Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update after full reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

googleiscoul

3 months maybe, 6 months definitely......
Mar 13, 2017
Aldie VA
I was quite disappointed with the Model 3 unveiling (not much of an unveiling of any sort). Elon barely talked about the car in detail, and the first few people to take delivery weren't even allowed to show the trunk and frunk! Well I didn't care too much about that, but was really dying for the EAP update.. Supercharger v3 info would have been nice too or even an updated S/X on stage wouldn't have hurt - anything else other than Model 3 would have been great honestly (because for some reason they are trying to keep it secret even now after the so called "final unveiling").

The Tesla website has more details about the standard and optional features - but no pricing.

The Motor Trend review does have pricing.

Combining the two sources, it looks like the first production cars will be only RWD/310 mile battery packs and include the Premium Upgrades Package ($5K, which appears to include all of the premium options listed on the Tesla website).

EAP/FSD appears to cost the same as S/X - $8,000 ($10,000 if activated later).

The only other two options that may be available are $1,000 to upgrade from the standard black body color and $1,500 to upgrade from 18" to 19" wheels.

The configuration Motor Trend reviewed was a top-end $59,500 configuration - which is about 1/2 the price of a fully loaded S 100D, with 335 miles of range and 2X cargo capacity.

The bare bones $35,000 is pretty stripped down - manual cloth seats, no power folding/heated mirrors, basic radio, metal roof, manual trunk, ...

After looking at the configuration, my wife's ready to place our order - her only question was whether she should wait another year for the dual motor configuration or order the fully loaded 310 RWD version - and hopefully get it by the end of the year.

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3
The Tesla website has more details about the standard and optional features - but no pricing.

The Motor Trend review does have pricing.

Combining the two sources, it looks like the first production cars will be only RWD/310 mile battery packs and include the Premium Upgrades Package ($5K, which appears to include all of the premium options listed on the Tesla website).

EAP/FSD appears to cost the same as S/X - $8,000 ($10,000 if activated later).

The only other two options that may be available are $1,000 to upgrade from the standard black body color and $1,500 to upgrade from 18" to 19" wheels.

The configuration Motor Trend reviewed was a top-end $59,500 configuration - which is about 1/2 the price of a fully loaded S 100D, with 335 miles of range and 2X cargo capacity.

The bare bones $35,000 is pretty stripped down - manual cloth seats, no power folding/heated mirrors, basic radio, metal roof, manual trunk, ...

After looking at the configuration, my wife's ready to place our order - her only question was whether she should wait another year for the dual motor configuration or order the fully loaded 310 RWD version - and hopefully get it by the end of the year.
It depends where you guys live I guess - RWD imo is fine if you don't get snow or rain often

The RWD in our 4.5 year old S P85 hasn't been an issue. While we've seen a lot of rain - we don't get snow or ice often in our area.

A dual motor Model 3 would likely have slightly longer range at steady highway speeds (putting one of the motors to sleep) and would also likely have more even tire wear.

But, at least in the area where our Model 3 will be driven (primarily for local rush hour commuting), AWD probably wouldn't have much of an impact.

it was a model 3 event, why would anyone expect news about the other models to cloud the momentous introduction of the model 3?

Musk explained that they are still in "hell". Stimulating even more demand that they can't fulfill may be detrimental to S/X sales.

They may have made too good of a car here. What percent of current S buyer would instead choose a loaded Model 3 for $60K?

Tesla's need to make deals on new factories is somewhat at odds with making good monthly sales.

Get good tires, and RWD is just fine in the snow. Get crappy tires, AWD will help you get going too fast and then you won't be able to stop :)

This was a "delivering first production cars" event. Really, it was a public broadcast of a company meeting. The follow up on the site with the extra information works for me.

I think they blew it out of the water with the Model 3. That car is amazing.

What I am extremely disappointed about is the fact that the S100D has 335 miles of range, is slightly bigger, and slightly faster for $100k when the Model 3 top of the line will cost $60k with 310 miles of range. They didnt think that through properly. Not enough incentive to pay that much extra for a 100D now.

Reactions: T_E_S_L_A
I think they blew it out of the water with the Model 3. That car is amazing.

What I am extremely disappointed about is the fact that the S100D has 335 miles of range, is slightly bigger, and slightly faster for $100k when the Model 3 top of the line will cost $60k with 310 miles of range. They didnt think that through properly. Not enough incentive to pay that much extra for a 100D now.

The D variant of model 3 will most likely bump the range to the 335 mark.
If my next car is a model 3, it'll probably be the D variant, top of the line.

Any news on aluminum body vs cheaper to repair?

Um, no. In narrow, steep terrain on variable ice and snow I drive on Blizzaks. Rear wheel drive is not just fine if you want to enjoy driving while everyone stays in, afraid to go out.

RWD does just fine in snow and ice, but the car's weight needs to be over the drive wheels. Try an original VW Beetle sometime, or a Model S.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf