Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2021.32.22 bricked my LEMR [not related to update -12v battery failed during update]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Johnny_Mac

Sep 25, 2021
US
Hello,

So, I jumped the gun and applied 2021.32.22 to my 2018 Mid-Range (LEMR). I got the following error messages:

Incompatible Drive System Software detected
Along with a host of other messages
Unable to charge
Schedule service to replace low voltage battery
Electrical system is unable to support all features
Electrical system backup power is unavailable

The car is up and responding and even connected to Teslafi, but won't go anywhere. I tried a hard reset (disconnected HVC terminal under seat) and negative on 12v battery terminal and put a multimeter on the battery. It's got 12 volts. When it came back on, I don't see any more battery charging messages, but still has incompatible drive system software.

So, I'm thinking they just forgot about us poor LEMR minorities and pushed a bad software update. I'm a walker until then :(

Caution!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and KenC
Thanks for the info. Could be just mine. I wasn't having any problems before this. The car was complaining about the 12V battery, but after the reset it's not complaining.

So, maybe a battery or maybe just something wrong with my car.

Thanks for the info. Could be just mine. I wasn't having any problems before this. The car was complaining about the 12V battery, but after the reset it's not complaining.

So, maybe a battery or maybe just something wrong with my car.
So, the car complained about the 12v battery. I suppose you’re not going to have it replaced and the next time you try to drive and it won’t start, you’re going to post about how horrible Tesla is? 😀

So, the car complained about the 12v battery. I suppose you’re not going to have it replaced and the next time you try to drive and it won’t start, you’re going to post about how horrible Tesla is? 😀
Wow, don't be a troll. I'm not complaining about how horrible Tesla is. I love my car and would buy another one. I am an IT professional so I know quite about about how computers work. I shared this information in hopes of finding out if anyone else had problems or if it could help some one else.

The car complained about the 12v battery after the update, not before. After a hard reset of the battery system, the car wasn't complaining about the 12v battery, only that it had "incompatible software". Now the car is completely dead and the car won't even power on. So I probably have no choice but to replace the 12v battery. I'm stuck.

So, no I'm not complaining. I'm sharing.

Hello,

So, I jumped the gun and applied 2021.32.22 to my 2018 Mid-Range (LEMR). I got the following error messages:

Incompatible Drive System Software detected
Along with a host of other messages
Unable to charge
Schedule service to replace low voltage battery
Electrical system is unable to support all features
Electrical system backup power is unavailable

The car is up and responding and even connected to Teslafi, but won't go anywhere. I tried a hard reset (disconnected HVC terminal under seat) and negative on 12v battery terminal and put a multimeter on the battery. It's got 12 volts. When it came back on, I don't see any more battery charging messages, but still has incompatible drive system software.

So, I'm thinking they just forgot about us poor LEMR minorities and pushed a bad software update. I'm a walker until then :(

Caution!
“Bricked”. I don’t think this word means what you think it means…

Reactions: android04
If you are saying that your 12v battery was reading an actual 12.0V, then that is really low and is probably weak enough to cause issues. It should never read below 12.5V.

The dude has posted like ten times on TMC. Why be such a dick to him? Why are their so many holier than thou folks that post on this board? He asked a legitimate question and you gave him a snarky response. Take a deep breath.

All, thanks for your responses and replies. Giving an update since I am back in business. The root cause was that my 12v battery just died during the update so although it seemed to work it didn't and the mobile app did not tell me the car was underivable. The Tesla Mobile Tech came out today and replaced the 12V battery. The software was still in a stuck state, and had to be re-installed. Also, the windows were wonky so had to be re-callibrated to go up/down with one touch.

Normally, I think the car would have warned me that the 12v battery was declining giving me time to replace it. According to the Tech, the update may have just pushed it over the edge.

So, a word of caution to M3 owners who have a 12v battery around 3 years/36k miles - keep an eye on those error messages. Before this happens again, I'll go buy a battery after 2 years or so and have it on the shelf.

images

Disappointed you didn't mean you had one of these guys ^

3 yrs ain't too bad all things considered. It's about the same in other cars.

• Funny
Reactions: RayK and KenC
Had some goofy problems yesterday after the low voltage battery was replaced. The car had four warning messages that came up about the low voltage battery needing replacement. Made an appointment at the nearest service center (that could do it next day) and they replaced the battery. Service center (Jacksonville, Fl about a hundred miles away) did the job and I was on my way home in about 20 minutes. All was well I thought.

It was 95 degrees yesterday and the climate control was on in auto mode however the car was getting warm. Dialed down the temperature to 65 degrees and got A/C however the air was blowing out of the floor ducts. Went to the A/C page and found greyed out sections with a note that those buttons were not available due to a system fault. Put system in manual, and was able to get the air to come out of the dash vents but it kept going back to the floor. Next, I noticed that my battery % remaining didn't match up with my "since last charge" card information. It looked like I wouldn't make it back home but the energy consumption on the energy screen looked normal so I just kept on eye on it. Next, my satellite map overlay disappeared leaving me with a grid pattern and an arrow with no map. I switched to the base map and the streets showed up as normal. I was using streaming for audio so I had a LTE signal and the car was processing it so I had connectivity. Next, I noticed that my phone wasn't charging (from the rear outlets) so no power at the USB ports.

Random things weren't working. I got to a lunch destination and called roadside assistance to see if he could see any problems. He saw a couple of faults and said I should return to the service center. However, I didn't have the range to get there or to the St. Augustine supercharger so I said I would continue on home. He had the logs from tests done at the service center and everything appeared normal after the battery installation. We did a reboot and a shut down with no positive result. I was able to make it back to my house and decided to put some charge in the vehicle and see what happened.

The charge didn't change anything at the time. I checked a couple of things during the charging and found the AC fault had cleared but still had some buttons greyed out related to the modes that allow the system to be left on when you leave the car. There was a note on the screen that said the car had to be above 20% charge to use these features. At that point, the battery was indicating 55% state of charge. Later, I noticed that my satellite maps had returned but the touchscreen was frozen. I could move the map around with my finger, but none of the buttons on the screen would work. Soon, they started to work and I shut off the charging at about 70% and went to bed. This morning, I plugged the charge cable back in to bring the charge to 80% where I normally leave it. Everything in the car now appeared normal. No greyed out buttons. A/C working on auto, power from the USB ports, the "miles since last charge" had reset to zero (as it should). Charging stopped at 80%. Maps working. The car must have worked all this out after repeated power cycles. Tesla offered me a ranger visit in two weeks as my local service center was still booked solid. I may cancel if the car keeps operating normally---but it sure didn't like the battery swap.

Don't know if anyone else has had these issues but just a word to the wise. The car is an early model 3 with the original 12 volt battery. Never had a problem with the car. It's only been to the service center for some minor VIN related blocks of early vehicles to check a couple of items. I only waited a day after the faults in the battery were found and no issues with the car on the way to the service center. Really happy with the car and pretty good responses from both the service center and the roadside assistance guys. Yeah--it would be nice to be able to go to a closer service center but it wasn't a real inconvenience and a nice Saturday morning for a Tesla drive.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC