Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2022.36.20 What is going on!!! 5 Strikes you're out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use autopilot constantly, and I mostly look forward. Recently though, I was messing with Tidal for a minute and it warned me to take over. I didn't mind, and I don't think I got a strike. Actually, let me go look... nope no strike.

I've also noticed that the wheel torque nag time has increased *significantly* over the last few months. Think minutes instead of seconds. This tells me that they are moving (slowly) towards camera attention only. Which would be amazing!

I kinda suspect Tesla is giving up on using a camera for eye tracking to replace wheel torque. There are just too may variables and situations that a camera can't handle well. I wouldn't be surprised if the refreshed 3 had IR sensor and was also added to the Y and all legacy are stuck with wheel torque. After all if completely accurate eye tracking was imminent why double down on torque defeat device detection?

Using Tesla's words against them that driving is done with vision. Well seeing someones eyes can't always be done with vision. Even simple dark sunglasses and you can't tell if someone is looking at you or in another direction.
I believe that Tesla uses head position as a fallback when it cannot track the eyes.

I haven’t seen one. I believe hardware failures do occur of course.
I was getting false "non-attention" alerts. The first time it starting happening I was fussing around trying to find out why and it finally bumped me out of FSD for the trip and gave me a strike. After that I would immediately deactivate FSD if it started doing that, plus I made a service appointment. They replaced my in-cabin camera and adjusted the headliner which was partially blocking the camera. The problem went away. When it false reports were generated I had my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road.

Editing to note my problem wasn't related to 2022.36.20, it was earlier this year. Just mentioning that at least my car did have false strike issues from hardware. Added note 2: it has seemed pickier lately about glances away from the road now the I'm always driving home in the dark, but that's a very subjective thing. Is it the dark, is it the revision, is it both, is it my fertile imagination 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I was getting false "non-attention" alerts. The first time it starting happening I was fussing around trying to find out why and it finally bumped me out of FSD for the trip and gave me a strike. After that I would immediately deactivate FSD if it started doing that, plus I made a service appointment. They replaced my in-cabin camera and adjusted the headliner which was partially blocking the camera. The problem went away. When it false reports were generated I had my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road.
This seems like the logical low impact way of dealing with the issue.

No fear or issues with striking out with this approach. All is well.

I kinda suspect Tesla is giving up on using a camera for eye tracking to replace wheel torque. There are just too may variables and situations that a camera can't handle well. I wouldn't be surprised if the refreshed 3 had IR sensor and was also added to the Y and all legacy are stuck with wheel torque. After all if completely accurate eye tracking was imminent why double down on torque defeat device detection?

Using Tesla's words against them that driving is done with vision. Well seeing someones eyes can't always be done with vision. Even simple dark sunglasses and you can't tell if someone is looking at you or in another direction.
I've driven a Chevy Bolt EUV. It does not require ANY wheel engagement at all. The camera on the steering wheel monitors your eyes (and is NOT too aggressive.. you can look out the side window every now and then). Also I have seen videos and there are clearly LED sensors on the side of the Supercruise bar on the wheel that mnust do sone type of monitoring as well.I

In any case, although its not anywhere near as great as AP, the execution is much more relaxing... The nags are just annoying and it's MORE distracting to me then safe. I hope they perfect the camera monitoring like the Bolt does. And they need tio stop kicking yoiu out without any warning at all too

I've driven a Chevy Bolt EUV. It does not require ANY wheel engagement at all. The camera on the steering wheel monitors your eyes (and is NOT too aggressive.. you can look out the side window every now and then). Also I have seen videos and there are clearly LED sensors on the side of the Supercruise bar on the wheel that mnust do sone type of monitoring as well.I

In any case, although its not anywhere near as great as AP, the execution is much more relaxing... The nags are just annoying and it's MORE distracting to me than safe. I hope they perfect the camera monitoring like the Bolt does. And they need tio stop kicking yoiu out without any warning at all too
You need to understand Teslas unique perspective. The perspective that Chevy/GM, Ford, VW, consumer reports , the General media, and of course even the government have.
Everyone mentioned above, are judged by different optics and rules than Tesla is.
Tesla has to do this safer, and better, or they’ll be roasted and sued instantly. Unlike everyone else.
Tesla is not allowed to play by the same rules everyone else is. The media, and government see to that.
Perspective…

You need to understand Teslas unique perspective. The perspective that Chevy/GM, Ford, VW, consumer reports , the General media, and of course even the government have.
Everyone mentioned above, are judged by different optics and rules than Tesla is.
Tesla has to do this safer, and better, or they’ll be roasted and sued instantly. Unlike everyone else.
Tesla is not allowed to play by the same rules everyone else is. The media, and government see to that.
Perspective…
People have been making this excuse for Tesla since they started almost a decade ago, look through the archives on this forum and you'll see what I'm talking about..

People have been making this excuse for Tesla since they started almost a decade ago, look through the archives on this forum and you'll see what I'm talking about..
Not sure what your point is. ..
It’s not an excuse it’s a fact. :)
The EV auto industry is hard. Others make more mistakes that are never printed. No one is doing it better.
That’s not an excuse. It’s a fact.

• Funny
Reactions: rdub and VT_EE
Not sure what your point is. ..
It’s not an excuse it’s a fact. :)
The EV auto industry is hard. Others make more mistakes that are never printed. No one is doing it better.
That’s not an excuse. It’s a fact.
Not sure why you're talking about EVs being hard, I never said anything about them being easy. And your opinion is not fact no matter how strongly you state it.

My point was it's not a fact that "Tesla is not allowed to play by the same rules everyone else is.", that's your opinion and a common one on this forum for almost a decade now. I may have agreed 8 years ago when they were a small company few had heard of, but I don't anymore and am tired of people giving Tesla a pass, plus I see no good coming from fanbois always making excuses for them.

As for "no one is doing it better", that's another opinion I'd disagree with, there are plenty of other EVs to choose from now and I have friends who have purchased other brands recently that would argue theirs is the best EV.

Reactions: rdub and KArnold
2021 Model YLR
Update 2022.36.20 What is going on!!! FSD strikes out of nowhere.

For almost a year I have had the full self-drive. (Yes, I did the safety score and all) I have 21,000 miles and I would say that 98% is FSD. I had one strike months ago, but after the update to 2022.36.20 I got 4 strikes within 86 miles and have been blocked out. The update did not reset the strikes to zero.

There were no warnings, nothing. Just a disengagement of FSD. The first strike I was looking out the window for 30 seconds and FSD disengaged. Reset the FSD (stop and start the car), started driving and soon it disengaged again. No warning at all. One strike came after another and soon I had 5 and it was over.

I cannot not express how conservatively I was driving. The last thing I wanted was to strike out of FSD.

If this is the way FSD is going to monitor drivers, it will never work. It is not worth the $200.00 monthly if you cannot look out a window while on FSD. Tesla has become too conservative while driving on FSD to make FSD worth the effort and the money. Maybe it is the government’s requirements, I do not know but FSD will never be adapted by the public in the current condition. I don’t see the point in FSD if I must be more attentive driving with FSD, than without.

While driving on FSD I am constantly taking over from Tesla, making corrections, and sending data to Tesla. When it is Tesla faults, no penalty but when I look out the window for a second it is my fault and Tesla strikes me out.

I bought the Tesla for the FSD, and if this is the future for FSD then I would not but another Tesla. I just do not see the advantages over so many other cars that are available.

I would not have updated if I have known this.
This is insane and I totally agree

Reactions: KArnold