Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update downloaded without WIFI 2022.20.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always downloaded my updates via my own Wifi when parked in front of my house. It was just strong enough to allow for it. About thursday there was a download pending for update 2022.20.7 to download after connecting to Wifi.

My M3 has been parked outside of my wifi range since wednesday evening (100m) and thursday morning early I got a new ISP and have not entered the new Wifi info yet as there was no need to leave the house. When I just now (friday afternoon) checked my tesla app it said click to start the install of the new update.

This means the update was downloaded without Wifi as my car has no other wifi networks registered but my old one.

I thought updates never downloaded without wifi or did Elon change that? maybe for small updates it uses the lte? i am suscribed to it.

Anyone else experienced this? or can a tesla use open wifi without me selecting it to do so?

I've always downloaded my updates via my own Wifi when parked in front of my house. It was just strong enough to allow for it. About thursday there was a download pending for update 2022.20.7 to download after connecting to Wifi.

My M3 has been parked outside of my wifi range since wednesday evening (100m) and thursday morning early I got a new ISP and have not entered the new Wifi info yet as there was no need to leave the house. When I just now (friday afternoon) checked my tesla app it said click to start the install of the new update.

This means the update was downloaded without Wifi as my car has no other wifi networks registered but my old one.

I thought updates never downloaded without wifi or did Elon change that? maybe for small updates it uses the lte? i am suscribed to it.

Anyone else experienced this? or can a tesla use open wifi without me selecting it to do so?
There are some updates that Tesla will push even with no WiFi, but the vast majority require WiFi connectivity.

Reactions: rpiotro
I got prompted for 20.7 (from 20.6) while the car was parked at an airport, didn't install till we got back home, and connected to the home WiFI.

On 20.6 for 8 days, but I got prompted sooner than that (just didn't install), so I'd say only like 5 days on 20.6 if I could've installed immediately - sounds like a pretty quick patch:

1659388451863.png

I have been on 2022.20.6 since Thursday (July 28). When I left home this morning I noticed that 2022.20.7 was downloading--that would have been on Wi-Fi. After departing it stopped downloading and has not continued. The car says I should connect to Wi-Fi to continue. The phone app says "Downloading", so at first I thought it would make progress on Wi-Fi, but it has been stuck at 50% for seven hours. Maybe they don't consider it that important for my car, or maybe there's a problem where once if starts downloading on Wi-Fi it will only continue that way?

I have been on 2022.20.6 since Thursday (July 28). When I left home this morning I noticed that 2022.20.7 was downloading--that would have been on Wi-Fi. After departing it stopped downloading and has not continued. The car says I should connect to Wi-Fi to continue. The phone app says "Downloading", so at first I thought it would make progress on Wi-Fi, but it has been stuck at 50% for seven hours. Maybe they don't consider it that important for my car, or maybe there's a problem where once if starts downloading on Wi-Fi it will only continue that way?
Same thing happened here. Then I went on an hour drive and it prompted me to connect to wifi. I hotspot my phone.

Every single update will down load to about 40-50% and then just sit there for a while. Eventually it fills up. But it really doesn’t act like a Regular download of a file

Same thing happened here. Then I went on an hour drive and it prompted me to connect to wifi. I hotspot my phone.

Every single update will down load to about 40-50% and then just sit there for a while. Eventually it fills up. But it really doesn’t act like a Regular download of a file

When 2022.20.6 downloaded it sat at 50% for about an hour. But today has been seven, so I'm assuming it's just stuck right now and not merely a whacky progress indicator.

I don't really want to experiment with it today: I plan on rebooting the car as soon as I get home just to help this get going, whether it needs a reboot or not.

Yeah, the last few updates have had that same behavior, it seems to stall around 50% for a long period, eventually start again, but slowly. I think my last two updates were like a good solid hour from initial prompt to the car showing the version on the app.

Hahaha, one took so long I actually fell asleep, and the next morning it was done :D