Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update Caused Powerwalls to Go Offline?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I noticed that I couldn't get data from my Powerwalls to see the status. I tried the Tesla app, connecting through my LAN (my Gateway connected to my LAN by Ethernet), and Powerwall Companion. I had the option to "Connect" via the LAN connection so I pressed that. It then said Updating and after a while they were back online. I'm now on firmware version 22.9.

It appears my Powerwalls have been offline since Thursday evening. There is no data available since then until I "connected" this morning. I never received any notifications that there were any problems with my system. I just happened to decide to check the status.

With 22.9, I now see a ~1kWH draw from the grid in total for the day. This is both shown in the app and if I check the hourly data on my SCE account. Prior to this update, I would have 0 grid usage. Anyone else seeing this?

This morning I noticed that I couldn't get data from my Powerwalls to see the status. I tried the Tesla app, connecting through my LAN (my Gateway connected to my LAN by Ethernet), and Powerwall Companion. I had the option to "Connect" via the LAN connection so I pressed that. It then said Updating and after a while they were back online. I'm now on firmware version 22.9.

It appears my Powerwalls have been offline since Thursday evening. There is no data available since then until I "connected" this morning. I never received any notifications that there were any problems with my system. I just happened to decide to check the status.
My PW has dropped out a couple of times midday last several days (starting Friday, it seems) - on 22.1.1 b0ec2432 - possibly trying to do an update? I've ended up resetting the PW each time after it's been off for ~ an hour to recover it.

Not sure what is going on, will likely have to call in if it continues. Would be really cool if they pushed updates when the sun was down lol.

I do see odd little .1 - .2 kW pull & push to grid during the day.

My PW has dropped out a couple of times midday last several days (starting Friday, it seems) - on 22.1.1 b0ec2432 - possibly trying to do an update? I've ended up resetting the PW each time after it's been off for ~ an hour to recover it.

Not sure what is going on, will likely have to call in if it continues. Would be really cool if they pushed updates when the sun was down lol.

I do see odd little .1 - .2 kW pull & push to grid during the day.

Since the FW update, I see pretty much a consistent .06kWH pull from the grid per hour. Previous to the update, I would get a spurious .01kWH pull. Now you may say that .06 isn't a lot, but if you add it up that's 1.44kWH per day totaling an unnecessary pull of 525.6kWH yearly. Everything was working great before the update, just want to see if anyone else is seeing this. I haven't rebooted anything yet to see if the issue goes away.

See attached screenshot from SCE hourly usage as well as what I see locally.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 10.03.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 10.03.14 AM.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 10.11.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 10.11.46 AM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 70
Since the FW update, I see pretty much a consistent .06kWH pull from the grid per hour. Previous to the update, I would get a spurious .01kWH pull. Now you may say that .06 isn't a lot, but if you add it up that's 1.44kWH per day totaling an unnecessary pull of 525.6kWH yearly. Everything was working great before the update, just want to see if anyone else is seeing this. I haven't rebooted anything yet to see if the issue goes away.

See attached screenshot from SCE hourly usage as well as what I see locally.
My system occasionally pulls a little bit (ex. 0.1kW) from the grid even when there is plenty of solar power being generated. And the system will also send little bits of energy back to the grid (again in 0.1 kW) chunks. On my graphana plots it looks like these events occur couple of minutes and are very short duration (5-10 seconds max).

I assumed these little pulse were ways the system could verify it can send or receive energy from the grid.

Reactions: ptdusn
My system occasionally pulls a little bit (ex. 0.1kW) from the grid even when there is plenty of solar power being generated. And the system will also send little bits of energy back to the grid (again in 0.1 kW) chunks. On my graphana plots it looks like these events occur couple of minutes and are very short duration (5-10 seconds max).

I assumed these little pulse were ways the system could verify it can send or receive energy from the grid.
Yes, that happened before, but with the new FW, there is an aggregate .06kWH per hour being pulled from the grid based on the data from SCE (which is the data that actually matters for billing). Prior to the last update, I would see an occasional 0.01kWH for a given hour on the SCE data, but most were zero. Something changed in the latest FW for me.

Yes, that happened before, but with the new FW, there is an aggregate .06kWH per hour being pulled from the grid based on the data from SCE (which is the data that actually matters for billing). Prior to the last update, I would see an occasional 0.01kWH for a given hour on the SCE data, but most were zero. Something changed in the latest FW for me.
Interesting. Maybe I should see if I can pull data from PG&E and verify that my numbers match their numbers. In my data seems to show those little pulses adding up in my favor. With me sending more 0.1 kW power pulses back to PG&E than those the 0.1 kW pulse are being pulled from PG&E, while the batteries are charging.

Interesting. Maybe I should see if I can pull data from PG&E and verify that my numbers match their numbers. In my data seems to show those little pulses adding up in my favor. With me sending more 0.1 kW power pulses back to PG&E than those the 0.1 kW pulse are being pulled from PG&E, while the batteries are charging.
Yes, it looks like a non-issue until you check the data on the Utility side. For me the pulses were very rare (I keep the local web page up on my PC while I'm working) and would only very ocassionlly see the blip in both directions. Now, I see almost a constant pull from the grid albeit very small (0.1kW is the smallest measurement Tesla provides)

Reactions: jboy210
I used to have the same problem happen on the older firmware and had to reset my system for it to start working normally, although haven’t seen it with the last few firmware updates. I have been on 22.9 for a few weeks now. Maybe try a reset of the system (all system LEDs should turn off) and see if you still see the same issue.

I used to have the same problem happen on the older firmware and had to reset my system for it to start working normally, although haven’t seen it with the last few firmware updates. I have been on 22.9 for a few weeks now. Maybe try a reset of the system (all system LEDs should turn off) and see if you still see the same issue.
Yes ... was thinking of doing that as well. Did you power off PWs, Inverter and Gateway?

I am seeing similar issues, at a somewhat larger magnitude than you.

I am seeing similar issues, at a somewhat larger magnitude than you.

Thanks. Bummer. I haven’t rebooted yet, will try Wednesday when I’m working from home next. I submitted a service request in the app, may also try calling customer support as well if it does not resolve.

I am in UK and on 22.9 for a few days I suspect. I am seeing constant .06kWh per hour from grid when there shouldn’t be any - before 25th March this wasn’t happening. Also yesterday the PWs(x2) would not take excess PV gen and allowed grid export even though battery capacity available.
Has full power reset solved this for anyone?
Thanks

I am in UK and on 22.9 for a few days I suspect. I am seeing constant .06kWh per hour from grid when there shouldn’t be any - before 25th March this wasn’t happening. Also yesterday the PWs(x2) would not take excess PV gen and allowed grid export even though battery capacity available.
Has full power reset solved this for anyone?
Thanks

A reboot didn't resolve. I chatted with a support rep, they hadn't heard of the issue (and tried to dismiss). It was escalated to Tier 2. Who knows how long it will take to get resolved. I'm now using 4-5% of power unnecessarily from the grid per the Impact section of the app!!!! GRRRRRRR

A reboot didn't resolve. I chatted with a support rep, they hadn't heard of the issue (and tried to dismiss). It was escalated to Tier 2. Who knows how long it will take to get resolved. I'm now using 4-5% of power unnecessarily from the grid per the Impact section of the app!!!! GRRRRRRR

FWIW, see my update here:

Might be worth simulating a grid outage for 10-15 minutes by throwing your main breaker (leaving the powerwalls and gateway ON to provide backup power) to see if things fix themselves.

FWIW, see my update here:

Might be worth simulating a grid outage for 10-15 minutes by throwing your main breaker (leaving the powerwalls and gateway ON to provide backup power) to see if things fix themselves.

Thanks ... I can try that as well to see if it "resolves" on its own. I can also try the go off grid option in the app as well. Pretty frustrating as Chat support was dismissing ... the app shows 4-5% grid use a day since the FW update and prior to this it was 0% as my PV+PW meets all my needs this time of year

Well I tried simulating an hour+ outage using the go off grid option in the app, and by manually flipping my main breaker. I also did a 10 second reset of the gateway. Nothing helps ... I'm still seeing a low level pull from the grid. And seeing as it is "only" 4-5% of my daily usage, Tesla doesn't think its a big deal!!