Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0FF885E5-C0B1-4CFD-A9B5-6770E505B1F9.jpeg

After back and forth with Tesla exchanging emails, they refused to replace my screen unless I pay 1370 dollars. I have 3700 miles on my new Model S bought less than 2 months ago. I drove around 1000 miles before I noticed yellow border. I have emailed Tesla to figure out if the replacement screen is the most recent version. Have appointment scheduled for Friday to have the screen replaced. It looks like they don't have the fix even on the new screen and cannot guarantee this would not happen again.

Baffled how Tesla continues to sell and deliver New Tesla model S/X with a defective screen that will not be covered by warranty

After back and forth with Tesla exchanging emails, they refused to replace my screen unless I pay 1370 dollars. I have 3700 miles on my new Model S bought less than 2 months ago. I drove around 1000 miles before I noticed yellow border. I have emailed Tesla to figure out if the replacement screen is the most recent version. Have appointment scheduled for Friday to have the screen replaced. It looks like they don't have the fix even on the new screen and cannot guarantee this would not happen again.

Baffled how Tesla continues to sell and deliver New Tesla model S/X with a defective screen that will not be covered by warranty

Do not pay for a new screen, you will be wasting your money without assurances it is no longer defective material.

I just took my X in to have some other issues corrected, and they game me a December 2018 S loaner with 3k miles. Check out the border on this one....ABSOLUTELY BRTUAL. This car is just 6 months old. My X is a October 2017 and doesn’t look this bad yet, but I am not looking forward to what comes next. The adviser there told me the same thing, they are not doing any replacements as of now until they find a fix...I didn’t even bother asking when that would be.

Attachments

• 12A235DD-0BFC-4D0F-B9FD-E340B0B3DAE7.jpeg
    12A235DD-0BFC-4D0F-B9FD-E340B0B3DAE7.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 147
  • B1FFBD00-0A37-47E2-BF54-04A89A9013D8.jpeg
    B1FFBD00-0A37-47E2-BF54-04A89A9013D8.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 143
Hi SeaDoc,

The new FSD computer for replacement of 2.0 and 2.5 hardware is indeed a computer 3.0 that installs to the right side of the glove box and replaces the current slower FSD computer.

It does not entail replacing the computer screen...

Shawn

Do not pay for a new screen, you will be wasting your money without assurances it is no longer defective material.

I just took my X in to have some other issues corrected, and they game me a December 2018 S loaner with 3k miles. Check out the border on this one....ABSOLUTELY BRTUAL. This car is just 6 months old. My X is a October 2017 and doesn’t look this bad yet, but I am not looking forward to what comes next. The adviser there told me the same thing, they are not doing any replacements as of now until they find a fix...I didn’t even bother asking when that would be.
Am I missing something? How is this absolutely brutal? It doesn’t look that bad to me. Obviously it needs to be fixed at Tesla’s expense, but seems easy to live with for a few months. Does it affect visibility of the rest of the screen?

• Disagree
Reactions: re04586
Am I missing something? How is this absolutely brutal? It doesn’t look that bad to me. Obviously it needs to be fixed at Tesla’s expense, but seems easy to live with for a few months. Does it affect visibility of the rest of the screen?

Electroman,

- I’m not sure if you are missing something, the pics are about the yellow lines.

- “Absolutely brutal” might be semantics, I may just have higher expectations than you. I would not accept this on my TV, my phone, my computer screen - I sure as hell don’t want to put up with this on a $100k car.

- I can live with it for a few months, but if you have been following this saga closely, this issue has been going on for a couple YEARS, and during that time they have replaced screens with similarly defective ones. Years should be ample time to get this addressed - they haven’t.

- No, it does not affect the visibility of the rest of the screen.

Electroman,

- I’m not sure if you are missing something, the pics are about the yellow lines.

- “Absolutely brutal” might be semantics, I may just have higher expectations than you. I would not accept this on my TV, my phone, my computer screen - I sure as hell don’t want to put up with this on a $100k car.

- I can live with it for a few months, but if you have been following this saga closely, this issue has been going on for a couple YEARS, and during that time they have replaced screens with similarly defective ones. Years should be ample time to get this addressed - they haven’t.

I think it looks cool. Maybe I could find someone to swap screens with.

How is this acceptable? When you buy a new car, pay 85K, drive less than 1000 miles, and all of a sudden you see a yellow border on the screen which is the main hub for the car and get a response from Tesla stating it is only a cosmetic defect which does not interfere with functioning of the car and expect you to pay 1400 dollars for a fix. I was told this is only going to get worse.

This happened less than 6 weeks after buying the car. The worst part is, they acknowledge there is no permanent fix to the issue, but can wait for a UV light fix, which I believe is a temporary fix assuming it works.

If underlying issue is not rectified, may be we will need to schedule appointments every 6 months to get a UV treatment for the screen. They acknowledge that the revised screen also has the same issue. Does this means they are selling new Model S/X with a defective screen?

Would like to know from fellow owners who paid for revised new screen if the yellow border has returned?

I love my Tesla, enjoy being in the car every minute, thoroughly enjoy driving experience but hate to constantly see a defective screen . Huge distraction as I keep looking at the screen during driving!!

Electroman,

I’m with you, of the pictures you showed that yellow border is really bad. When I had it it was a mild highlight. I could live with it if it cost $100 originally but I do have a problem with how they are handling things. I guess this goes in the name of company survival to reduce all costs possible.