Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update fails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Rocklin SC this morning pick up my car and they forgot the install crome passenger window door trim and the car had been already washed before installing the trim. I asked would it be an issue that the car was washed without the trim installed first and they said no because it's sealed inside the door. So they took the car back into service, popped in the chrome door trim and installed a front passenger seat (that they were holding for the mobile service), then they did a firmware update but it failed multiple times, so now they're currently trying to diagnose why the update keeps failing, any ideas?

I went to Rocklin SC this morning pick up my car and they forgot the install crome passenger window door trim and the car had been already washed before installing the trim. I asked would it be an issue that the car was washed without the trim installed first and they said no because it's sealed inside the door. So they took the car back into service, popped in the chrome door trim and installed a front passenger seat (that they were holding for the mobile service), then they did a firmware update but it failed multiple times, so now they're currently trying to diagnose why the update keeps failing, any ideas?

I'll take "Mismatched module software versions" for $100, Alex. Seat software version may be out of sync with the rest of the car.

Reactions: outdoors
Yeah will do, went there at 8: 30 in the morning today to pick up car, my day looks shot, wifes pissed I spend way too much time with this car, I'm starting to see what she's thinking, hate it when she's right

It's never fun to deal with breakdowns. Wife got a SUV, first month nail through the side wall, second month got backed into, third month rock cracked the windshield.
They'll get it fixed.

Last edited:
Well, checked in with SC around 2:30pm, they said it's because of the seat they installed (it's the redesign one) and car does not recognize it. They are waiting on a engineer to respond so they can reformat the on board SD card, and they will deliver the car to me tomorrow (so they say).

@mongo wins the prize of unlimited good fortune, now please intern at Rocklin SC because you are there only hope.

• Funny
Reactions: mongo
The car should scan for all modules and build a list of versions for each module and then load the driver code associated with each module. This really should not be so difficult to maintain a database and compatibility and auto check for compatibility of a release before it is released against every car. As well a clear message before firmware upload should indicate compatibility. And subsequent to loading, checksums and package contents should be double checked to what is loaded. This is what happens when programmers have the mentality everything will go as expected rather than how to detect and correct the unexpected. I think they have many programmers not suited for automotive programming.

The car should scan for all modules and build a list of versions for each module and then load the driver code associated with each module. This really should not be so difficult to maintain a database and compatibility and auto check for compatibility of a release before it is released against every car. As well a clear message before firmware upload should indicate compatibility. And subsequent to loading, checksums and package contents should be double checked to what is loaded. This is what happens when programmers have the mentality everything will go as expected rather than how to detect and correct the unexpected. I think they have many programmers not suited for automotive programming.

It likely is doing that, which is why the update is failing after they installed a new passenger seat with its own ECU. The issue being the seat version does not match/ is incompatible with the rest of the car. Perhaps due to a message set change, or due to being a release ahead of the other modules.

they said it's because of the seat they installed (it's the redesign one) and car does not recognize it