Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update fails to Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had an update start and then just fail to install? I took my car in for service today and they pushed the latest update. But every time I try to install it, it starts but then cancels and says it failed to install.

I have done a reset and tried it again with the same result.

Any thoughts?

Ask for a reformat of the SD card. According to what I was told by Sunnyvale SC, that's what worked for me.

This is assuming that your car is connected to Wi-Fi during the update process..
No, don't ask for a reformat of the SD card. Just because that was someone's issue doesn't mean it's yours. You can't diagnose the problem but Tesla can. Just call and tell them your update failed and they'll take it from there. When an update failed on my Model S several years ago they pushed the update again and it worked. But a different car may have had a different problem.

Had this recently when 2019.5.15 failed to install. Tesla has to restart/reset the install. It worked on the second try but I had to ‘wake up’ the car using the app (using unlock) since they couldn’t access it and I couldn’t reboot it. They said they had a few instances of these. Something about boot loader failure.

Something to keep in mind that the app has access even when the car seems dead sometimes!