Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update Drought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it me or has it been a long time since the last update? 2017/S75/HW3/MCU1/FSD2/2020.36.11.

Update Drought. I saw this thread and I first let my brain read what it wanted to see. And update on the drought. Hmm, what drought? There's lots of storms and some snow in places, where would there be a drought. Ohhhhhh, its not a Drought Update, its a Update on not getting Updates, so someone is thirsty for updates. Okay, got it. Well, let's talk about that for a few minutes.

You are MCU1. I was too. You are 2017. I am too. I have only 14,000 miles and my MCU1 was failing. I am sure. Long story, but my MCU rebooted itself every 20 minutes when I was driving for 4 months. That's like years of driving but really abuse in a short time. Nothing had really started failing like most failing MCU1. But there was another problem. Updates. My MCU would load 20% or 30% and hang. Would go no further. No tricks would work, turning wifi on and off, rebooting. Shutdowns, calling SC and getting them to push a fresh update, it would never finish. This went on for 8 months. Would not update.

Finally, I had the chance to get MCU2 update. Man-oh-man, the difference. Just this week, I was on 40.4. Had not been in the seat in 5 days. So, I was sitting in the car, and just for fun, I opened the Software section and pressed the "Advanced" button a half dozen times. The car woke and displayed, - Checking for Update. And found one. 40.8. So it started downloading. I don't know how large it was, but I saw the car pulling it in at 3-4 mps, until in about 4 minutes it was done. The app beeped and reported software available.

So, having experienced to a degree considerably greater than you are reporting, I think you have a MCU1 starting to fail problem. I don't think it will get better on its own. I track MCU1 failures across TM and TMC. I am not exaggerating when I say I have ready thousands of posts about MCU1 problems and failures. If you are disinterested in the MCU2 upgrade, you should at least get the MCU1 Tegra daughterboard replacement. Even if you must pay for it yourself. Your '17 is still under warranty. You may have to complain, complain and then complain about updates before the SC agrees to replace your daughterboard. Shucks realistically, you may have to whine about it until your warranty expires and they still might not want to do it. But if warranty runs out, and you have to pay for it, even then it will be worth it to the health of your car. Good luck.

Now, you have probably just got a notice of software update and blown my theory out of the water. :)

I think you have a MCU1 starting to fail problem. I don't think it will get better on its own. I track MCU1 failures across TM and TMC. I am not exaggerating when I say I have ready thousands of posts about MCU1 problems and failures. If you are disinterested in the MCU2 upgrade, you should at least get the MCU1 Tegra daughterboard replacement.

2015 P90D here with AP1 on MCU1 as well on 36.11 with some signs of MCU failing. Am considering MCU2. I follow your theory that MCU1 cars without a replacement board would receive less updates. Will keep an eye on this.

Our 2017 S MCU1/FSD is on 2020.36.11

Our 2018 X MCU2/FSD is on 2020.40.8

There was a brief time when our S had a newer release than the X, though most of the time our X is on newer software.

We decided against the Infotainment Upgrade on our S, because we didn't want to lose FM/HD/XM radio - now that there will be a radio option with the MCU2 upgrade, we'll be reconsidering that decision.

Periodically while our S is in the garage, I will check the software settings tab to verify the software has successfully checked for a new update.

Looks like 2020.36.11 may be the latest release supported on MCU1...

I believe it’s been mentioned here that some SeC have advised owners with problematic MCU1 to not be eager for new updates as it looks to be like lottery - you will never know if the non active eMMC partition will fail or not. I’m also on 36.11 and each time keeping my breath during new SW download.

Reactions: aerodyne
I believe it’s been mentioned here that some SeC have advised owners with problematic MCU1 to not be eager for new updates as it looks to be like lottery - you will never know if the non active eMMC partition will fail or not. I’m also on 36.11 and each time keeping my breath during new SW download.

Lol its a matter of time. I'm just waiting for mine to croke before I have no choice but to get mcu2

@KalJoMoS, I agree with you. If that inactive eMMC partition is unhealthy/problematic and a new update downloads, it could cause the eMMC/MCU1 to fail as it attempts to install and reboot itself. And there's no going back. There's no easy way to know for sure that the inactive partition has a problem - except when you see the download start and it won't finish. Its hangs partially downloaded. Those are signs without diagnostic tools that give us hints there's something wrong with the eMMC. Even though we want the update, we should be some what pleased that its not able to download for installation that update. Because it is downloading to the area where its going to install and run from. We have seen reports that the MCU1 went black and didn't come back, as/right after an update.

Let's remember the sequence too. We only get an alert on our phones that an update is available, once it has completed the download and the car is ready for the installation. The alert does not come to the phone just when there's an update. The update has to have downloaded and the car process it ready for installation before the alert is received.