Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update failed to apply - Aug 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nope. My 2020 LR+ (Raven) also had a failed SD card. This is the one in the MCU2 that’s used for map storage etc. Not the Teslacam storage.

Something is up with this firmware. Too many sudden SD card failures to be a coincidence.
I suspect it’s not so much a failure but some sort of corruption, and replacing the SD card is the faster, cheaper and more reliable fix.
Interesting they are still dealing with failed memory (the eMMC was, of course, soldered onto the board), this time with an easily replaceable standard SD card.

Interesting they are still dealing with failed memory (the eMMC was, of course, soldered onto the board), this time with an easily replaceable standard SD card.
I’m not convinced it’s really failed. I think there was some data corruption, and the quick fix was to replace the card rather than format and test it. It’s a cheap enough part, likely more cost effective to just replace.

• Helpful
Reactions: rxlawdude
nope. My 2020 LR+ (Raven) also had a failed SD card. This is the one in the MCU2 that’s used for map storage etc. Not the Teslacam storage.

Something is up with this firmware. Too many sudden SD card failures to be a coincidence.
I suspect it’s not so much a failure but some sort of corruption, and replacing the SD card is the faster, cheaper and more reliable fix.
+1 I have the same vehicle and the same problem.

Вдалося встановити 2021.12.25.7 після 7 невдалих спроб.
Дякую всім за рекомендації.

Послідовність як вдалося встановити оновлення:
1. Від`єднав SSD Samsung T5
2. Поїздив кілька днів, щоб підзарядити акумулятор (на той випадок
I think Jetwash is referring to the the sentry mode SD/USB drive. When I had my install fail, they told me to remove it before they tried the install again.
Finally, I was able to install 2021.12.25.7 after 7 failed attempts.
Thank you all for the recommendations.

The sequence of how to install the update:

1. Disconnected the Samsung T5 from the SSD
2. I drove a car for a few days to recharge the battery (in case the 12V battery was discharged via the Samsung T5 SSD)
3. I asked the service center to resend the software update to me (it came 2 days after the SMS response that they sent it)
4. Changed the size/type of disks so that the computer completely rebooted
5. Update 2021.12.25.7 has been installed

Most likely, with a new update, Tesla would fix this problem, but I was very worried, because a few days before I received a message from the service center that I need to come to them to fix the problem. There is no service center in Ukraine - it was necessary to go to the neighboring country Poland.

Thank you all for your help!

Do NOT UPDATE! I tried 5 times to get the newest update and after several phone calls with Tesla they tried to force it to my car. After the last time, I received several error messages saying things aren’t working and one important one telling me the car is not drivable. Had to call a tow truck to come out and take it to a SC. While trying to get my X out of my garage in town mode the car completely lost all power and was dead. SC still doesn’t know what’s wrong with the vehicle.
I had same issues, 3 attempts to get tow trucks to get the car out of garage. They all drove off without my x. Last attempt I tried was to jump start the 12volts battery n the car came alive. Not sure if it is the 12volt battery or update that keeps failing. I have appointment with Tesla next week. At this point I’m happy I can drive it, but will travel with my portable jumping battery.

Im having the same trouble with my 2020 Model X LR. The update keeps failing. Then the car wouldn't start up. I had to do a hard reset (change wheel size) to get it started. My service appointment is in a few weeks. Hopefully the car will last that long.

I've had 3 software failures since august on my 2019 Raven Model X. One which left me stranded 2.5hrs away from a service center. The console was completely dead, I managed to get the center screen on but it did not have any cellular connectivity. AC was stuck on and it would not respond to the controls. I managed to tether via wifi to my phone while on the phone with Tesla Support. They weren't able to remedy the issue remotely but did provide a hint that ultimately saved my weekend. I needed to do a hard reboot by disconnecting the 12v battery as well as the high voltage battery. This involved taking my frunk apart with a cheap wrench that I picked up at the supermarket which I was parked at. All was well after the hard reboot. The most recent failed software update was this weekend. With the first two updates I did notice that the download rate drops to 0bps at around 50%. At that time I was trying to download the update while tethered to my iPhone so I blamed it on T-Mobile for possibly blocking my connection. But the last failure occurred while connected to my home WFI.

I've had 3 software failures since august on my 2019 Raven Model X. One which left me stranded 2.5hrs away from a service center. The console was completely dead, I managed to get the center screen on but it did not have any cellular connectivity. AC was stuck on and it would not respond to the controls. I managed to tether via wifi to my phone while on the phone with Tesla Support. They weren't able to remedy the issue remotely but did provide a hint that ultimately saved my weekend. I needed to do a hard reboot by disconnecting the 12v battery as well as the high voltage battery. This involved taking my frunk apart with a cheap wrench that I picked up at the supermarket which I was parked at. All was well after the hard reboot. The most recent failed software update was this weekend. With the first two updates I did notice that the download rate drops to 0bps at around 50%. At that time I was trying to download the update while tethered to my iPhone so I blamed it on T-Mobile for possibly blocking my connection. But the last failure occurred while connected to my home WFI.
Same problem. What’s the fix?

They sent 2021.32.22 a second time and it installed fine yesterday. I have a service appointment tomorrow. I will discuss it with them and report back.
yesterday I lost mobile connection entirely. I turned off and turned it back on. It took a while but everything came back. Also I am now able to see the screen that says I have the latest software. Before it would just load

yesterday I lost mobile connection entirely. I turned off and turned it back on. It took a while but everything came back. Also I am now able to see the screen that says I have the latest software. Before it would just load
Reach out to tech support, they can diagnose your car remotely while you have them on the phone. One of my failures was not resolvable with the normal two wheels down reboot. I had to reboot the 12v system which required to disconnect the 12v battery as well as the high voltage battery. I got that hint from tech support though she did not specifically tell me to go ahead and do that.