based on my car's logs. So far, dashcam has been working. Fingers crossed. I used this site to format the drive and allow for Boombox sounds on the same drive: Using the Tesla Boombox feature on same USB Drive as Tesla Cam using Windows 10
Update - over the weekend it started erroring out again. I let Tesla Service know, so I guess I'll see what's next.

Update - over the weekend it started erroring out again. I let Tesla Service know, so I guess I'll see what's next.
Maybe they will try replacing the USB hub next. Seems a likely candidate. But if they are smart they'll contact headquarters who will tell them to go straight to a new MCU like they did in my case after messing with my car for two months!

I’m having a similar issue. I get the errors UI_a078 “USB drive is not accessible by Dashcam” and UI_a126 “USB drive file system is corrupted” but it works fine (2018 model 3, 2021.32.22). Samsung T5 plugged into its own USB port. I re-formatted both partitions again as FAT32 but still get these errors. Still get dashcam and music with no problem despite the active alerts. I’m just ignoring it, but hoping it doesn’t block updates or cause other issues.

Maybe they will try replacing the USB hub next. Seems a likely candidate. But if they are smart they'll contact headquarters who will tell them to go straight to a new MCU like they did in my case after messing with my car for two months!
An update - after working with Tesla Support via the app, I have an appt and the SC on Friday to have my MCU (which includes the 17' Screen), USB Hub, and Wireless Charger replaced. Given an MCU replacement has been the resolution for others, I am hopeful this will also fix things for me.

I had an appointment with a tech and he basically installed a new USB which started working, so we both agreed it was probably my USB drive. I'm buying a new SSD to use and see if the problem still lurks. It's weird because I've been using a 128 gb microSD card samsung pro endurance card without any issues until as of late. The drive also still works on my PC fine, so I don't get what the hell is going on.

Also, I noticed intermittently that my wireless phone charger from Jeda doesn't work, so I mentioned that, but that issue didn't come up when the tech was here. I will get it on video next time to show evidence of it because there seems to be something really weird with the front USB ports.

My screen has started lightly flickering as of late so I'm not sure if that's all related.

I had an appointment with a tech and he basically installed a new USB which started working, so we both agreed it was probably my USB drive. I'm buying a new SSD to use and see if the problem still lurks. It's weird because I've been using a 128 gb microSD card samsung pro endurance card without any issues until as of late. The drive also still works on my PC fine, so I don't get what the hell is going on.

Also, I noticed intermittently that my wireless phone charger from Jeda doesn't work, so I mentioned that, but that issue didn't come up when the tech was here. I will get it on video next time to show evidence of it because there seems to be something really weird with the front USB ports.

My screen has started lightly flickering as of late so I'm not sure if that's all related.
I'll bet that within two weeks your new USB will no longer work and eventually they will decide that you need a new MCU. Happened to me. Took two months to go thru several USB drives and finally they put in a new MCU. Problem solved. And there are more of us who have gone thru the same path.

Interestingly, early this evening, 21.40.6 was pushed to my 3. Afterwards, as before, I rebooted and sure enough, I still have my USB and all the music. I cannot positively say that the issue is MCU related as many of you believe. Indeed I lost my USB about 6 or 7 updates ago and as I note above, I tried various procedures with numerous thumb drives and solved my issue. I think there's an underlying belief and desire that people really want that new MCU, just my opinion. Mine is just fine.

Reactions: S&B's M3
An update - after working with Tesla Support via the app, I have an appt and the SC on Friday to have my MCU (which includes the 17' Screen), USB Hub, and Wireless Charger replaced. Given an MCU replacement has been the resolution for others, I am hopeful this will also fix things for me.
As an update - replacing the MCU appears to have fully resolved my issue. I haven't had this error pop-up since I received my car back on Tuesday.

Yesterday evening Tesla pushed 21.44.5 to my M3, and as before, I rebooted and still had my music and TeslaCam vids. So this is 7 successful updates since 21.24.4 ostensibly caused my USB to malfunction and the USB error to pop up on the screen (48 updates since I took delivery in April of 19). I still can't believe that this is MCU related since I solved my issue without b******* to Tesla to get a new MCU and have not seen a reoccurrence since 24.4.

2021.35.103 (original firmware on a car I've had less than two weeks) and I got a USB error last night. Original Tesla USB stick (128 GB Samsung) that I had partitioned (two ext4 partitions) so I could have some music and Dashcam/Sentry on the same drive.

Music all gives a loading error but the camera recording seems to work. I think I'll put it back to a single exFAT partition as it was setup at the factory and get a second drive for the music, or just use Slacker until I get more recent FW update (I hear the first one can take a long time.)

Upgraded to the following setup and appears to be working great - no errors. Also, this was recemended by Tesla service center:

(moderator note: removed affiliate link. if you want to share the product re post it in a separate post without the affiliate link. Url should say "amazon" not amzn).

Last edited by a moderator:
So, after long trying I figured out that the issue is triggered from the Tesla wireless charger (Model S). If is plugged in and not charging, after max. 5 minutes triggers the error. If plugged in and charging, no error. But if is unplugged, no error and all works well. No other SSD, USB drive or mobile charger is trigering the error. I can reproduce it every time. I opened a ticket with all the information, got a mobile service to replace the wireless charger. But nothing, it triggers the same error again! I am frustrated… Will repoen a ticket again, but maybe is helping anyone else to try and see if is the same issue, so that we can limit the root cause.

Yesterday evening Tesla pushed 21.44.5 to my M3, and as before, I rebooted and still had my music and TeslaCam vids. So this is 7 successful updates since 21.24.4 ostensibly caused my USB to malfunction and the USB error to pop up on the screen (48 updates since I took delivery in April of 19). I still can't believe that this is MCU related since I solved my issue without b******* to Tesla to get a new MCU and have not seen a reoccurrence since 24.4.
This morning Tesla pushed 21.44.25.2 (V11) to my M3 and as before I rebooted and while the controls are not like before (that's the topic for another thread) I still have Teslacam and all my music with album covers. So this makes 9 updates and a move to V11 on my original MCU with no additional USB issues.

Updates (12-24-21).JPG

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Happened to me. Also, fsdBeta bricked my AP with 10.4 download on 11/7/21. Mobile service replaced the USB hub, it failed again the very next drive cycle (said there was nothing they could do for the AP since it was on Beta). Multiple updates later; no software fix. Got it into the SC; motherboard not talking to the daughter board — new MCU. Tesla said the three are not related (USB malfunctions, fsdBeta/AP malfunction, MCU malfunction) but that replacing the MCU fixed all three (which sounds like they’re all the same issue to me…).