Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update enables cabin camera for driver monitoring....I guess excluding models S & X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, count me as a dope that drank the Kool-Aid. 🤦‍♂️

Oh well, maybe I'll get some more useful features out of it. I'm keeping the car until it dies a slow death. At least I didn't pay $10k. Model S configuration page is still stating autosteer on city streets will be released later this year. I'm not holding my breath.
Wow, I'm officially not purchasing FSD. Is there anyone on this forum that doesn't regret purchasing this option?

Disappointing for me, because a large part of the reason I went with Tesla was autonomous driving capability, although as I stated, the present AP features are really nice.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
As a Model S owner since 2016 who has been following all the broken promises and pain associated with FSD, I for one won't purchase any FSD if/until it not only is made available to everyone (instead of a very limited group of people), but also until I see how well it meets my needs as something short of Level 5 autonomy.

After watching enough videos on YouTube of those currently testing FSD, my take is that drivers need to be much more proactive than when driving the car themselves, given how quickly things can go wrong when the computer is running things. I consider that a **very** different experience than what I have using Autopilot on the highways, where basically simple lane-keeping tech and adaptive cruise allows me to relax a little and thereby have more situational awareness of my surroundings.

I have had AP. Ive had EAP. I have FSD now. Looking at a new LR S IF the standard steering wheel is offered as an option.
I will not be purchasing FSD for this one. My opinion: There is a difference between things working according to the book and working in a natural type manner. The first might happen this year. But for anyone (as an example) driving in NYC rush hour traffic? I can pretty much guarantee you'd turn off city FSD (once its out) almost every time, and just take over yourself.

Im not spending $10k to do THAT.

Reactions: Wol747 and AMPd
My quick take on FSD:

First, my car came with the FSD package (new inventory purchase). I really like the current functionality and it works well for my needs. I am looking forward to the new FSD beta rollout as it looks very interesting.

Now - would I pay $10k for what is currently offered? Probably not. I just don't think it's worth it. If it was $5k, I'd say yes for sure. As a subscription service it would make sense but I can't see paying upwards of what might be $100/month for something like this.

All that being said, with technology, you always buy a product based on the features it has today. You never ever buy a product based on promised functionality and enhancements because said functionality may never come to fruition.

Will a Tesla ever be fully level 5 autonomous (actual full self driving) where you can just put in an address, climb in the back seat and take a nap? Maybe - but probably not in the lifetime of your car and possibly not even in your lifetime.

My quick take on FSD:

First, my car came with the FSD package (new inventory purchase). I really like the current functionality and it works well for my needs. I am looking forward to the new FSD beta rollout as it looks very interesting.

Now - would I pay $10k for what is currently offered? Probably not. I just don't think it's worth it. If it was $5k, I'd say yes for sure. As a subscription service it would make sense but I can't see paying upwards of what might be $100/month for something like this.

All that being said, with technology, you always buy a product based on the features it has today. You never ever buy a product based on promised functionality and enhancements because said functionality may never come to fruition.

Will a Tesla ever be fully level 5 autonomous (actual full self driving) where you can just put in an address, climb in the back seat and take a nap? Maybe - but probably not in the lifetime of your car and possibly not even in your lifetime.
When I took delivery last week, the sales rep and I discussed the cost of FSD. He told me thinks the subscription service is going to be $250 per month.

I don't think any of these guys have inside information or anything, but it's just another data point to consider for those waiting for a sub service.

I think many people here have the mindset of "I'll replace my car every 3 years" and that's fine, for me I don't see a reason to replace cars because they are old. I was still driving my 2000 Honda Insight when I got my Tesla in 2018 and I still have the Insight, it can be cheaper to drive and I can tow it behind my RV.

I purchased FSD when I got my car because I hope some day to get in and ask the car to drive me to Walgreens to pick up my prescription when I am too old to drive myself. I figured that if I *didn't* purchase FSD the chances of this happening were worse

I wanted to support the cause.

I have been extremely happy with what I have gotten in the mean time. I started with a car that couldn't go over the Santa Cruz mountains w/o giving me a heart attack it drove so close to the concrete barriers. A few months later it would take me 65 miles from my mother in laws house to my exit for Alameda w/o my inputing any control inputs other than confirming I was still there by tugging the wheel. A fortunate quirk of that drive was no lane changes were required for such a great distance, and so many different driving conditions, I told EVERYONE about that drive.

When they added interchange tracking and auto lane change I was able to drive from LA to SF w/o input other than driving down the Supercharger exit. I have been using that for more than a year and it covers 99% of my driving. Up to the cabin on the weekends, up to the Mother in laws house to fix it up to sell now that she's gone. I just got back from a 5000 mile road trip to the meet up in SD and thru to Seattle to visit family. So easy with the car doing all the driving.

FSD is just around the corner now, not sure why everyone has gotten so bleak all of a sudden. Where was this trash talk in 2019 when people had owned FSD cars for three years with nothing really full to show.

Last edited:
I think many people here have the mindset of "I'll replace my car every 3 years" and that's fine, for me I don't see a reason to replace cars because they are old. I was still driving my 2000 Honda Insight when I got my Tesla in 2018 and I still have the Insight, it can be cheaper to drive and I can tow it behind my RV.

I purchased FSD when I got my car because I hope some day to get in and ask the car to drive me to Walgreens to pick up my prescription when I am too old to drive myself. I figured that if I *didn't* purchase FSD the chances of this happening were worse

I wanted to support the cause.

I have been extremely happy with what I have gotten in the mean time. I started with a car that couldn't go over the Santa Cruz mountains w/o giving me a heart attack it drove so close to the concrete barriers. A few months later it would take me 65 miles from my mother in laws house to my exit for Alameda w/o my inputing any control inputs other than confirming I was still there by tugging the wheel. A fortunate quirk of that drive was no lane changes were required for such a great distance, and so many different driving conditions, I told EVERYONE about that drive.

When they added interchange tracking and auto lane change I was able to drive from LA to SF w/o input other than driving down the Supercharger exit. I have been using that for more than a year and it covers 99% of my driving. Up to the cabin on the weekends, up to the Mother in laws house to fix it up to sell now that she's gone. I just got back from a 5000 mile road trip to the meet up in SD and thru to Seattle to visit family. So easy with the car doing all the driving.

FSD is just around the corner now, not sure why everyone has gotten so bleak all of a sudden. Where was this trash talk in 2019 when people had owned FSD cars for three years with nothing really full to show.
I appreciate you sharing your experience with it. I wonder if my dealer will allow me to take a FSD vehicle on a test drive just to check out the differences between FSD (as its presently constituted) and AP (which I adore).

I probably should have asked for that during the test drive, but there were so many new things to figure out, I did not want to monkey around with FSD.

This is not a car I am replacing after three years. While I don't run cars into the ground, I do drive them for a good while, so I am in this vehicle for the long haul.

Until FSD gets released it's not really that different, but as I said above, I am supporting the cause to bring it out. If people act all stand-offish and don't express interest it will be LONGER until they get all the resources mustered (if ever) to get it past regulators so it will be legal to sleep in the back while the car drives you overnight to the next town on your tour. Or to send your car on a round trip to a friend's in another town to have it pick up something he has finished 3D printing for you...

Can you prove that? What are you basing that opinion on? Because FSD has been around the corner for 4 years now according to Elon, so what inside knowledge do you have to make that claim?

People get more bleak as time goes on, that’s just how it is. The longer people wait to receive something they paid for the more upset they get, that’s just how humans are. I’ve literally never met anyone who’s gotten happier the longer they had to wait for a product they paid for.

Reactions: Wol747
Prove that FSD is around the corner? It's not like "around the corner" is a specific amount of time. I was being very Elon like

But I thought that those refreshed Model S's have the new software on them, so there are people driving around with the 4D software outside of the beta drivers. With each delivery we are coming closer to the 4D software being released to the general population.

It may be that since getting to drive as I described above requires government employees to certify that it's a better idea to let the cars drive than the people drive and thus FSD will never be legal. Who knows, but I do find Christmas always arrives faster if I am focused on other stuff.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
For those who have their Model S refresh now and have some prior experience using Autopilot in other Teslas, a question: now that Tesla has enabled the cabin camera, are you experiencing nags when looking at your phone even with you hand on the yoke? I assume not if there is enough torque applied, but thought I'd confirm nonetheless.

Any other feedback about nags on basic Autopilot is certainly welcome (frequency, yoke torque sensing, etc.).

• Funny
For those who have their Model S refresh now and have some prior experience using Autopilot in other Teslas, a question: now that Tesla has enabled the cabin camera, are you experiencing nags when looking at your phone even with you hand on the yoke? I assume not if there is enough torque applied, but thought I'd confirm nonetheless.

Any other feedback about nags on basic Autopilot is certainly welcome (frequency, yoke torque sensing, etc.).
I have a '21 SR+ with FSD. I've had pretty long stretches of highway checking email without the car disengaging. I'm not sure the cabin camera does much of anything, really (I know what it is supposed to do).

Oh, crazy. So does it nag more to grab the wheel if the camera is covered up?
I test drove a new Model Y yesterday running the latest software to see how the cabin camera impacts nag behavior. I couldn't sense any difference in nag frequency when purposely looking down at my phone. I didn't attempt to cover the cabin camera, but I suspect that Tesla will eventually disable Autopilot from working if the camera is covered.

I didn't attempt to cover the cabin camera, but I suspect that Tesla will eventually disable Autopilot from working if the camera is covered.
A large number of Tesla owners have the camera covered, and not a single one has reported that AP stops working due to this.

Oh, crazy. So does it nag more to grab the wheel if the camera is covered up?
No, it nags less, like the camera doesn't even exist. It appears to be an OR situation- the torque sensor or the camera can trigger a nag, but they don't know about one another at all.

A large number of Tesla owners have the camera covered, and not a single one has reported that AP stops working due to this.

No, it nags less, like the camera doesn't even exist. It appears to be an OR situation- the torque sensor or the camera can trigger a nag, but they don't know about one another at all.
I didn’t say that it presently does. I said that I suspect it will eventually happen. After so many years of witnessing features on my Tesla cars evolve due to software updates, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised that Tesla implements such. Lawsuits and threats of regulatory action are eventually going to catch up with Tesla. Otherwise, why enable cabin monitoring in the first place?