Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update Caused Powerwalls to Go Offline?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I tried simulating an hour+ outage using the go off grid option in the app, and by manually flipping my main breaker. I also did a 10 second reset of the gateway. Nothing helps ... I'm still seeing a low level pull from the grid. And seeing as it is "only" 4-5% of my daily usage, Tesla doesn't think its a big deal!!
I assume you are seeing this in both self powered and TOU modes?

I assume you are seeing this in both self powered and TOU modes?
INTERESTING you mention this. I have an automation in Hubitat using Powerwall manager to switch to TOU at 4PM then back to self powered at 8PM (no PV at that time anyway) so I can export all solar to the grid to get max credits (arbitrage). Starting at the same time, during TOU export (which should be 100% to grid, 0.1kW is directed from PV to home, the balance is pulled from PW. Prior to the FW update, during TOU hours, 100% of PV would be exported, and 100% of home needs would be pulled from Powerwalls. See screenshot below. The correct behavior is seen in the second screenshot (which now only happens very briefly) The pull is too small to be seen from the Tesla app, but can be seen from the local Gateway page. I know that this seems small, but is super frustrating as everything worked perfectly before the FW update. Any ideas as to what is going on or how to resolve would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.12.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.12.51 PM.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.19.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.19.19 PM.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
INTERESTING you mention this. I have an automation in Hubitat using Powerwall manager to switch to TOU at 4PM then back to self powered at 8PM (no PV at that time anyway) so I can export all solar to the grid to get max credits (arbitrage). Starting at the same time, during TOU export (which should be 100% to grid, 0.1kW is directed from PV to home, the balance is pulled from PW. Prior to the FW update, during TOU hours, 100% of PV would be exported, and 100% of home needs would be pulled from Powerwalls. See screenshot below. The correct behavior is seen in the second screenshot (which now only happens very briefly) The pull is too small to be seen from the Tesla app, but can be seen from the local Gateway page. I know that this seems small, but is super frustrating as everything worked perfectly before the FW update. Any ideas as to what is going on or how to resolve would be appreciated!
Guessing it must be a bug that you are somehow hitting as I used to see similar behavior in previous releases but hasn't been an issue lately. I only mentioned it as I have a similar automation and in the past I noticed the extra draw in TOU mode after the sun was down. Maybe try looking at the CT data and see if anything is odd from any of the readings.

Guessing it must be a bug that you are somehow hitting as I used to see similar behavior in previous releases but hasn't been an issue lately. I only mentioned it as I have a similar automation and in the past I noticed the extra draw in TOU mode after the sun was down. Maybe try looking at the CT data and see if anything is odd from any of the readings.
I first thought it was some sort of rounding error on the data side from Tesla, but it does show up in my actual hourly data on the SCE side (where it matters most). I do see a slight hour-by-hour pull from the grid ever since the FW update.