Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update available but it doesn't download

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my phone hot-spot enabled and the car connected to it but it never appears to download the available software update.
IMG_20190824_195656.jpg

Channel changed. Speedtested. Changed channels a few more times, best speedtest result is attached. Forget WiFi network, rejoin. Wash, rinse, repeat, still can't get the update.

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 82
Yes, 2.4Ghz. I also have a separate 5Ghz channel which the 3 connects to just fine as well, despite reading that they cannot connect.

The urgency is my AC isn't working, it stopped working yesterday after I turned it on from the iOS app while walking toward the car. Roadside Assistance observed I was behind in SW updates, so I'm hoping an update will solve my no-AC problem. Otherwise, I have to go w/o AC for a week until taking it in for a service appointment.

Yes, 2.4Ghz. I also have a separate 5Ghz channel which the 3 connects to just fine as well, despite reading that they cannot connect.

The urgency is my AC isn't working, it stopped working yesterday after I turned it on from the iOS app while walking toward the car. Roadside Assistance observed I was behind in SW updates, so I'm hoping an update will solve my no-AC problem. Otherwise, I have to go w/o AC for a week until taking it in for a service appointment.
Obviously you did a reboot, from the steering wheel; let the car sleep and maybe it'll come back.

this likely doesnt help you, but for me, even though the car connects fine to 5ghz channel and runs a speed test just fine, I never got an update over 5 ghz for some reason. It sounds like you are using 2.4ghz and I would suggest you continue to do so, even though the car accepts 5ghz.

It sounds to me like you have a corrupt partial download of the update. I have never experienced that on the tesla but have read of others who have. The only resolution I have seen posted for that is for roadside assistance to delete and re send update.

Take your car to a friend's house where you can connect to their wifi, and see if that may trigger the download. Do you have another router to try? What router are you using? Has it worked for downloads before?

Okay, looked back, it hasn't ever worked for downloads, so I would start to suspect the router. I'd try another router, even an old one that you replaced, anything, just to see if you can get the download.

It connects to my work wifi as well, where it sits for 10 hours/weekday, my coworkers regularly receive updates to their Teslas there. I suspect the problem is not on my end.

What I see is a few green pixels to the far left of the loading bar below the Software Update section (as seen in the screenshots I've posted), that hasn't changed since I got the car a month ago. I ignored it up to now because I had read somewhere that new cars do not receive updates right away, however, the RA CSRs comment make me think that it should be getting updates.

Chat is closed on weekends, the only option is emailed support, which I did yesterday. Haven't heard back. Looks like you're on your own on weekends.

It's 84F out and I'm not driving this thing in that heat w/o AC. I'm glad I hung onto my old car because a heatwave is predicted for this week, my 52 mile rt commute would be awful w/o air.

FWIW, my 3's air conditioning issue was due to a bad compressor. Service replaced it and a fan, said they would take care of the update as well. Unfortunately, they forgot to do the update and I didn't notice when I picked up it up (was just happy to finally get my car back after it was at the service center for 2 weeks) so I'm still stuck on v2019.15.105

Further reading indicates the problem may be that the software download & update sequence is initiated by a cellular signal to the car to wake it up, then the download happens over wifi. I have zero cell signal at home, from any carrier (the hazard of living in a canyon), so if this is indeed the required sequence, I will never be able to get updates overnight.